Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

On 11/12/2019 at 09:33, villalad21 said:

It's sad how much stick you get on here for saying something positive about Bruce.

I think it's the fact that nowadays it's often a backhanded dig at Dean Smith (who has been a more positive influence on this club than Bruce ever was).

Edited by KentVillan

• 2 weeks later...

And on that subject, it seems like this is something that happens to most clubs managed by Bruce. Not that he would use it as an excuse.

Newcastle United’s injuries

Fabian Schar – thigh; Yoshinori Muto – groin; Deandre Yedlin – knee; Ki Sun-Yeung – knock; Jamaal Lascelles – calf; Allan Saint-Maximin – thigh; Javi Manquillo – thigh; Jonjo Shelvey – thigh; Jack Colback – knee; Emil Krafth – knock; Paul Dummett – thigh; Dwight Gayle – thigh; Joelinton – groin. Newcastle – a bit buggered.

“I’ve been going 40 years and never really seen a situation like what has unfolded in the last couple of weeks,” Steve Bruce told Sky Sports on Saturday evening. “Are we just unlucky or is there a reason why? I’ve got my own ideas, I keep telling everyone it’s the amount of games we play and when you play people fatigued you risk that trouble.”

But here’s the thing:

“I’m sure most of the supporters are absolutely fed up to the back teeth and think ‘why’. Are we just unlucky or is there something underneath it all? When you see the problems the club have had, it is really obscene” – Steve Bruce, Sheffield Wednesday manager, April 2019.

“It’s b******s but when can you do? It [the injury crisis] is what it is. It’s your world’s worst but what can you do? You have to get on with it. It was never going to be easy at this club. I have learned that in 12 months. Someone is going to have to come to the party” – Steve Brue, Aston Villa manager, November 2017.

“It’s not time for excuses but big players have been missing for too long. Too often we’ve got big players out who we’ve paid big money for and there is the problem. Over a period of the season we’ve not been able to cope with the loss of the big players” – Steve Bruce, Hull City manager, May 2015.

“I messed up. I played too many players who weren’t match fit or were only half-fit. Mido was only half-fit, Brown had been sick before the game and wasn’t right, and Valencia had only had two or three training sessions. I put Hugo Rodallega in from the start and then Ben Watson came on after only 19 minutes, yet both hadn’t started for six or seven weeks. With hindsight I wouldn’t have picked the team I did. The one thing you can’t do in the Premier League is play lads who are below their best” – Steve Bruce, Wigan manager, February 2009 after Wigan players sustained a series of injuries in a match.

Bruce has vowed to investigate why Newcastle are suffering so many muscle injuries, and that must include some introspection about training methods or picking players who are not fully fit. If this run continues, Newcastle will be dragged back into trouble.

https://www.football365.com/news/premier-league-winners-and-losers-liverpool-rashford-eddie-howe

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

He isnt the only "old school" British manager this happens too. Moyes and Souness always seemed to have players with muscle injuries as well. Raymond Verheijen a Dutch fitness coach (who loves himself) called out Moyes before he went to United for doing this and was proven right

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Zatman said:

He isnt the only "old school" British manager this happens too. Moyes and Souness always seemed to have players with muscle injuries as well. Raymond Verheijen a Dutch fitness coach (who loves himself) called out Moyes before he went to United for doing this and was proven right

Under MON our seasons would end in March due to the same approach.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Zatman said:

Foreign coached teams players don't get muscle injuries? Do you have data to support that "old school" British managers give players muscle injuries?

Didn't one of the big foreign teams have a knee ligament problem about 10 years ago that resulted in them resurfacing all their training pitches and changing their medical staff? 

I've got barca in my mind for some reason

Or was that FM? 

Edited by villa4europe

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Foreign coached teams players don't get muscle injuries? Do you have data to support that "old school" British managers give players muscle injuries?

Just had a quick look.

United have Shaw, Tuanzebe and Rojo with muscular or hamstring injuries

Liverpool -> Milner, Keita, Lovren.

Chelsea -> Kante, Alonso.

Spurs -> Kane

Arsenal -> Torreira, Bellerin

Leicester -> Ndidi, Morgan

There's lots more too.

So, I think its a bit of a myth that "old school" managers are causing muscle injuries. Another example of Bruce bashing for no particular reason.

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Didn't one of the big foreign teams have a knee ligament problem about 10 years ago that resulted in them resurfacing all their training pitches and changing their medical staff? 

I've got barca in my mind for some reason

Or was that FM? 

I remember this as well might have been longer, might have been an Italian team

22 minutes ago, sne said:

No one is claiming it's only happening with old school managers (not only British) or that clubs with more advanced training methods never gets them.

21 hours ago, Zatman said:

28 minutes ago, sne said:

No one is claiming it's only happening with old school managers (not only British) or that clubs with more advanced training methods never gets them.

What is the claim then? Sometimes players get injured, and its probably Steve Bruce's fault? 🙂

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

What is the claim then? Sometimes players get injured, and its probably Steve Bruce's fault? 🙂

The quote you added doesn't claim it only happens to old school managers, just that it happens more often.

To Bruce it seem to happen at every club he's at. Could just be bad luck I guess.

Â