Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

It might be **** to watch....but when you want points it has an effect.

The upshot is....you play like us and win friends, but don't win matches.

I love the way we play and don't want to give it up....but **** me I wished we could play a bit ugly on occasions and gain points.

I don't. I'd rather go down playing like we do than scraping by playing turgid football like Bruce does. Genuinely mean that. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PieFacE said:

The wheels will come off eventually. Probably in his second season. His "style" of football simply isn't sustainable. 

It is hard to progress with it granted.

but equally, playing attacking football and can't defend is nearly as bad as playing defensive football and can't attack.

The trick is to be able to do both during a game......and control it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

I don't. I'd rather go down playing like we do than scraping by playing turgid football like Bruce does. Genuinely mean that. 

yeah ,I get that.

I agree....but I am so frustrated with some of conceded goals.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If Bruce was in charge of us we'd be cut adrift of safety now, he was lucky to inherit a ready made decent premier league squad in the summer so there was always a good chance he'd do better than many were predicting. From a Villa point of view I hope they lose today, but we could probably do with them winning at the weekend against Hasenhüttl's high flying Saints.

Edited by useless
I mean high flying over the last two games.
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, useless said:

If Bruce was in charge of us we'd be cut adrift of safety now, he was lucky to inherit a ready made decent premier league squad in the summer so there was always a good chance he'd do better than many were predicting. From a Villa point of view I hope they lose today, but we could probably do with them winning at the weekend against Hasenhüttl's high flying Saints.

He said in an interview last week he has had to bring in a completely new team

Link to post
Share on other sites

Leon Osman calling his performance tonight a 'tactical masterclass'. The bad news for Newcastle fans is the only way they're ever going to get him replaced as most of them wish, is if they're either sold or relegated, both looking unlikely at the moment.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say, while I would not want to watch that every week.....Newcastle did a job on Sheff Utd tonight.

a real defensive display of discipline.

I thought Sheff Utd have had a damn good season so far and their approach while unsophisticated, has been effective so far

Steve Bruce came with a plan, a defensive one, but got the 3 points ably marshalled by our ex Ciaran Clarke, who was outstanding.

Their second goal was interesting how winning an innocuous header created so much damage.

On the face of tonight, I think our result against them was a damn good one.....They had Sheff Utd stuffed up like a kipper.....and I think Sheff Utd are a good (albeit workman like)side.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it a masterclass? Did they do anything different from the game at VP where they got dominated, and will most weeks doing that. Going away from home and not participating, just sitting back and waiting. Urgh, horrible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Is it a masterclass? Did they do anything different from the game at VP where they got dominated, and will most weeks doing that. Going away from home and not participating, just sitting back and waiting. Urgh, horrible.

Well that is subjective.....but when you see a team Like Sheff Utd, crowd the ball and out gun teams at home with their high tempo and intensity, it was no mean feat.....They did a job, whether it was worth the sacrifice of eye candy, fans will have their own opinions on that.....my guess is, if we are struggling for points at the end of the year or indeed go down.....an approach like that might not seem so bad after all.

It wasn't pretty, granted...but effective.....as they say " Necessity is the mother of invention"

I don't subscribe to this theory of attractive football at all costs....I say get points and stay up, then regroup and work towards a better spectacle of football. I have to admit Deans style has seduced me , and its enjoyable to watch, buts its naive too.

They didn't do much different at our place but goals change games and our 2 set pieces opened them up....its questionable if goals from open play would have come....But I thought we played well that day, not just the result, some of the things ( about players)I have mentioned in other posts, was more evident against Newcastle.

Edited by TRO
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TRO said:

Well that is subjective.....but when you see a team Like Sheff Utd, crowd the ball and out gun teams at home with their high tempo and intensity, it was no mean feat.....They did a job, whether it was worth the sacrifice of eye candy, fans will have their own opinions on that.....my guess is, if we are struggling for points at the end of the year or indeed go down.....an approach like that might not seem so bad after all.

It wasn't pretty, granted...but effective.....as they say " Necessity is the mother of invention"

I don't subscribe to this theory of attractive football at all costs....I say get points and stay up, then regroup and work towards a better spectacle of football. I have to admit Deans style has seduced me , and its enjoyable to watch, buts its naive too.

They didn't do much different at our place but goals change games and our 2 set pieces opened them up....its questionable if goals from open play would have come....But I thought we played well that day, not just the result, some of the things ( about players)I have mentioned in other posts, was more evident against Newcastle.

One of the great joys in football is sneaking a 1-0 win away from home you probably don't deserve. 

I'd have no problem setting up like a Sheff U or a Burnley; kicking off with a defined plan, grinding out a result. I have no interest in playing Steve Bruce percentage football where the team goes out to sit in their own box and the game happens around them.

Compare Burnley and Newcastle at Villa park. Our performance didn't differ too much, the ambition of the opponents made those two matches very different.

I wouldn't complain if Smith tried, on occasion, a more reserved approach. It could yield results against better teams. If he went out playing Steve Bruce football, I'd be disappointed and wonder if he'd hit his head getting out of bed. We were right in the Chelsea game up to the end, they knew they were in a match even if they should have won by more.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

One of the great joys in football is sneaking a 1-0 win away from home you probably don't deserve. 

I'd have no problem setting up like a Sheff U or a Burnley; kicking off with a defined plan, grinding out a result. I have no interest in playing Steve Bruce percentage football where the team goes out to sit in their own box and the game happens around them.

Compare Burnley and Newcastle at Villa park. Our performance didn't differ too much, the ambition of the opponents made those two matches very different.

I wouldn't complain if Smith tried, on occasion, a more reserved approach. It could yield results against better teams. If he went out playing Steve Bruce football, I'd be disappointed and wonder if he'd hit his head getting out of bed. We were right in the Chelsea game up to the end, they knew they were in a match even if they should have won by more.

Martin O'Neillesque.

I think there is more chance of "you flying over the Himalaya's on a Pterodactyl with a coniferous tree in you hand whistling Dixie" than Dean smith playing Bruces 's style.

Overall, I like Deans approach, but now and again away from home, I would favour more of a desire to stop the opposition and catch them on the brake and bring the bacon home.

I have seen Bournemouth-Burnley -West Ham and Brighton.....make us work hard at our place.....I wish we could do more of that away from home.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Martin O'Neillesque.

I think there is more chance of "you flying over the Himalaya's on a Pterodactyl with a coniferous tree in you hand whistling Dixie" than Dean smith playing Bruces 's style.

Overall, I like Deans approach, but now and again away from home, I would favour more of a desire to stop the opposition and catch them on the brake and bring the bacon home.

I have seen Bournemouth-Burnley -West Ham and Brighton.....make us work hard at our place.....I wish we could do more of that.

Although brilliant for players' confidence, I think he almost has too much belief in them. Maybe it is possible to be going to Chelsea/City and outplaying them, but I can't see it with this current squad.

Also clearly great belief in his own coaching ability.

I love Dean Smith.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Although brilliant for players' confidence, I think he almost has too much belief in them. Maybe it is possible to be going to Chelsea/City and outplaying them, but I can't see it with this current squad.

Also clearly great belief in his own coaching ability.

I love Dean Smith.

Its hard not to 

I am totally behind him and the stability he brings to the club.

Better get back on to Steve Bruce.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................its gone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Is it a masterclass? Did they do anything different from the game at VP where they got dominated, and will most weeks doing that. Going away from home and not participating, just sitting back and waiting. Urgh, horrible.

No different at all. They just managed to score first with a great goal. It was a great tactical performance in isolation. It's a very effective tactic in one off games or a few of them, but as a long term strategy, it's really bad. It doesn't last as we know.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Today's game reminded me of when Leicester thumped Newcastle in late September. They were shambolic that day and generally looked a poor team destined for bottom 3.

Since then they've lost 2 league games in nearly three months. One to us and the other was away to Chelsea 1-0. This is despite their forward line never scoring.

Think that shows the much derided "premier league experience" can on occasions be a good thing.

I'd be surprised if we managed that sort of run even though we have the best fixture list of the season over next 10 games.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Today's game reminded me of when Leicester thumped Newcastle in late September. They were shambolic that day and generally looked a poor team destined for bottom 3.

Since then they've lost 2 league games in nearly three months. One to us and the other was away to Chelsea 1-0. This is despite their forward line never scoring.

Think that shows the much derided "premier league experience" can on occasions be a good thing.

I'd be surprised if we managed that sort of run even though we have the best fixture list of the season over next 10 games.

We need to find out this secret of winning without the forwards scoring

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â