Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Nor me

He 'failed' once...i refuse to believe a board would set promotion as the seasons objective to a manager that takes over a team in the bottom 3 with a quarter of the season gone

and that was by a gnats goolies.

but he needs to make a good start....on paper ( and we know that can be misleading) we have a modest set of fixtures.

They need to come out of the traps and seize the initiative.....We have seen teams relegated, partially compete.....do that in this league and you get dumped on your arse.

You cannot have a team full of artists as "Harry" ( Redknapp)has recently claimed....but what ones we do have, have to compete and perform.

No passengers this year.....46 games of bump and grind.....with a little tender love in front of goal.

Edited by TRO

Just now, bobzy said:

I'd take a playoff final again this season.

You would be ok - with another failed play off final ? When the reason we have faced a summer of turmoil  is because of Bruce's shortcomings ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave J said:

You would be ok - with another failed play off final ? When the reason we have faced a summer of turmoil  is because of Bruce's shortcomings ?

I'm not sure what you're misunderstanding, or what you're trying to twist on me - so I'll try and make it more clear for you:

I will be happy if Aston Villa reach the playoff final in the 2018/19 English Championship season.

4 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Dave .....Rest assured, if you are right, all will be revealed.

These Owners will not play a game of procrastination.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dave J said:

You can't seriously be blaming our financial difficulties on us losing the playoff final?!

Our financial problems were down to Xia being a fraud 

2 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Play offs were his objective in his first season - he failed. 

i didnt spend long looking in fairness, but i see nothing in the news articles from when he joined us indicating that. considering the shambles our club was in coupled with the league position i think goes to show the totally unrealistic expectations that some fans have that they would consider not getting playoffs that season a failure.

these unrealistic exceptions have unfortunately continued to this season whereby anything other than promotion will once again be branded 'failure' despite having a weaker squad whilst others have strengthened

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

i didnt spend long looking in fairness, but i see nothing in the news articles from when he joined us indicating that. considering the shambles our club was in coupled with the league position i think goes to show the totally unrealistic expectations that some fans have that they would consider not getting playoffs that season a failure.

these unrealistic exceptions have unfortunately continued to this season whereby anything other than promotion will once again be branded 'failure' despite having a weaker squad whilst others have strengthened

I think looking at our current squad most level headed fans would be very happy with playoffs.

18 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

I’m just happy we have a team to support!

that's not as daft as it now sounds.

..............That express train come close it's has just parted my hair.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Personally, I'm pretty happy with being a team that challenges for automatic promotion.  I enjoy being competitive and found last season to be mostly enjoyable.

Would I like us to play football with the attacking flair of Man City?  Yes, I would.  Do I think Bruce is a complete failure of a manager for getting us to the playoff final?  No, I don't.

Hearing the constant negative crap from people who literally lump everything negative at the feet of the manager is **** tiresome.  We haven't even started the season.  Give it a rest.

Holy shit. You are HAPPY with the last 2 (sorry 1.75) seasons? You don't think it is a bad thing that we are still in the Championship?

And you think REACHING the play off finals will be a success? Not winning, reaching? I bet Sawiris and Edens don't agree with you.

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

Can you Adam n Eve the ambition of some ? Like last season was some kind of success.

1 hour ago, DrUnKeNbUm said:

You can't seriously be blaming our financial difficulties on us losing the playoff final?!

Our financial problems were down to Xia being a fraud 

The reason we lost the play - offs ? We were fecking abysmal. Nothing to do with Xia, more to do with Bruce.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

The reason we lost the play - offs ? We were fecking abysmal. Nothing to do with Xia, more to do with Bruce.

Agreed. We were abysmal, but to blame Bruce for the state our club is/was in is just false. 

For years this club has been run into the ground by poor ownership and management. 

As much as Bruce has his faults, he united our dressing room for the first time in nearly 10 years.

57 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Holy shit. You are HAPPY with the last 2 (sorry 1.75) seasons? You don't think it is a bad thing that we are still in the Championship?

And you think REACHING the play off finals will be a success? Not winning, reaching? I bet Sawiris and Edens don't agree with you.

No, I haven’t been happy with the last 2 seasons (where did I say that?). 

But also no, I don’t think it’s a bad thing we’re in the Championship - I enjoy being a competitive side. Would I rather we were competitive in the Premier League? Yes. 

No, simply reaching the playoff final would not be a success (again, where did I say that?).

57 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

A lot more to do with the players. Senior defenders caught ball watching for the goal. Jack grealish who so many people rate as a 50 million pound player with no end product after his little runs as per. Adomah poor, Grabban poor, hogan poor. We even played against ten men and still couldn't break them down. Bruce will take some responsibility for the defeat but you can't blame it solely on him. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave J said:

I wouldn't be OK with it. I'm sure I'd be gutted walking back down Wembley way listening to other fans celebrate.

But if we play some football this season I'll definitely enjoy the ride there loads more. Can't deal with watching us look like the players have never met. Need to get someone that Jack can pass to.

I have a feeling that Bruce does not fit with the new owners long term plan.

That is to say nothing against Bruce. I believe he has his merits, the way the galvanised the club during the previous turmoil. He brought positivity back during the run in last season, which memory was sullied and distorted by the loss in the final.

His management of players. His affable nature yet cut with a determination we’ve not seen from management in a long time. He never shrank, ala Lambert and Di Matteo; he has always been believely bold and resilient in his body language if not in his playing style. 

I think Edens & Sawiris have taken the option of consolidation and stability in the short time; at Aston Villa, Bruce is stability. It is a measured approach and perhaps the right one currently.

However, I believe Edens & Sawiris have a different long term vision. One of youth, a backbone of experience but a modern system, that requires a coach to be brave, not cautious, and moreover facilitates his players to be courageous; to probe and make things happen. Proactive not reactive. 

With that said I will watch on against Hull with support for Bruce. I think he’s earnt that. However, I think progression happens without Bruce at the helm. Thanked for his work, and the stability he brought. Of course I have no doubt Bruce does not believes this. He probably has no doubt, beyond a mans normal insecurities, that he is the right man to take this project forward. Let’s see if that strength of will and the situation get more out of him than has gone before.

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DrUnKeNbUm said:

Agreed. We were abysmal, but to blame Bruce for the state our club is/was in is just false. 

For years this club has been run into the ground by poor ownership and management. 

As much as Bruce has his faults, he united our dressing room for the first time in nearly 10 years.

Any manager worth his salt should do that, plus the manager had the commitment and backing of those running the club,which previous managers haven't had. As much as some like to claim that he united the team, they still let promotion slip from their grasp, you would think a happy united team would be fully motivated and fully confident in their quest for promotion, but alas, it seemed , when it mattered, they were quite the opposite. So much for a united dressing room.

2 hours ago, holteend1982 said:

A lot more to do with the players. Senior defenders caught ball watching for the goal. Jack grealish who so many people rate as a 50 million pound player with no end product after his little runs as per. Adomah poor, Grabban poor, hogan poor. We even played against ten men and still couldn't break them down. Bruce will take some responsibility for the defeat but you can't blame it solely on him. 

He's responsible for how the team play's. If the players don't seem motivated, then the manager as to put that right. I'm pretty certain it's going to be more of the same turgid crap this season. I know for some winning is all that matters, but when we don't win, my God, it's depressing. There's nothing to break the fall, no redeeming qualities at all.

Â