Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I want him gone until we reach the 2pts a game average. At that point I'll be happy to see how long he can maintain it. 

I doubt he will achieve it though. 

As long as he continues at 3 points per game, I'll be happy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

As an 'outer', I would need to see the good performances replicated over a number of weeks, featuring the ability to win successive matches, especially away from home. If We see 80% norwich type performances over the next  few months, then I will acknowledge he has very, very belatedly found an effective formula - but he will need to be alert to teams sussing out our hypothetical strengths and have plan's b and c waiting. I was happy with saturday's win and he get's his share of the credit for it, but as with any new dawn, we've been here before. I recall a particularly promising match v Preston I think it was last season before it went to pot. 

I would be delighted to see us improve and maintain that. It is infinitely preferable to more chopping and changing, but I do remain skeptical. If he were to get us up then I would support him staying on to see how he fares in the Premiership again, though I do not believe he is a long term solution - but those are all hypotheticals that are a long way away. So far we've 1.5 decent performances away sandwiching some utter dross away from home. 

Let's see.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vreitti said:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villas-conor-hourihane-hat-13504937

Guess we can drop the debate whether we'd have had the same result with Gabby or Hogan up top.

“He was the main reason I had so much joy.” CH

There was no debate in my opinion. Proof was in the last 6 months! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

There was no debate in my opinion. Proof was in the last 6 months! 

This to me this is two fingers up to Bruce from Conor. It feels as though the players have been wanting a change, but to no prevail. When the change was finally made Saturday the players not only played better they looked like they enjoyed it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

So I am definitely in the out camp. Bruce for me is not adventurous enough for a club like Villa and is a lower end of the premier league slogger. There is a reason he has 4 promotions - he has ended up in the Championship A LOT, premier league clubs have not exactly fallen over themselves to hire him - that should say a lot. He also has two relegations from the prem lets not forget. He is good at getting the best out of a skillfully poor but hardworking team. He has never shown flair in his teams and has never managed at the top end of the prem. He also apparently stays awake all night worrying about losing. Not something that instills confidence is it!

He has not, over 40+ games consistently demonstrated a game plan, a playing style, a first choice team or a plan B. He has not shown an ability to change a game when it is going against us or even try until it is too late.

What I want to see from Bruce, if he is to stay, a period of 10+ wins where it looks like we deserved to win where we looked convincing and didn't only play for 1 half of the game. Not like the winning run last season where the wins were not convincing and there was a fair degree of luck, and you just felt that we could not sustain it - and we didn't. Norwich was a good start. 10 more performances like that and I will have been brought onside. I would even accept a couple of draws in some circumstances (i.e. not if we throw away a 3-0 lead and draw 3-3) .

Each win or decent performance that he gets (like Norwich) buys him until the next game in my eyes. 

Apart from the bolded part I agree with you completely. It's where I'm at.

But the bolded part has always bothered me about the Bruce out camp. Whilst we are where we are we're never going to get a top end of the prem manager. We're shopping in the lower end prem league slogger bin, or talented foreign manager with no experience bin. We are in the championship and any thoughts about the premier league should be shelved until we're there. If Bruce gets us up I think he knows full well he'll get a golden handshake and we begin the next phase. 4 promotions from the league we're in shouldn't be sniffed at. Any of Bruce's premier league time means nothing to the here and now of where we're at.

I want Bruce to get us OUT. I don't care how he performed in the league above. It's not important.

However if we get rid. I don't think the next guy will have enough time to get us up. Which leaves us looking for a guy who could potentially manage in the prem and get us promoted which if we're honest is going to take two seasons minimum.

6 hours ago, villan_007 said:

Apart from the bolded part I agree with you completely. It's where I'm at.

But the bolded part has always bothered me about the Bruce out camp. Whilst we are where we are we're never going to get a top end of the prem manager. We're shopping in the lower end prem league slogger bin, or talented foreign manager with no experience bin. We are in the championship and any thoughts about the premier league should be shelved until we're there. If Bruce gets us up I think he knows full well he'll get a golden handshake and we begin the next phase. 4 promotions from the league we're in shouldn't be sniffed at. Any of Bruce's premier league time means nothing to the here and now of where we're at.

I want Bruce to get us OUT. I don't care how he performed in the league above. It's not important.

However if we get rid. I don't think the next guy will have enough time to get us up. Which leaves us looking for a guy who could potentially manage in the prem and get us promoted which if we're honest is going to take two seasons minimum.

And those are fair points BUT, that was more in response to the bolded bit below. Sorry - should have made it clearer.

This post is not meant as a dig to anyone, but just out of interest...what would it take for those firmly with two feet in the 'Bruce out' camp to switch to 'Bruce in'? Whilst i accept that one performance shouldn't drastically change an opinion, for better or worse, lets say that we go to Bristol and turn them over comprehensively, and follow it up with some impressive performances and results, how many would it take for opinions to change?

I'm sure I've seen posts saying they would still want him out if he took us up as he isn't the right man to keep us there, which to me sounds odd...i think if you have been promoted, you deserve the right to play/manage in your new division (see Bournemouth, who had much the same team out when they played us in their first game).

FWIW, I was leaning towards 'out' after the Cardiff game but back on the fence now after Norwich...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bunnski said:

I'm not saying that it was all down to Davis or that it was pure luck but all I'm saying is we didn't control the game and we nearly threw it away by letting Norwich back into it twice, their was a goal line scramble and a header from a corner, either of those could of went in and made it 3-3. Hopefully Bruce will start setting us up to score goals as well as keep it tight at the back, then he can start having a go at the fans who have being rightly pissed off at him for the shite hes served up.

We hit the bar twice, missed 2 (3?) one-on-ones, their keeper made a great save from Davis' header and Hourihane placed a pretty straight forward shot just wide of the post early on too.  If you're going to be critical about Norwich potentially being let in, I think you need to also acknowledge that we should have scored plenty more, too.

If that final score was 8-3, it wouldn't have been unfair given the chances we created.

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Only thing can save Bruce is take the shackles off, play players in their proper positions i.e. Hourihane, and drop duds like Gabby and Hutton

Another post that I agree with totally. The question is can Bruce do it? More to the point, would he keep doing it when all his more experienced first choice players are available?

28 minutes ago, bobzy said:

We hit the bar twice, missed 2 (3?) one-on-ones, their keeper made a great save from Davis' header and Hourihane placed a pretty straight forward shot just wide of the post early on too.  If you're going to be critical about Norwich potentially being let in, I think you need to also acknowledge that we should have scored plenty more, too.

If that final score was 8-3, it wouldn't have been unfair given the chances we created.

Ye we had chances but we also let Norwich back into the game and need to control games better, twice we let a 2 goal lead slip.

2 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

Another post that I agree with totally. The question is can Bruce do it? More to the point, would he keep doing it when all his more experienced first choice players are available?

You should seldom change a winning lineup/formation. Especially not in our situation, where Bruce hasn't managed to produce anything close to last weeks performance before, in his 40+ games in charge.

Â