Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Fair play to him but he couldn't get us into this league. Never got close 

Apart from getting 90 minutes away in a play off final, But other than that you are 100% correct he never got close did he. 

Honestly you Bruce haters need to have a word with yourselves you lot are starting to come out with Boris Johnson levels of bullsh*t

2 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

Apart from getting 90 minutes away in a play off final, But other than that you are 100% correct he never got close did he. 

Honestly you Bruce haters need to have a word with yourselves you lot are starting to come out with Boris Johnson levels of bullsh*t

It think your analogy is Laboured.

1 hour ago, Stuartc445 said:

Or Corbyn levels of bullsh*t.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

People go on about modern football has moved on and Bruce's style of football is dead.

And yet here he is in 2019. Beating Man U, Spurs and drawing against Man City. Sitting comfortably mid table with a mediocre side.

The accusations aimed at him was always iffy......The club management he had to work with and what Dean has to work with is a world of difference.....Steve's last season done him, I think too many things conspired against him.....He didn't deal with the Centre back situation very well, but no different from Dean not dealing with the striker situation very well.....things can conspire against managers.....we don't always know the things they want to fix, but can't, for many reasons.

I didn't like his style, but Dean has got better players....If SB had of had £130 mill, he would have brought in some decent stuff IMO.

I am not going to turn on Dean Smith......but some big questions need answering.....some of our issues and self inflicted and have been with us for more time than is feasible....they need fixing.

Winning games is key to stability.....no 2 ways about it.......you can't continue losing in any league and expect patience.

We are not just losing.....we are showing signs of  poor play in aspects of our game.....we show good signs in some things granted.....but the bad things are instrumental in opponents undoing us.

Whether some of the foreign players show signs of improvement in the future, I have no idea....but there are clear issues to fix.

17 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

People go on about modern football has moved on and Bruce's style of football is dead.

And yet here he is in 2019. Beating Man U, Spurs and drawing against Man City. Sitting comfortably mid table with a mediocre side.

Ive seen 1 Newcastle game all season. Happily never to watch that again

6 hours ago, TRO said:

The accusations aimed at him was always iffy......The club management he had to work with and what Dean has to work with is a world of difference.....Steve's last season done him, I think too many things conspired against him.....He didn't deal with the Centre back situation very well, but no different from Dean not dealing with the striker situation very well.....things can conspire against managers.....we don't always know the things they want to fix, but can't, for many reasons.

I didn't like his style, but Dean has got better players....If SB had of had £130 mill, he would have brought in some decent stuff IMO.

I am not going to turn on Dean Smith......but some big questions need answering.....some of our issues and self inflicted and have been with us for more time than is feasible....they need fixing.

Winning games is key to stability.....no 2 ways about it.......you can't continue losing in any league and expect patience.

We are not just losing.....we are showing signs of  poor play in aspects of our game.....we show good signs in some things granted.....but the bad things are instrumental in opponents undoing us.

Whether some of the foreign players show signs of improvement in the future, I have no idea....but there are clear issues to fix.

We spent most of that 120m to simply tread water as the team that finished 5th in the Championship. Bruce spent 70m+ this season to improve on an established PL side. If you're going to bring transfers into this, at least let's not ignore context.

In any case, I'm not sure what the point of comparing Bruce and Smith in 2 different jobs right now is. If any comparison can be made, surely the most accurate one would be the one where they both managed Villa in the Championship in 2018 where one of them got us promoted and the other didn't.

14 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We spent most of that 120m to simply tread water as the team that finished 5th in the Championship. Bruce spent 70m+ this season to improve on an established PL side. If you're going to bring transfers into this, at least let's not ignore context.

Fair point. Although it's never easy to get such a good start at a new job. Especially in this league.

Smith also had 2/3 of a season + a full pre season behind his belt. Bruce came in fairly late.

Look at some of the result he's got. You have to give credit where it's due.

Edited by villalad21

21 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Fair point. Although it's never easy to get such a good start at a new job. Especially in this league.

Smith also had 2/3 of a season + a full pre season behind his belt. Bruce came in fairly late.

Look at some of the result he's got. You have to give credit where it's due.

He's done very well, credit to him. It's still early days though, and 2 years of experience tells me it's not built to last.

8 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

and 2 years of experience tells me it's not built to last.

I don't know. This defensive style is pretty well drilled into the players because of  Rafa.

I don't think they mind the style of play at all.

They've got Burnley away coming up and then Palace at home those fixtures are harder than they look, should they stumbe in those they then play, Mancheter United (a), Everton (h), Leicester (h), Wolves (a), Chelsea (h) and Everton (a), so I think the potential is there for them to go on a bad run over the rest of December and January and get dragged back into the relegation fight.

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

In any case, I'm not sure what the point of comparing Bruce and Smith in 2 different jobs right now is. If any comparison can be made, surely the most accurate one would be the one where they both managed Villa in the Championship in 2018 where one of them got us promoted and the other didn't.

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I was answering other post

but,Hold on a minute....not much difference in the  ownership is there.........much. crikey that's a  bit rich......but equally that money Bruce Spent, Dean inherited as well, like John McGinn......so at least present a fair comparison.....accurate to suit your argument, Dean in his own admission praised some of the players Bruce left him....the money Bruce spent was largely capitalised in Deans inheritance.

get out of it.....If Newcastle was bottom you would be rubbing his nose in it.....at least be honest.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I was answering other post

but,Hold on a minute....not much difference in the  ownership is there.........much. crikey that's a  bit rich......but equally that money Bruce Spent, Dean inherited as well, like John McGinn......so at least present a fair comparison.....accurate to suit your argument, Dean in his own admission praised some of the players Bruce left him....the money Bruce spent was largely capitalised in Deans inheritance.

get out of it.....If Newcastle was bottom you would be rubbing his nose in it.....at least be honest.

Smith getting promoted with Bruce's squad is probably the most damning way to look at it, but yes that's what happened. The point was if you wanted to compare managerial ability, the best comparison I could think of is comparing the jobs they did while managing the same group of players, not 2 different teams with 2 different sets of circumstances.

As for the ownership, the Villa ownership only went sour for a couple of months in summer 2018, by which time Bruce was already in the job for 2 years, and our new owners were already in in time for the new summer window where Bruce signed some excellent players. Before that, Tony Xia backed his managers more than any other owner in Championship history. Whether it was with borrowed money or not, the tools were there. Talk about distorting history to suit a narrative.

I only care about Newcastle insofar as they affect our current relegation prospects. Bruce is doing an excellent job at the moment, and I quite enjoyed him doing us a favour against the Saints. But if he were to oblige and lead them to one of the relegation spots, I'd enjoy that just as much as long as it means we stay out. You're getting it twisted and projecting your Bruce support onto me. I couldn't care less about the man and what he does and I've felt that way the minute he was mercifully relieved of duty at our great club.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Smith getting promoted with Bruce's squad is probably the most damning way to look at it, but yes that's what happened. The point was if you wanted to compare managerial ability, the best comparison I could think of is comparing the jobs they did while managing the same group of players, not 2 different teams with 2 different sets of circumstances.

As for the ownership, the Villa ownership only went sour for a couple of months in summer 2018, by which time Bruce was already in the job for 2 years, and our new owners were already in in time for the new summer window where Bruce signed some excellent players. Before that, Tony Xia backed his managers more than any other owner in Championship history. Whether it was with borrowed money or not, the tools were there. Talk about distorting history to suit a narrative.

I only care about Newcastle insofar as they affect our current relegation prospects. Bruce is doing an excellent job at the moment, and I quite enjoyed him doing us a favour against the Saints. But if he were to oblige and lead them to one of the relegation spots, I'd enjoy that just as much as long as it means we stay out. You're getting it twisted and projecting your Bruce support onto me. I couldn't care less about the man and what he does and I've felt that way the minute he was mercifully relieved of duty at our great club.

I couldn't care less about him or Newcastle.....what I care about is presenting a fair case on a manger who inherited a team who couldn't buy a win and conceded goals worse than we are now. I don't support Bruce, I support a fair argument.

so his style was Cautious to a fault and boring with it....but he was never the devil as some portray....or the idiot, like some try to pedal.

Where was these unlimited funds he had from Xia....I think you are dreaming......He brought in McGinn, Tammy and John Terry, and helped Jack with his personal trainer to develop,not bad for a dinosaur.....sure he ****ed up with Hogan.....but its looking like we may have mark 2

Â