Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, AndyM3000 said:

The real test is if he starts Alan Hutton, once you do that there's no going back for me.

And if Hutton plays the game of his life and is man of the match in a 4-0 win? Tough shit, too late, no going back?

Just now, Wainy316 said:

In his first press conference I fully expect for Bruce to apologise for those two headers against Sheffield Wednesday and to admit that the game should have long been finished by the time he scored the second.  

Never thought to blame a player for scoring for his own team in the time allowed by the game officials. :huh: I've always held that particular result against the referee and his dodgy 'play until you score' minutes. :rant:

16 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

What does getting behind the manager even mean. I'll continue to cheer for the team, I won't boo or jeer Bruce, but I will continue to bleieve the we could have made a much more forward-looking appointment

Then it turns out you were getting behind him without even realising it :D  Oh and please put the potato back in the bag.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

What? :crylaugh:

No I'm not, not even close.

I'm saying supporters should get behind the new manager because it's common sense to get behind him until he shows anything to prove otherwise.

Cheers,  I'll take the last 15 years experience of Steve bruce then to prove to me why I shouldnt "get behind him"

19 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Set aside whatever preconceptions you may have of him the minute he becomes Villa manager. It's what he does in the dugout at Villa Park that he should be judged by. 

No no no.  People are justifying his appointment by his career to date ,  what he has done to date.  If that can be used for justification it can also be used for judgement

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Not moaning about the appointment or showing dissent at games or doing anything other than being encouraging toward the manager?

Massive difference for me between discussing/disagreeing with the appointment and showing dissent at games. 

I remember you were also a keen supporter of RDM and said very similar things about him - was his failure our fault too?

Just now, VillaCas said:

Massive difference for me between discussing/disagreeing with the appointment and showing dissent at games. 

I remember you were also a keen supporter of RDM and said very similar things about him - was his failure our fault too?

"A keen supporter of RDM" - superb.

What similar things did I say about him anyway? Whose "fault" are you on about?

16 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's pretty obvious.

That, regardless of your previous perceptions, as soon as he's appointed, you're behind him until he proves otherwise.

But it won't happen. As soon as the first goal goes in against us, point-scoring galore. We all know how this place works.

You just keep saying "get behind him" but what do you mean? Should we close the discussion thread? Are any doubters to be badged poisonous and disgusting?

2 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

I think that in world football there are dozens of possibilities that would have been better than Bruce (in my opinion). Clearly there is no guarantee that any manager will win promotion

Without listing them and knowing for certain they were genuinely available, it is pointless in guessing (because that's all it could be - guessing), whether those that were possibly available would be any better than or worse than Bruce. In the meantime we could be more focused in wishing our new manager the very best success at our beloved club.

I've still yet to learn of any benefit to our club in not supporting our new manager.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

There are elements to the Villa fanbase that are absolutely poisonous.  We can have new owners, new managers, new players, but until our fans are all pointing in the same direction we've got absolutely no chance.

It's disgusting.

I dunno, Rob, I mean I don't disagree that any club has a few people who could be called poisonous, or whatever, if that's what you want to do. But it seems a bit of an OTT statement (mind you this is the interwebs, so fair play) to make based around some posters on here not thinking much of Bruce as a manager. Must admit I'm one of them.

Sure, yes, it seems he's been picked to be next man in, and there's now't can be done anyway, but can't people discuss it all, pros and cons etc. without being considered to be "not getting behind" or worse being thought of as "poisonous"?

I haven't looked at any other Villa sites, but I'd imagine they'd have a mix of views on potato head, too (can I still call him that, or isn't it allowed any more under the new "get behind him" regime?).

If he is the next manager then good luck to him, genuinely, but a history of doing a runner, of relegations and promotions, of ropy transfer choices and teams descending into messes seems to me grounds for scepticism (as well as optimism).

A number of people have posted along the lines of get us up, then get rid - I mean that indicates that of those who actually actively wanted him, they don't see him as really up to the job long term.

[Sorry to pick on your post, which was fine, it's just the key for me writing something.]

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

You just keep saying "get behind him" but what do you mean? Should we close the discussion thread? Are any doubters to be badged poisonous and disgusting?

THIS a thousand times this.

Just now, Richard said:

No no no.  People are justifying his appointment by his career to date ,  what he has done to date.  If that can be used for justification it can also be used for judgement

Nothing wrong with being against his appointment Richard. It's using this opposition to the manager after he's appointed to unfairly get on his back and be against him no matter what he does. That's what getting behind him means, supporting him regardless of what you thought of him. 

It goes both ways in that if you were really in favor of his appointment, that shouldn't affect your judgement of his performance as Villa manager and blind you to his shortcomings. But once he's manager, it's a clean slate and ultimately it's what he does as our manager that counts...and not what he did at Blues or Sunderland 10 years ago.

• Like 3

Â