Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

32 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Wtf is wrong with people. 

I think when people are dying in future, they should be forced to read all the nonsensical shit they post on social media. 

sorry that does sound horrible and not in the way i meant it, i obviously feel very sympathetic for anyone losing their parents, the image of Bruce fighting back the tears when we scored after his dad died is probably one that will stay with me for a long time, i've seen comments saying he should have walked then and i dont agree with that

however i do think there is an element of him using it disingenuously now, i dont sit here feeling sorry for him thinking it all went wrong for him here because of his parents and his grief, it was already going badly for him here before that, we werent good enough, thats where I've got no sympathy, i dont feel sorry for him losing his job, it there was a noticeable decline in us and signs of a correlation between the 2 then i would

3 hours ago, Dave J said:

when I read the stories on here regarding him trying to manipulate a move to the states in the summer, only to do a 180 when the new owners came in - kind of leaves a sour taste in the mouth ( if true - I have no idea or not if this were the case)

Also the moment you criticise your own fans - becomes a bridge to far and inevitably can only go one way.

In the end his " I know better you you" attitude I feel alianated  him and coupled with poor results meant his job became untenable after the Preston game.

I'm afraid he bought the stick he received upon himself 

Plus the digs and comments i.e "that will shut a few up".

At times I felt he treated us like he was bigger than the club and we owed him a favour for being our manager etc.

Like Blandy says, he's gone. Good, Leave him to it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Has done a video interview with the BBC, defending himself.

Whilst I agree it's been a hell of a 6 months for him personally, mentally and physically, as a professional football club, we can't really hang onto sentiment.. you could argue Villas existence depends on 100% commitment, 24/7. 

The squad isn't (wasn't) in great shape when he left, but I felt the club did the right thing keeping him on in the summer.  But our sacking of him, however harsh it may have looked on the outside, was needed.

I'll maintain that as a person, he seems ok.. maybe a bit prickly, but who wouldn't be when everything you do is scrutinized? 

I wish him the best of luck at Wednesday though and I'll thank him for giving me some personal sunshine in a dark 8(!) years supporting the club.  I enjoyed the spirit in the squad, and I like characters like Snodgrass and Terry.  

But he needed to go when he went. 

As usual, I think the fans were pretty shitty towards him at the end, and he had things levelled at him personally which no-one should have to put up with.

A very reasonable summary in my view....and one I endorse.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Wtf is wrong with people. 

I think when people are dying in future, they should be forced to read all the nonsensical shit they post on social media. 

I don't think he meant it in that context....I think he meant, things were not right with the team before his parents passed away....I think he was right.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

A very reasonable summary in my view....and one I endorse.

TRO - you do remember the digs he aimed at supporters don't you?

Sorry he crossed a line that should never have been crossed.

Did he ever consider where part of his wages came from.?

No it's good riddence as far as I am concerned in all honesty 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Dave....I'm glad he's gone too, because we were going nowhere....but

He didn't have a go at you or me or fans on VT.....He had a go BACK at those that was abusive to him....a small section...and the cabbage, despite its affect, was chavvy.

I have always been brought up to believe, have a go at someone and expect a bit back....but don't belly ache when it comes.

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't think he meant it in that context....I think he meant, things were not right with the team before his parents passed away....I think he was right.

Well if I jumped the gun then fair enough but I lost a parent two years ago and my best mates having the worst time of his life at the moment watching his old man die, so I take badly to the idea of trivialising it, particularly when the guy lost both parents in a matter of weeks. 

I don't think he should be therefore let off entirely for what entailed but I respect the man for working through it. 

• Like 2

I’m sorry but this ‘he crossed the line’ bollocks does not justify some of the personal crap (and cabbages) hurled at Bruce.

its just a game of football at the end of the day, nothing more nothing less.

Bruce was rightly released/sacked as the results weren’t good enough and neither was his style of play. 

Fans need to move on and maybe try to get behind the team they support 

• Like 4

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

Well if I jumped the gun then fair enough but I lost a parent two years ago and my best mates having the worst time of his life at the moment watching his old man die, so I take badly to the idea of trivialising it, particularly when the guy lost both parents in a matter of weeks. 

I don't think he should be therefore let off entirely for what ensued but I respect the man for working through it. 

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

Dave....I'm glad he's gone too, because we were going nowhere....but

He didn't have a go at you or me or fans on VT.....He had a go BACK at those that was abusive to him....a small section...and the cabbage, despite its affect, was chavvy.

I have always been brought up to believe, have a go at someone and expect a bit back....but don't belly ache when it comes.

I definitely agree with the last sentence.  I dont think Bruce 'crossed any lines' at all and hate how precious fans can be.  Anyway, he's gone, let's just be glad of that.

23 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I remember going to a Forum with Brian Little on stage...it was just before he left.....I was sitting near the front.

The whole crowd was vociferous over his signing of Curcic and his play....he was getting a rousting from all sections....It mad me angry, because everyone makes mistakes and Curcic played very well for Bolton....In a fit of pique I stood up and shouted across the room stand up any fan who disapproved of the signing of Curcic before he arrived......No one stood up....and you could here a pin drop....Its easy for us, we can change our minds, they have to live with their errors.

Brian Little....mouthed thanks to me.....It was simply a case of defending what I thought was fair....most of us wanted him, until he played shite for us.

We only know a small proportion of what happens behind the scenes and we all sometimes get the bull by the horns....We get frustrated, managers get frustrated, they are only Human.

Imagine Dave you was manager and things being said to you was unsavoury, but the people saying them got their facts wrong, but equally you couldn't for one reason or another enlighten them, due to protocol.....Frustration is bound to build up.

But hey, we have to look forward, I just hope Dean never has to experience it.....what with Turnips and Potatoes and Cabbages we will be running out of Veggies....It'll probably be a Carrot, if it happens.

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I’m sorry but this ‘he crossed the line’ bollocks does not justify some of the personal crap (and cabbages) hurled at Bruce.

its just a game of football at the end of the day, nothing more nothing less.

Bruce was rightly released/sacked as the results weren’t good enough and neither was his style of play. 

Fans need to move on and maybe try to get behind the team they support 

Oh I agree totally with you - personal abuse is simply not acceptable at all -  equally it's not bollocks to highlight a man in his profession and in charge of one of this county's most prestigious clubs - should see the bigger picture here and not " bite the hand that feeds" quite frankly in my opinion it shows a distinct lack of class.

Lambert and McCliesh  suffered way more stick than Bruce did and both showed way more dignity and respect than Bruce did.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I remember going to a Forum with Brian Little on stage...it was just before he left.....I was sitting near the front.

The whole crowd was vociferous over his signing of Curcic and his play....he was getting a rousting from all sections....It mad me angry, because everyone makes mistakes and Curcic played very well for Bolton....In a fit of pique I stood up and shouted across the room stand up any fan who disapproved of the signing of Curcic before he arrived......No one stood up....and you could here a pin drop....Its easy for us, we can change our minds, they have to live with their errors.

Brian Little....mouthed thanks to me.....It was simply a case of defending what I thought was fair....most of us wanted him, until he played shite for us.

We only know a small proportion of what happens behind the scenes and we all sometimes get the bull by the horns....We get frustrated, managers get frustrated, they are only Human.

Imagine Dave you was manager and things being said to you was unsavoury, but the people saying them got their facts wrong, but equally you couldn't for one reason or another enlighten them, due to protocol.....Frustration is bound to build up.

But hey, we have to look forward, I just hope Dean never has to experience it.....what with Turnips and Potatoes and Cabbages we will be running out of Veggies....It'll probably be a Carrot, if it happens.

TRO - I'm right with you on the abuse front and the cabbage throwing was a disgraceful act in my view - but equally I will never accept any manager having a pop at his own fans - it will only go one way.

I think with Bruce his attitude of I'm doing you the favour by being here - well that's my interpretation anyway is also what riled many fans tbh 

3 minutes ago, Dave J said:

TRO - I'm right with you on the abuse front and the cabbage throwing was a disgraceful act in my view - but equally I will never accept any manager having a pop at his own fans - it will only go one way.

I think with Bruce his attitude of I'm doing you the favour by being here - well that's my interpretation anyway is also what riled many fans tbh 

I accept your interpretation is whats driving your opinion of him.

I choose to view the comments " its the best/Biggest job I have ever had" as being the one I judge him by.

but hey ho....onwards and upwards I hope.

The only reason any manager says things like "that will shut a few up" is because they're probably getting dogs abuse from their own fans.  

If they weren't getting abused, they would have no reason to say it..

And football fans are extremely entitled, everyone wants to win, all the time.  It can't possibly happen, but people fail to see that for some reason.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To continue the discussion with @villalad21 here instead I don't think we would have been relegated this season with Bruce, but he was taking us nowhere slow. and a mid table or even bottom half finish was what we could hope for.

He was also on a very expensive rolling contract that meant that no matter when we sacked him we would have to pay him for 1 year after that (or whatever deal we could negotiate) 

Meaning that sticking with him for the rest of this season would have put us in an even worse financial situation next season.

And that is without factoring in all the other reasons he had to go.

On 02/02/2019 at 13:49, bannedfromHandV said:

I don't think he should be therefore let off entirely for what ensued but I respect the man for working through it. 

Â