Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

You think ? Why did he fail twice in succession with us?

He's no promotion guru whatsoever - I wouldn't have him back at any cost.

Yesterdays man and good riddance to him.

Let's se if the almighty Dean Smith will do so much better in his 2nd season then if he is so much better...

Currently DS have a below 35 % win percentage with us, which is pathetic.

Edited by villalad21

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Let's se if the almighty Dean Smith will do so much better in his 2nd season then if he is so much better...

The decision has been made, its purely hot air now.

We have Dean Smith as manager and he must find a way out of this.....I don't think anyone claimed he was almighty, just played a brand of football that attracted us.

As you know, I was never anti-Steve Bruce, but the style of football he presided over did not fill me with glee...equally that didn't IMV make him as bad as some made out....but that did not mean, when he went was probably right too.

I must say....many of the individual Faults we are seeing now, were still in evidence watching SB's team and I don't see that much difference.....I don't think the squad is balanced correctly for Dean to change much....too many midfielders either not good enough or too samey.

I can't honestly say, whats wrong....but I can very clearly see on match day, whats not right.....I am sure DS can see what I do....fixing it is not something I would relish.

Edited by TRO

54 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

What Dean Smith does is neither here nor there - the fact is that Bruce once was an expert in getting teams promoted from this league, he has proven that is no longer the case.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dave J said:

You think ? Why did he fail twice in succession with us?

He's no promotion guru whatsoever - I wouldn't have him back at any cost.

Yesterdays man and good riddance to him.

I love how in Bruces first season when he took over a side 12 games in, just in the relegation zone in total free fall counts as a failed season when we didn't get promoted but Dean Smith gets a free pass all season because our full backs aren't his style. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

I love how in Bruces first season when he took over a side 12 games in, just in the relegation zone in total free fall counts as a failed season when we didn't get promoted but Dean Smith gets a free pass all season because our full backs aren't his style. 

It's a valid point to be honest

25 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

Well Bruce had at the time a near Premier League squad, also a heavy spending transfer window and somehow lost an impressive 8 games in 9. The one game in that run we didnt lose we amazingly threw away a 2 goal lead at home

1 hour ago, holteend1982 said:

I don't think he gets a free pass, but I get your point......This team is not ready for promotion in any form....we have to work our way towards it.

The only way, I see it....is getting the right players in to change things.....we generally keep signing the wrong ones IMV, just getting the odd one right....its simply not good enough.

I am not giving managers a free pass.....but they do need the players to do it with.

Managers do need to develop players, they are not all ready made, but equally you need quality clay on the potters wheel in order to make a china pot.

On 12/02/2019 at 21:50, Zatman said:

1 goal in 3 games vs teams in the bottom 5. Some people are suggesting we shouldnt have sacked him 

also 5 points, 0 goals conceeded and unbeaten which is 3 more points than us this month....

Have you looked at our results....

Since bruce took over they have played 2 teams we have played in the past few weeks:

Ipswich away - won 1-0 (we scraped a 2-1 win at home)

Reading Home- 0-0 (we also drew 0-0 albeit away)

15 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

also 5 points, 0 goals conceeded and unbeaten which is 3 more points than us this month....

Have you looked at our results....

Since bruce took over they have played 2 teams we have played in the past few weeks:

Ipswich away - won 1-0 (we scraped a 2-1 win at home)

Reading Home- 0-0 (we also drew 0-0 albeit away)

That must have been a real convincing 1-0 not a 93rd minute goal when Ipswich defenders went for walks

10 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

i would gladly take his P3 W1 D2 L0 F1 A0 PTS 5 this month rather than our P3 W0 D2 L1 F3 A4 PTS 2

Good for you. His 1 win in 10 against weak opposition is a reason why he is not here as manager

9 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

It's 1 win in 3, we are the 1 win in 10 ;)

Two wins in the last ten, Swansea and Ipswich (literally everyone seems to have forgotten the Swansea game...weird).

What was Bruce’s record for his last ten villa games blah blah blah....this argument has been done to death. People aren’t gonna change their minds now. 

Smith may well turn out to be the wrong choice. Bruce ultimately proved to be the wrong choice, he was not the solution for us.

10 hours ago, villalad21 said:

No one mentioned Dean Smith - I am just glad the so called promotion guru is no longer here - 2 botched attempts at promotion, loads of resource into the bargain - I fail to understand the attraction.

Dean Smith might not cut it here - but that doesn't make Bruce any better for this. Good riddance thank you 

21 hours ago, Zatman said:

Good for you. His 1 win in 10 against weak opposition is a reason why he is not here as manager

As opposed to our fantastic recent form.

18 hours ago, Dave J said:

No one mentioned Dean Smith - I am just glad the so called promotion guru is no longer here - 2 botched attempts at promotion, loads of resource into the bargain - I fail to understand the attraction.

Dean Smith might not cut it here - but that doesn't make Bruce any better for this. Good riddance thank you 

Nope, no hostility there at all Dave, I totally see why you refute any accusations of personal bias. And using someone's achievements as a way to try and belittle them is pretty sad mate in all honesty, it's like running up to Bill Gates and mocking him for launching Microsoft just because their attempts to enter the mobile phone market failed.

No doubt you'll fail to see this and instead respond with words like unsubstantiated and unwarranted etc, usual response to being challenged on your views.

This is like arguing over Brexit.....He's gone.

His legacy is anything anyone wants to think it is, but there are some facts.....Last season, we won 24 games ( doesn't really matter how) and just missed out in the play offs.

Loaning players and mismanagement pulled the whole thing apart....its a building job again.

Rightly or wrongly SB brought in players who he thought could get us out of this division any other season it may of worked....Then the truth behind how the club was run was revealed, leaving us close to administration.

We all know what happened and depending on our overall views we will have an opinion.

but I say it once more....He's gone, we need to put it to bed.

Dean has a big job and he must be left alone to do it....If in the fullness of time it appears there is no incremental improvement on a timely basis, then the club have to think again....but lets be clear, He loves the club and he will do his best, as good as any one of us would do....He needs support from the owners and that is something we will never be privvy too....managers can't do it all on there own.

I am absolutely 110 % sure Dean knows what the problems are....Its fixing them that is the tricky bit.

I have a hunch one or two youth players will emerge in the next couple of seasons, which will help no end..... my worry is in signing players, I don't really get the right vibes that we are slick in this area.....Clubs with far lower profile than us are showing us how to do it....We need players that are more rounded and have character to work with and form a team, not 11 individuals with individual career aspirations.

I don't think one area of talent spotting is the holy grail, it needs to be a much broader church....for example we all know most Argentine players have natural ball control, when was the last one we signed Oscar Arce....We have too many old players, but one or two may be ok, There are players that have emerged from the lower leagues Jarrod Bowen, James Maddison, Bradley Dack, Joe Lolley and James Vardy......and plenty more......are our scouts asleep? or is it just a Dormant dep't that is shoved under the stairs.....our record over the last 10 years could attract a public enquiry.

I am dubious of setting a policy of nobody over a certain age, because there are always exceptions....But we do need balance in everything we do......I think Youth players need to be introduced more too and much younger, over 20 is too late IMV I have to temper that with development of course ...but how did Brian little get in at 18, how did Gary Shaw start at 17...Trevor Francis at 16, ripping it up....Andy Gray coming in at 19 absolutely fearless and ready to steam roller centre backs with his aggression and passion for winning.

I am totally convinced these players are around, they always have been and always will be....Its the prospecting for them that's bankrupt.

I am led to believe the New owners have cleared out all the previous scouts, so Fingers crossed in the fullness of time we may see an improvement. However, I do think these things need carefully monitoring to the point gradual improvement does need to be identified and procrastination, driven out of the club.....To be keep referring to the last 10 years is fully illustrates how as a club we have just been sitting on our hands, despite various administrations saying all the right things, to keep the natives quiet.

I hope we eventually get it right and improvement is noticeable, no matter how modest.

• Like 1

On 13/02/2019 at 15:29, bannedfromHandV said:

I have to be honest, I think it would be effing hilarious if Bruce gets Wednesday promoted.

I'm not expecting it but man, it would be a wake up call for the 'he's a dinosaur' brigade.

Still wouldn't change the fact he failed here and left a **** mess while doing it.

• Like 3

Â