Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, eholm said:

Again, I don't think that term, dinosaur, is discriminatory. I use it myself to indicate a manager who uses outdated tactics and strategies....it is the approach that is dated not the physical attributes of the man himself!

fair enough ?

• Like 1

I've watched the first round of Championship matches closely. There's been a lot of positive and technically excellent football played. A number of teams are keeping the ball on the ground a lot, but adding quick long balls to keep the opposition on the hop. The high pressing from Leeds and Brentford was breath taking (literally)!

I know it's only one match weekend, but if that's how teams are going to set up there's clearly no way forward for teams that set up negatively.

Bruce has to coach a more positive attacking system this season, if we're to have a chance of the playoffs and promotion.

4 hours ago, Jareth said:

This bit's interesting, basically Bruce has accepted he can no longer be, Bruce.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/11460402/steve-bruce-says-it-is-time-for-aston-villa-to-rebuild

I don’t think that change in mind set has come from Bruce. It’s come from the new owners.

No matter what he has said about transfers he quite obviously isn’t in total control of who comes in.

Thats a major shift in transfer policy from last season and not before time.

Edited by striker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

I've watched the first round of Championship matches closely. There's been a lot of positive and technically excellent football played. A number of teams are keeping the ball on the ground a lot, but adding quick long balls to keep the opposition on the hop. The high pressing from Leeds and Brentford was breath taking (literally)!

I know it's only one match weekend, but if that's how teams are going to set up there's clearly no way forward for teams that set up negatively.

Bruce has to coach a more positive attacking system this season, if we're to have a chance of the playoffs and promotion.

Hence why by March 2019 they'll be 9th and 13th respectively.

I'd be incredibly surprised if these teams can play the same way when some weeks we have 2 or 3 games over a 3 or 4 week period.

In the Championship you have young players trying to get the Prem, but they are inconsistent or old pros dropping down the leagues, and they don't have the legs for it.  

Only the best of the best teams, with huge squads to rotate can have success playing this way.  

It looks **** great when it works, but eventually a long ball to speedy striker will undo you.  And that will happen more often than not in the Championship.

Just my 2 cents on it.  

• Like 2

I have been pretty much a Bruce supporter since he has got here, but this is my stance on things now.

If we get a similar start to last season (7 Games) and we continue to only play half a game then I think I might change my tune.

He has pretty much the same squad as last year and only Terry being a real lose to me. This starting from scratch he said the other day doesn't hold much water. He has had most of those players all last season. with Kodija and RDL coming back into contention. Looks like he is getting a few new players, but we need to start on the front foot and move things forward.

3 minutes ago, villianusa said:

I have been pretty much a Bruce supporter since he has got here, but this is my stance on things now.

If we get a similar start to last season (7 Games) and we continue to only play half a game then I think I might change my tune.

He has pretty much the same squad as last year and only Terry being a real lose to me. This starting from scratch he said the other day doesn't hold much water. He has had most of those players all last season. with Kodija and RDL coming back into contention. Looks like he is getting a few new players, but we need to start on the front foot and move things forward.

I agree with drawing attention to that start. It was dreadful.

AFTER that we played 39 games and got 76 Points.

So If we better last seasons start, and then perform at the same level as the rest of last season, we go up.

Im convinced we will do exactly that - starting with a convincing win tonight .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

I agree with drawing attention to that start. It was dreadful.

AFTER that we played 39 games and got 76 Points.

So If we better last seasons start, and then perform at the same level as the rest of last season, we go up.

Im convinced we will do exactly that - starting with a convincing win tonight .

I truly hope you are right @terrytini I do want him to succeed as I believe is made of the right stuff. We have the players who can do it, Everyone needs to come together and make it happen.

Just now, villianusa said:

I truly hope you are right @terrytini I do want him to succeed as I believe is made of the right stuff. We have the players who can do it, Everyone needs to come together and make it happen.

After Reading Away last season, and the humiliation at Cardiff, I 100% wanted him out. I saw no way he would get the goals or points totals we needed.

I was wrong.....he did then achieve the results which, over a full season, would’ve seen us go up. I am very sure he will maintain almost that exact level of results. If we do, we go up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Hence why by March 2019 they'll be 9th and 13th respectively.

I'd be incredibly surprised if these teams can play the same way when some weeks we have 2 or 3 games over a 3 or 4 week period.

In the Championship you have young players trying to get the Prem, but they are inconsistent or old pros dropping down the leagues, and they don't have the legs for it.  

Only the best of the best teams, with huge squads to rotate can have success playing this way.  

It looks **** great when it works, but eventually a long ball to speedy striker will undo you.  And that will happen more often than not in the Championship.

Just my 2 cents on it.  

possibly the best single game of last season was us beating Wolves at Home......If only one game was the benchmark.

8 hours ago, Jareth said:

Yeah it looks like an order from up high, and must be something bruce has considered anyway given the play-off final. Maybe the old dog can learn new tricks - or maybe he'll be replaced after 10 games.

I'm hedging my bet's towards the latter.

8 hours ago, osmark86 said:

I'm pretty sure if Bruce got a go ahead from the owner that he could have whatever players he wanted to achieve the goal set for him, then he was free to do so without having to consider the financial implications. I think it's pretty lame to blame Bruce for this as his job is the football not the financing of the football.

Absolutely however the signings you speak off would have been made with one common goal amongst the clubs hierarchy - Bruce failed in his objective that was given to him despite being handed the resource to do so - and whilst Bruce cannot be held responsible for the fiasco of this summer - I don't think it's lame to suggest he is not  culpable to some degree ? Surely if the club had been promoted as expected none of these conversations would have needed to have taken place? Imo 

Worried about his health to be honest, managing a football club seems bad for him.

He looked like a new man when he joined us, must have lost 3-4 stone since his last job. He looks like he's spent all summer living on pies and real ale. A bad result away from a heart attack. 

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Worried about his health to be honest, managing a football club seems bad for him.

He looked like a new man when he joined us, must have lost 3-4 stone since his last job. He looks like he's spent all summer living on pies and real ale. A bad result away from a heart attack. 

Maybe something to do with losing both parents in the space of a couple of months?

• Sad 1

Â