Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

6 hours ago, DrUnKeNbUm said:

You can't seriously be blaming our financial difficulties on us losing the playoff final?!

Our financial problems were down to Xia being a fraud 

5 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

The reason we lost the play - offs ? We were fecking abysmal. Nothing to do with Xia, more to do with Bruce.

If anyone needs a clear and obvious example of misunderstanding a comment and giving a totally inappropriate reply -

here it is.

(A clue - he was talking about the reasons for our financial crisis, not the reasons for us losing the playoffs, d’oh.)

7 hours ago, bobzy said:

I'd take a playoff final again this season.

.. and watch another poor display? No thanks. I would happily take 2nd place - which we where more than capable of achieving and at one stage we had and was ours to loose iirc.

It seemed that as soon as we did hit 2nd the managers arse went from under him and we just about secured a play off place in the end.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

.. and watch another poor display? No thanks. I would happily take 2nd place - which we where more than capable of achieving and at one stage we had and was ours to loose iirc.

It seemed that as soon as we did hit 2nd the managers arse went from under him and we just about secured a play off place in the end.

You wouldn’t be happy with reaching the playoff final this season?

Edited by bobzy

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

We was second for about a week so was never really ours to lose. It was Cardiffs to lose all season. And we made the play offs comftably, even had chance to rest players for last couple of games. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DrUnKeNbUm said:

You can't seriously be blaming our financial difficulties on us losing the playoff final?!

Our financial problems were down to Xia being a fraud 

If Bruce had met his objective - we would not be having this conversation at all 

28 minutes ago, bobzy said:

You wouldn’t be happy with reaching the playoff final this season?

This season is a direct result of our failure to achieve what was required last season

So yes, Under SB I would consider reaching the play-off final a huge (and unlikely) success

I don’t imagine SB will last the season but if he does I don’t believe we will make the top 8 let alone the playoff final

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

He's responsible for how the team play's. If the players don't seem motivated, then the manager as to put that right. I'm pretty certain it's going to be more of the same turgid crap this season. I know for some winning is all that matters, but when we don't win, my God, it's depressing. There's nothing to break the fall, no redeeming qualities at all.

We won quite a few times last season, was less depressing defeats last season then the previous seasons, so that was nice. 

Football happens, it’s not an exact science, and human error makes it that little more unpredictable and exciting, imagine how boring it would be knowing the team was always going to win, or that the team with the most expensive team is always going to win? No one would bother watching it!

On a different day Villa could’ve won the play off final, a different bounce of the ball or a slight deflection or clearance that went an inch differently, the fact we lost is just good leverage to use against Bruce, however we also know that had he won the playoff final, then the same fans calling him a failure would still be calling for his head at the start of a premier league season so the “failures” actually do not make iota of difference, it’s just an extra bit of ammunition.

I guess what I’m trying to say it’s a bit tiresome now, did the idea of Henry coming in excite me of course, but Bruce has got the reigns so let’s stop tearing him down and just support him and the team. 

UTV!

• Like 2

Also had Bruce won the final we would’ve only won £100 million or so and no new owners. I know no one goes out to not get promoted but thank god we didn’t! 

This Aston Villa team may have just laid the foundations for very exciting times to come for us, so let’s enjoy the ride for another season and see where it takes us!

The next few years are going to be interesting. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dave J said:

If Bruce had met his objective - we would not be having this conversation at all 

Not right now we wouldn't.

But Bruce wasn't the one who nearly put us into administration. He isn't to blame for our financial difficulties 

4 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Any manager worth his salt should do that, plus the manager had the commitment and backing of those running the club,which previous managers haven't had. As much as some like to claim that he united the team, they still let promotion slip from their grasp, you would think a happy united team would be fully motivated and fully confident in their quest for promotion, but alas, it seemed , when it mattered, they were quite the opposite. So much for a united dressing room.

So a happy united team = promotion? 

I wish it was as easy as that.

I agree we invested heavily and basically gambled on promotion, Bruce failed in that respect. 

But he didn't cause the financial mess we were in.

33 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

This season is a direct result of our failure to achieve what was required last season

So yes, Under SB I would consider reaching the play-off final a huge (and unlikely) success

I don’t imagine SB will last the season but if he does I don’t believe we will make the top 8 let alone the playoff final

So yes, you’d be happy with it.

If Steve Bruce got sacked today and a replacement came in, would you be happy reaching the playoff final this season?

Again, I would be. 

This bit's interesting, basically Bruce has accepted he can no longer be, Bruce.

"We have to be a bit younger than we were last year - when you look back, too many of the squad we had put together last year was on the wrong side of 30. So we need a bit more freshness, a bit more legs and a bit more energy."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/11460402/steve-bruce-says-it-is-time-for-aston-villa-to-rebuild

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, DrUnKeNbUm said:

Not right now we wouldn't.

But Bruce wasn't the one who nearly put us into administration. He isn't to blame for our financial difficulties 

No but his failure to meet his objective played a significant role in how we found ourselves in that situation - if promotion had been achieved it would not have happened - surely we all reconcile this much?

where I would concur is that the club would have remained on a downward trajectory - despite on the surface appearing to be in an upward trend.

I posted in here a couple of weeks ago about how Bruce had no chance with a lot of the fans this season.

The last couple of pages have proved it. The expectation from a lot of fans still seems to be automatic promotion.

I think we'll be lucky to get playoffs this season, and I acknowledge Bruce's blame in that.

But I think automatic promotion this season would be an exceptional performance from this squad and manager. Even if Bruce has a good season, in isolation, I think he'll fall short of a lot of fans' expectations.

9 hours ago, bobzy said:

No, I haven’t been happy with the last 2 seasons (where did I say that?). 

But also no, I don’t think it’s a bad thing we’re in the Championship - I enjoy being a competitive side. Would I rather we were competitive in the Premier League? Yes. 

No, simply reaching the playoff final would not be a success (again, where did I say that?).

you said it here......

11 hours ago, bobzy said:

Personally, I'm pretty happy with being a team that challenges for automatic promotion.  I enjoy being competitive and found last season to be mostly enjoyable.

Would I like us to play football with the attacking flair of Man City?  Yes, I would.  Do I think Bruce is a complete failure of a manager for getting us to the playoff final?  No, I don't.

Hearing the constant negative crap from people who literally lump everything negative at the feet of the manager is **** tiresome.  We haven't even started the season.  Give it a rest.

No, I haven’t been happy with the last 2 seasons (where did I say that?). 

But also no, I don’t think it’s a bad thing we’re in the Championship - I enjoy being a competitive side. Would I rather we were competitive in the Premier League? Yes. 

No, simply reaching the playoff final would not be a success (again, where did I say that?).

You said it here....... Admittedly you referred to being happy, rather than considering it a success, but if you are happy you must consider it to be a success, no?

I'm not sure what you're misunderstanding, or what you're trying to twist on me - so I'll try and make it more clear for you:

I will be happy if Aston Villa reach the playoff final in the 2018/19 English Championship season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

So yes, you’d be happy with it.

If Steve Bruce got sacked today and a replacement came in, would you be happy reaching the playoff final this season?

Again, I would be. 

I absolutely agree that whoever the manager, the play off final would be beyond the scope of expectation given where we are

Additionally, from what I understand, Bruce will not be the man to bring through the youngsters and integrate them into the team - there is a feeling amongst the younger players that he doesn’t rate/trust them

Hes a decent man and a competent manager but not what is required for us now. I get the argument that it is something of a free hit this season with lower expectation but I think others have a better chance of success or at least of building a foundation for the future

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I posted in here a couple of weeks ago about how Bruce had no chance with a lot of the fans this season.

The last couple of pages have proved it. The expectation from a lot of fans still seems to be automatic promotion.

I think we'll be lucky to get playoffs this season, and I acknowledge Bruce's blame in that.

But I think automatic promotion this season would be an exceptional performance from this squad and manager. Even if Bruce has a good season, in isolation, I think he'll fall short of a lot of fans' expectations.

I don't think this is the case Stevo - you know fine well that I don't rate Bruce, but my reasons for this are his failure to reach the play off in his first season - yes this was realistic ( January and  you know who put paid to this ) moving on

And last year he should have taken the club up - however this year I genuinely have no clue as to where we will end up 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

you said it here......

You said it here....... Admittedly you referred to being happy, rather than considering it a success, but if you are happy you must consider it to be a success, no?

Not sure where you’re getting anything about 2 seasons. From memory we finished 13th a couple of seasons back which clearly wasn’t challenging for automatic promotion.

And no - being happy with something doesn’t equate success. Promotion is success. Finishing 4th is a good campaign. It isn’t hard. 

Â