Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Steve Bruce quotes: Saying exactly the same on injuries at Wigan, Hull, Sunderland, Villa and Sheff Wed

Exhibit A:

“I messed up.

“I played too many players who weren’t match fit or were only half-fit.

“Mido was only half-fit, Brown had been sick before the game and wasn’t right, and Valencia had only had two or three training sessions. I put Hugo Rodallega in from the start and then Ben Watson came on after only 19 minutes, yet both hadn’t started for six or seven weeks. With hindsight I wouldn’t have picked the team I did.

“The one thing you can’t do in the Premier League is play lads who are below their best”

(Bruce speaking while in charge at Wigan in February 2009)

Exhibit B:

“I’ve been in the game some 30-odd years now and I don’t think I’ve ever known anything like this, we’ve probably got eleven (out injured), we’ve just got to get on with it, but I’ve never known anything like it.

“The one thing we’re looking into is, is there a reason why, have we done anything wrong.”

(Bruce on an injury crisis at Sunderland in 2011)

Exhibit C:

“It’s not time for excuses but big players have been missing for too long.

“Too often we’ve got big players out who we’ve paid big money for and there is the problem.

“Over a period of the season we’ve not been able to cope with the loss of the big players”

(Bruce using that tried and trusted excuse while at Hull, 2015)

Exhibit D:

“It’s b******s but when can you do? It [the injury crisis] is what it is. It’s your world’s worst but what can you do? You have to get on with it.

“It was never going to be easy at this club. I have learned that in 12 months. Someone is going to have to come to the party ”

(Once again Bruce trotting out the same rubbish while at Aston Villa in 2017)

Exhibit E:

“I’m sure most of the supporters are absolutely fed up to the back teeth and think ‘why’. Are we just unlucky or is there something underneath it all?

“When you see the problems the club have had, it is really obscene.”

(Steve Bruce while in charge at Sheffield Wednesday in 2019)

The Mag

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sne said:

I can not force you to see the connection but for me and many others (not just on VT) it is there.

Carry on.

The connection is during his 20 year managerial career he mentioned twice that he had a bad injury situation. That's it, I got it.

There's no connection to that being down to him, or if its any worse than anybody else has had to deal with. Several big clubs, with elite managers are managing their own injury problems right now.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

The connection is during his 20 year managerial career he mentioned twice that he had a bad injury situation. That's it, I got it.

There's no connection to that being down to him, or if its any worse than anybody else has had to deal with. Several big clubs, with elite managers are managing their own injury problems right now.

He's mentioned at every club he's been at. The article is linked a page or back.

but here it is again, just for you :D 

Newcastle United’s injuries

Fabian Schar – thigh; Yoshinori Muto – groin; Deandre Yedlin – knee; Ki Sun-Yeung – knock; Jamaal Lascelles – calf; Allan Saint-Maximin – thigh; Javi Manquillo – thigh; Jonjo Shelvey – thigh; Jack Colback – knee; Emil Krafth – knock; Paul Dummett – thigh; Dwight Gayle – thigh; Joelinton – groin. Newcastle – a bit buggered.

“I’ve been going 40 years and never really seen a situation like what has unfolded in the last couple of weeks,” Steve Bruce told Sky Sports on Saturday evening. “Are we just unlucky or is there a reason why? I’ve got my own ideas, I keep telling everyone it’s the amount of games we play and when you play people fatigued you risk that trouble.”

But here’s the thing:

“I’m sure most of the supporters are absolutely fed up to the back teeth and think ‘why’. Are we just unlucky or is there something underneath it all? When you see the problems the club have had, it is really obscene” – Steve Bruce, Sheffield Wednesday manager, April 2019.

“It’s b******s but when can you do? It [the injury crisis] is what it is. It’s your world’s worst but what can you do? You have to get on with it. It was never going to be easy at this club. I have learned that in 12 months. Someone is going to have to come to the party” – Steve Brue, Aston Villa manager, November 2017.

“It’s not time for excuses but big players have been missing for too long. Too often we’ve got big players out who we’ve paid big money for and there is the problem. Over a period of the season we’ve not been able to cope with the loss of the big players” – Steve Bruce, Hull City manager, May 2015.

“I messed up. I played too many players who weren’t match fit or were only half-fit. Mido was only half-fit, Brown had been sick before the game and wasn’t right, and Valencia had only had two or three training sessions. I put Hugo Rodallega in from the start and then Ben Watson came on after only 19 minutes, yet both hadn’t started for six or seven weeks. With hindsight I wouldn’t have picked the team I did. The one thing you can’t do in the Premier League is play lads who are below their best” – Steve Bruce, Wigan manager, February 2009 after Wigan players sustained a series of injuries in a match.

Bruce has vowed to investigate why Newcastle are suffering so many muscle injuries, and that must include some introspection about training methods or picking players who are not fully fit. If this run continues, Newcastle will be dragged back into trouble.

https://www.football365.com/news/premier-league-winners-and-losers-liverpool-rashford-eddie-howe

Anyway, long may it continue. the more injuries our opponents pick up the better for us.

47 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

So the question then becomes "is Bruce the type to ignore experts and data?"

Who knows the answer to that. Maybe James Chester.

Indeed. That is the question.

And if you answer yes based on Bruce being "old school" then that's absolutely fine. But there's no evidence behind it apart from they have a lot of injuries.

Marco Bielsa teams have shit loads of injuries towards the end of the season too but he's a genius, apparently.

As usual it seems that VT slates Bruce for everything he deserves to be slated for, and then makes up a load of new stuff to slate him for too. I find it very strange but each to their own.

Edit: to clarify I'm not saying there isn't a connection between Bruce and injuries. There may well be. I imagine if you dug into any manager's history you'd find them moaning about injuries at most clubs. But that's a hunch.
I was addressing the more ridiculous notion that Bruce just ignore all of his data and sport scientists because he's a bit old fashioned.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

As has been said many times before in this thread, many fans dislike him because he seems like a nasty piece of work. Always spouting lies and twisting the truth to turn things onto anyone but himself, and to maintain his reputation to get him the next job.

Fact? :D

That's before we get into his performance as Villa manager, where he started a season with a completely unbalanced squad, with only one senior centreback (sending our other one on loan)

I honestly see Bruce's time at Villa as someone who came to a club in freefall and in a real mess. He steadied the ship and got us moving up the table and within 45 minutes of promotion. He did all this in a period whilst both his parents died yet he was always present for us. Yes he made mistake. Yes, he made some ill advised snipes at the fan base but I think he was under enormous pressure inside and outside of Villa. He's only human.

and inexplicably playing Jedinak in central defence, subsequently resulting in said senior centreback permanently damaging his body. Oh look, we've come full circle :D

Players being asked to play out of position is nothing new and happens at every club in the land. It can't be used as a reason for someone "permanently damaging their body". Maybe Fernandinho should refuse to turn out for Man City in defence just in case 🙂 

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, sne said:

He's also extremely unlucky with injuries.

These are the exact words he used at Hull: “I have to say that, in all my 16 years as a manager, I have never known a run of injuries like the one we’ve had this season.

And these the ones he used at Newcastle: “I’ve been going 40 years and never really seen a situation like what has unfolded in the last couple of weeks,” 

Of course it could partly be because he keeps rushing his players back from injuries, something he's even admitted to himself.

Those quotes are probably just what pops into his head when he's asked "how about all those injuries huh?" and he just trots out "yea, i've been doing this ages and can't remember a time like it!" 

I wouldn't look too far into it. 

It's obvious Newcastle will use technology, they're not a pub team, they are a premier league outfit.  I bet League 1 and most League 2 clubs use sports science!

It won't be Bruce that does that stuff either, but his staff.

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Those quotes are probably just what pops into his head when he's asked "how about all those injuries huh?" and he just trots out "yea, i've been doing this ages and can't remember a time like it!" 

I wouldn't look too far into it. 

It's obvious Newcastle will use technology, they're not a pub team, they are a premier league outfit.  I bet League 1 and most League 2 clubs use sports science!

It won't be Bruce that does that stuff either, but his staff.

I think his interviews are a very well rehearsed and calculated act as I mentioned loads of times. If you watch them you can even see the various stages he always goes through.

Obviously when pressed he will fall back into certain words or mannerisms. Should state that this goes for loads of managers. Mourinho and Wenger are exactly the same for example.

But agree on the rest of it and while he was as evident by his stint at Sunderland slow to jump on the sport scientist bandwagon I'm sure he hasn't gotten rid of the ones who didn't follow Benitez out at Newcastle.

The way the training is done and if players are rushed back too soon thou I still think plays a part.

'There is a patter through the clubs he's been at.

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Nope. I reckon both Sherwood and Remi Garde were under 50, wore fairly 'cool' clothes (in Manager terms) and treated the Villa fans with respect, but people still call them both frauds for their individual flaws. The difference is that they both haven't fluked job after job in England, which has lead to them being discussed further. (And when they have had the odd new job, they've rarely had the defence of certain Villa fans, like Bruce has!)

That isn't actually the difference between Bruce on the one hand, and Sherwood and Garde on the other, though is it. 

On 14/01/2020 at 12:52, Genie said:

What is the claim then? Sometimes players get injured, and its probably Steve Bruce's fault? 🙂

Pretty much, I'm convinced there are some Bruce haters out there that blame Bruce for Wesley, McGinn and Heatons injuries 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder what the response would be on here had Bruce picked a team without any strikers..... I think we all know what the response would be don't we and it would not be the response Smith is getting. 

Oh and on that note Bruce got dogs abuse for neglecting our defence last season, so come on where is the same abuse to Smtih for doing the same with our attack? 

Of course it's got nothing to do with being blinded by your hate for Bruce.. 

1 minute ago, Stuartc445 said:

I wonder what the response would be on here had Bruce picked a team without any strikers..... I think we all know what the response would be don't we and it would not be the response Smith is getting. 

Oh and on that note Bruce got dogs abuse for neglecting our defence last season, so come on where is the same abuse to Smtih for doing the same with our attack? 

All about context, but you know this already. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

Maybe Alex if you went to the Dean Smith thread you will see the criticism 🙄

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sne said:

All about context, but you know this already. 

Say what you like everyone can see it.

Go on about context hahaha how about this for context Bruce neglected our defence last season gets constant abuse for it, Smith does the same with our attack this season gets nothing. But keep denying it and using words like context. 

• Like 1

Just now, Stuartc445 said:

Say what you like everyone can see it.

Go on about context hahaha how about this for context Bruce neglected our defence last season gets constant abuse for it, Smith does the same with our attack this season gets nothing. But keep denying it and using words like context. 

Try visiting the transfer thread :D 

10 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

Oh yes the Alex comment 🤣🤣🤣😂😂🤣😂😂🤣. The comment of someone who knows they've been caught out. 

Be no other reason to have a go at Dean Smith in your father sorry Steve Bruce thread when he has his own thread which you never post this in. Especially when its been mentioned multiple times by others

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Be no other reason to have a go at Dean Smith in your father sorry Steve Bruce thread when he has his own thread which you never post this in. Especially when its been mentioned multiple times by others

So just because I'm not blinded by the hate of Bruce means I'm his son, 2 words pal Grow Up. 

Look I understand it must be hard to take seeing Bruce managing to get results against teams we can only dream about getting. The realisation that he will be finishing above your beloved Deano must be very hard to take and it's forcing you to be very childish.  I'd strongly recommend you see professional help because it's not healthy for a grown man to act the way you do. 

Edited by Stuartc445
  • Haha 1

Â