Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I doubt it’ll be a relegation scrap, but if Wednesday are struggling to score against the likes of Reading and Millwall, it’ll be interesting to see whether they can find the net and pick up points from March onwards when they play eight of the current top ten*.

*it’s a given that they’ll get on the scoresheet against us.

9 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I doubt it’ll be a relegation scrap, but if Wednesday are struggling to score against the likes of Reading and Millwall, it’ll be interesting to see whether they can find the net and pick up points from March onwards when they play eight of the current top ten*.

*it’s a given that they’ll get on the scoresheet against us.

I hope Smith gives fistface a footballing lesson like he did when we played brentford each time. 

Rumours going round for next Sheffield Wednesday game for any ticket purchased you get a free pillow. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

after a quick look the expected the he needs to be given time because "its not his team" comments are already out

its not his team because he took January off...

I find this comment quite bizarre to be honest.

The Dean Smith thread is full of "it's not his team" excuses. And he WAS here for January.

As usual the stick for Bruce is hilariously exaggerated on here.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I find this comment quite bizarre to be honest.

The Dean Smith thread is full of "it's not his team" excuses. And he WAS here for January.

As usual the stick for Bruce is hilariously exaggerated on here.

Well I suppose the difference is that in Smith’s case he was here in January, supposedly working around the clock with Purslow to bring in players for “his” team as best he could for the remainder of the season.

Whereas with Bruce, he has agreed with Sheffield Wednesday to start at the beginning of February and as such missed the time he had available to conduct any business, stop gap or otherwise. Whether Bruce and his staff looked at players while he was abroad, I don’t know. It’s possible, not sure what transfers Wednesday were involved in.

Basically, on the face of it, it could be said that Smith at least tried to rectify things as best he could, while Bruce was getting a nice tan. If you were that way inclined.

For what it’s worth, I’m not quite sure how much business Wednesday can conduct at the moment anyway, I thought they were under some sort of restrictions.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Well I suppose the difference is that in Smith’s case he was here in January, supposedly working around the clock with Purslow to bring in players for “his” team as best he could for the remainder of the season.

Whereas with Bruce, he has agreed with Sheffield Wednesday to start at the beginning of February and as such missed the time he had available to conduct any business, stop gap or otherwise. Whether Bruce and his staff looked at players while he was abroad, I don’t know. It’s possible, not sure what transfers Wednesday were involved in.

Basically, on the face of it, it could be said that Smith at least tried to rectify things as best he could, while Bruce was getting a nice tan. If you were that way inclined.

For what it’s worth, I’m not quite sure how much business Wednesday can conduct at the moment anyway, I thought they were under some sort of restrictions.

But the Sheff Wed team literally isn’t his team. Why he wasn’t there in January is a different point. The excuse is valid even if Bruce was part of the reason why. 

That excuse is being used for our manager and he was here in January adding to the squad. So it seems weird that it’s valid for him and not for Bruce. 

I think the "it isn't his squad" thing is a bit weak. For Bruce, Smith or anyone.

Managers are brought in to work with what they've got and if they do a good enough job, help build a team by bringing in players to suit their style.

Outside a few top managers at massive clubs like Pep, Klopp and a few more no manager can be expected to have "their team" or a 100% finished self playing piano of a squad.

The way football works today with agent and player power you'll never get to have a settled squad for more than at best 1 season, if that.

If a manager is at a club for a longer period of course they will leave a mark on how the squad looks, for good or bad.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But the Sheff Wed team literally isn’t his team. Why he wasn’t there in January is a different point. The excuse is valid even if Bruce was part of the reason why. 

That excuse is being used for our manager and he was here in January adding to the squad. So it seems weird that it’s valid for him and not for Bruce. 

Yeah I agree, Aston Villa as it currently stands is closer to a Smith team than Wednesday is to a Bruce team. No argument there.

However, I think the argument, if there is one, is that it would be pretty rich of Bruce (or maybe Bruce supporters to be more accurate) to say “oh well this isn’t his team” when he seemingly passed up the first chance he had to change the squad.

That’s basically it, he can’t have any complaints about the squad for the remainder of the season because, again on the face of it, he chose not to even try and change it when he had the chance.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Hes battoned down the hatches. Provided some gripping entertainment for the Wednesday fans in his first 3 games

I'd take a few clean sheets right now.🙄

12 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Bruce wasnt getting them this season was he

A bit quick to judge? He only got till October this season.

He is making Wednesday hard to beat and i wouldn't be surprised to see them in the top 6 next season.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

A bit quick to judge? He only got till October this season.

He is making Wednesday hard to beat and i wouldn't be surprised to see them in the top 6 next season.

He has more clean sheets at Wednesday than he did all season for us

Think we have 5 under Smith including at Derby and Boro

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Well he made us promotion contenders in his 2nd season.

Steve Bruce is the master of Championship promotions whether you like the guy or not.

Again, as I quoted you last night in the Smith thread -

“Bruce have no tactical nouse what so ever. With Bruce it's aimless hoofing and crossing hoping for the best.”

But yeah, the master of championship promotions. 

3 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

But yeah, the master of championship promotions. 

Stats don't lie.

The fact that he were 1 game away from getting us promoted and ultimately didn't make it happen for us doesn't take away from his past accomplishments.

Edited by villalad21

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Well he made us promotion contenders in his 2nd season.

Steve Bruce is the master of Championship promotions whether you like the guy or not.

Mourinho is a 2 time CL title winner, highly unlikely it will happen again thou.

• Like 2

Â