Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, TRO said:

How many are in the current team?

I think we over estimated how good the squad was, then.

However, I agree with the Mings claim......I like hause too.

We had a very very good squad. Smith even admitted to it the minute he walked in and said he expected us to finish in the top 6 which we did.

Hourihane, McGinn, Grealish, Abraham, El Ghazi. They are top top Championship players. Like i said Bruce under performed massively.

Just now, villalad21 said:

We had a very very good squad. Smith even admitted to it the minute he walked in and said he expected us to finish in the top 6 which we did.

Hourihane, McGinn, Grealish, Abraham, El Ghazi. They are top top Championship players. Like i said Bruce under performed massively.

But we had no defense what so ever.

Hard to claim the squad was good when there is a massive hole in it.

Parts of the squad was very good.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah of course it wasn't all bad, would be silly to claim that. And even the things that were bad wasn't all his fault. Lerner, Xia, Wyness, RDM "helped" a lot with that.

Sadly for Bruce and us he didn't quite know how to use some of the good players he brought in and while he came close in season 2 it would have been a disaster if not for Smith getting us promoted last season.

We would have been broke in the Championship, forced to sell Grealish and/or Mcginn, not been able to sign Mings or any other of our players and.

We would have been so screwed. I just can't look past that when looking at Bruce's time here.

And then there is his well rehearsed media persona where he always blames individual errors, isolated situations and bad luck while seldom addressing the underlaying issues that led to those situations.

I agree.

but the final paragraph......rarely do any folk, see their faults, that others do.

thats life.

12 minutes ago, sne said:

But we had no defense what so ever.

Hard to claim the squad was good when there is a massive hole in it.

Parts of the squad was very good.

But every other team's squad in the league was pitch perfect? I understand there were holes in the defense but the squad was more than capable finishing in the top 6, which we did.

Either way the defense got addressed in January. So we had more than enough time to push for the top 6.

Edited by villalad21

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

But every other team's squad in the league was pitch perfect? I understand there were holes in the defense but the squad was more than capable finishing in the top 6, which we did.

Either way the defense got addressed in January. So we had more than enough time to push for the top 6.

Smith said we had good players but he said we had an unbalanced squad (he was right).

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Which was fixed in January. Plenty of time to catch up.

When Mings was signed we were 12 points behind Norwich in 2nd with 17 games left. Mings and Tuanzebe didnt play together for about 6 games as Elphick partnered Mings

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

When Mings was signed we were 12 points behind Norwich in 2nd with 17 games left. Mings and Tuanzebe didnt play together for about 6 games as Elphick partnered Mings

So? You don't need to get top 2 to get promoted.

Elphick is a good CB at that level.

Mings didn't sign until January 31st, Hause hadn't played for Wolves all season so wasn't match fit at that point, and Tuanzebe had been injured since December and wouldn't be back until April. Then there's the matter of these new defenders settling in to a new club, and getting used to playing with new players, goalkeepers Steer and Kalinic were in the same position. In the end in order to qualify for the play-offs we had to win ten games in a row, equalling our all time record.

6 hours ago, sne said:

Yeah of course it wasn't all bad, would be silly to claim that. And even the things that were bad wasn't all his fault. Lerner, Xia, Wyness, RDM "helped" a lot with that.

Sadly for Bruce and us he didn't quite know how to use some of the good players he brought in and while he came close in season 2 it would have been a disaster if not for Smith getting us promoted last season.

We would have been broke in the Championship, forced to sell Grealish and/or Mcginn, not been able to sign Mings or any other of our players and.

We would have been so screwed. I just can't look past that when looking at Bruce's time here.

And then there is his well rehearsed media persona where he always blames individual errors, isolated situations and bad luck while seldom addressing the underlaying issues that led to those situations.

He'd be putting himself out of a job forever if he started coming out and saying things like  "I set us up to get a point at a newly promoted side and didn't have a plan for what happened if they managed to score a goal before us" :lol: 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Mings didn't sign until January 31st, Hause hadn't played for Wolves all season so wasn't match fit at that point, and Tuanzebe had been injured since December and wouldn't be back until April. Then there's the matter of these new defenders settling in to a new club, and getting used to playing with new players, goalkeepers Steer and Kalinic were in the same position. In the end in order to qualify for the play-offs we had to win ten games in a row, equalling our all time record.

Beating our all time record!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yet you previously posted we should have finished top 2 with our apparently great squad 🙄

I said it would have been a miracle for us to finish in the top 2.

Finishing 5th was a good achievement but nothing crazy imo.

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I said it would have been a miracle for us to finish in the top 2.

Finishing 5th was a good achievement but nothing crazy imo.

But he had 1 centre back for nearly 3 months, best goalkeeper was on loan. We started 3 right backs, a crippled Chester and Nyland in vs Leeds 

Was a bloody miracle 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, sne said:

But that's the point, some are.....otherwise we wouldn't be defending his good bits.

Anyway he's gone now, its all moot.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

But that's the point, some are.....otherwise we wouldn't be defending his good bits.

Anyway he's gone now, its all moot.

There were some good bits under Tim Sherwood too. Some very good bits actually. His legacy is still one of failure though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Keyblade said:

There were some good bits under Tim Sherwood too. Some very good bits actually. His legacy is still one of failure though.

your probably right, I never disliked him either.

its a Journey.

15 hours ago, TRO said:

I think you are missing the point.that is exactly what i am saying in your second paragraph.

I agree Dean is courteous.....and to support that....the reference to Bruces signings scoring after the wembley final was not prompted by a jounalist.....He just offered the information, which for me supports the point ,he has respect for Bruce.

If we'd have gone up under Bruce, you think he would have paid tribute to Di Matteo unprompted? Thanked him for Kodjia, Adomah, Chester and Jedinak?

Fat chance.

Smith is courteous I agree. Bruce is an unpleasant, conniving toad.

• Like 4

Â