Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I don’t think it’s about being clueless and not having a plan etc. You can’t win 4 promotions and get to a playoff final by just telling players to go out there and play. 

But whatever he is attempting at Villa. It just isn’t working . A change right now is the best for everyone involved.

edit : I’d take Kim Wilde :)

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

Some things are done in good taste, others aren't. Football under Bruce, for large parts, has the taste of a tub of piss somebody farted in.

There's no penetration that actually forces a contest, challenging both sides into committing to their best effort. Rarely anything that puts our opponent on the back foot or that backs another teammates ability. We are instructed to throw caution to the wind and play the most uninspired safe pass, whether that be playing it long and direct, or on the odd occasion we attempt some build up play on the floor. Furthermore, it's all so pedestrian. Any team that presses can force an error when we play like this. We bypass midfield by default, no one-twos to draw the defense (the one occasion we saw it Abraham and Kodjia linked up to create a chance).

There's a real lack of belief. I'm going to take a term we use in mental health and use it here because I think it's apt and the reason for all the above. It's called 'dignity of risk' and our playing style under Bruce severely lacks any. In mental health dignity of risk is the idea that self-determination and the right to take reasonable risks are essential for dignity and self esteem and so should not be impeded by excessively-cautious caregivers, concerned about their duty of care. This in football terms would be a manager not allowing his team to take the necessary risks to win a game out of concern for 'getting beat'.

This is exactly why we see players regress instead of growing and flourishing. There's no room to be expressive, nor to evolve. There's only angst. Do as I say, and when you do, I'll put the blame on you. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

Only saw about 20 minutes of the game but from what I saw, it looked like the same old shit. We're just so turgid to watch, which would be ok if it got us results but it's not.

But as long as Bruce has the support of the media, I fear he won't be sacked. It was cringe-worthy listening to the commentators go on about all that "experience" Bruce has of getting teams up, conveniently ignoring the fact that he hasn't done it for quite a while now. How long is he going to dine out on stuff he did years before he even came here?

Sorry to inform you about the 5 minutes you missed when the commentator droned on about Bruce not able to bring in Terry yet.

Get all misty eyed just thinking about it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Troglodyte said:

Looking at his expressions towards the end of the game, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he isn't here in a few days' time.

2 hours ago, Dick said:

I do wonder if he has been given a points target.

cant help slipping under 50% of the points on offer.

Never a better time to play Rotherham imo.

33 minutes ago, TRO said:

I was talking about the past as that was how i read the post.

as you may glean from my recent posts my patience is waning rapidly....Todays offering is no encouragement.

i have said in the past, my defence of him is not unconditional.

However, I would never align myself with those that was against him from the start, i think its only fair to give any manager time to build a team.

But eventually everyone shows their true colours.

its just not going to work with him.....is it?

We’re on the same wavelength mate. Just need this to end ASAP?

Â