Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It was enjoyable for most of the season. But at what cost? Now not all his fault, the short term thinking was heavily supported by Dr Fraud. 

One of my main concerns with Bruce was the long term issue if he failed and we are now seeing that come to fruition. 

An enjoyable season that ultimately was a failure has now caused the club to hit the reset button. 

It was well known Bruce had no long term gain at any club he was at. Sure his 4 previous clubs which he left within last 12 years. blues, wigan, sunderland and hull plus us

No coincidence that none are in top flight or willl be there anytime soon

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Dave J said:

A little bizarre TRO - I only asked what propelled BFHV to defend Bruce as often as he does ? Clearly it is his right to post as much in defence of Bruce as he so wishes - I never criticised Bruce in this post at all - with all due respect TRO I could level the same towards you when it comes to Bruce - purely conjecture but I wonder if offered would you take him back ?

Just trying to explain his line of thinking.....you're entitled to yours too.

No...That ship has sailed.....It just didn't work, overall....but i don't have any ill feeling towards him.

Personally.....I still see some/ many of the problems under him,still exisiting.

Dean just has to work his way through this.

Edited by TRO

19 hours ago, TRO said:

Dave......it might be to do with, he thinks the criticism of him at times is unfair.

I guess the more the criticism is made in the form it is......the more the defensive arguments are raised......has it dawned on you, that on this subject, he doesn,t agree with some of your criticisms of him?

A little bizarre TRO - I only asked what propelled BFHV to defend Bruce as often as he does ? Clearly it is his right to post as much in defence of Bruce as he so wishes - I never criticised Bruce in this post at all - with all due respect TRO I could level the same towards you when it comes to Bruce - purely conjecture but I wonder if offered would you take him back ?

20 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Not all but a large chunk. And it doesn't surprise me that you have missed it.

Thanks DC.

I'm counting down the days until I can proudly announce to everyone that I, the mere mortal, have as good an understanding of football as the one and only DCJonah.

Let me know if you're running any courses or workshops.

Edited by bannedfromHandV

19 hours ago, Dave J said:

Interesting you'll reply to TRO but not to me, despite asking the question directly to me.

I'd love to know your counterpoints to my response.

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

unless I'm missing something I fail to see how he's the cause of our woes

That sort of impliesthat you think you may have missed something, or at least that it's possible?

I'd say that the condition of the squad he got together and then left for his successor is very much the the largest cause of our woes. Add in injury to two key members of the squad, loss of form in a few other positions, and well, there's absolutely the cause. Dean Smith's selections from (largely) that same squad haven't helped at times, mind.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, blandy said:

That sort of impliesthat you think you may have missed something, or at least that it's possible?

I'd say that the condition of the squad he got together and then left for his successor is very much the the largest cause of our woes. Add in injury to two key members of the squad, loss of form in a few other positions, and well, there's absolutely the cause. Dean Smith's selections from (largely) that same squad haven't helped at times, mind.

Well I don't see the squad as being that much worse than what he inherited (if at all) so sure, he did little to improve that but is he the cause of our woes? Not for me no. 

14 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Well I don't see the squad as being that much worse than what he inherited (if at all) so sure, he did little to improve that but is he the cause of our woes? Not for me no. 

OK. Fair enough.

(Though I think you may be missing something :P)

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Thanks DC.

I'm counting down the days until I can proudly announce to everyone that I, the mere mortal, have as good an understanding of football as the one and only DCJonah.

Let me know if you're running any courses or workshops.

Will do. There is only one lesson on the course. Don't allow your love of steve bruce make you ignore the obvious. 

Like signing a keeper that made mistakes that would be laughed at for a sunday league team. 

Starting the season with the full intent of playing jedinak at cb  

Relying on loan players or aging players for a quick short term fix. 

Spending a fortune on a striker who is now on loan at another club. 

So yes, you have missed some of our major issues, which were caused by steve bruce, and like i said earlier, i'm not surprised at all that you missed them. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Will do. There is only one lesson on the course. Don't allow your love of steve bruce make you ignore the obvious. 

Like signing a keeper that made mistakes that would be laughed at for a sunday league team. 

Starting the season with the full intent of playing jedinak at cb  

Relying on loan players or aging players for a quick short term fix. 

Spending a fortune on a striker who is now on loan at another club. 

So yes, you have missed some of our major issues, which were caused by steve bruce, and like i said earlier, i'm not surprised at all that you missed them. 

Selling a decent centre back and replacing them with 2 over 30s who are both out of the club

6 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Interesting you'll reply to TRO but not to me, despite asking the question directly to me.

I'd love to know your counterpoints to my response.

I'm really sorry BFHV I have been meaning to. 

Where you and I fundamentally disagree where Bruce is concerned is that I do hold him accountable for the farce that has been the past two seasons. 

He was afforded resources in both seasons to have achieved his targets comfortably imo.

people talk of last season as some sort of success story and one of enjoyment - it was horrendous as far as I am concerned - it matters not one that we missed promotion by a point - it might as well have been 10.

We missed promotion !!

I also hear of the 4-1 win over Wolves - yet gloss over the humiliation suffered at  Molineux.

I think I have shared with you previously that the day he rocked up at B6 I felt totally underwhelmed and dissapointed and knew exactly what was in store for us.

He did nothing during his time here to inspire me or change my mind about him, his style of play and his mindless cheap shots at his paying public beggars belief.

No not for me BFHV - you like him and that's fair enough. I don't and I'm glad he is no longer here.

Maybe DS will not turn out to be the man for the job - but I'll take him over Bruce any day of the week.

22 minutes ago, Dave J said:

He was afforded resources in both seasons to have achieved his targets comfortably imo.

People talk of last season as some sort of success story and one of enjoyment - it was horrendous as far as I am concerned 

Maybe DS will not turn out to be the man for the job - but I'll take him over Bruce any day of the week.

Just taking these few bits from what you said... Yes, all correct this.

Football shocking throughout his time here. No surprise results were up and down. There wasn't any tactics! You throw that many good players on the pitch you're going to get some good results along the way; play with no tactics and you're going to get some bad results as well  We could play the same season again and finish 10th, it was all chance and 

Smith work to do for me before I'm 100% against replacing him at the end of the season, should a good option be available. But he's Christ, he's so far ahead of Bruce as a manager and person.

Stench of RDM and Bruce's waste be around for years.

I honestly don’t see what makes Dean Smith “so far ahead of Bruce as a manager” yet, apart from he sometimes plays better football. 

I’m optimistic and hopeful that he’ll get there with us, but I think that’s a bit of a weird statement to make at this point. 

• Like 2

Sheff Wednesday 3-0 up at HT, same points as Villa as it stands.

I suspect that like many, many players Villa have released for not being good enough Bruce will also be working above us in the football pyramid shortly.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Sheff Wednesday 3-0 up at HT, same points as Villa as it stands.

I suspect that like many, many players Villa have released for not being good enough Bruce will also be working above us in the football pyramid shortly.

Seems like he's benefiting hugely today by working with a squad put together by someone that's not him. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â