Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

You're going to be very disappointed.

I'm genuinely surprised you feel this way given all the names mentioned share a philosophy of trying to play attractive football - but hey it's a forum and your views are as important as the next 

2 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Well, if he is staying, I will just have to accept it.

He cannot change his mindset. The football will be turgid; the youngsters will languish in the U23's for another season if they don't move on; we will not get promoted; we will not be relegated.

Under the present circumstances this is perhaps the best we can hope for, although it will be another wasted season. But at least we will still exist.

My expectations have lowered dramatically - survival looks good!!!

Well , He can....but maybe he thinks he doesn't have to.....on the other hand he may have second thoughts and change.

I think there is little choice ,he has to play the kids.

No season is wasted, before we kick a ball.....that's just hindsight, in action.

Cardiff could have thought they had no chance.....but when expectation is low and the delivery is high.....it tastes all the much sweeter.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I'm genuinely surprised you feel this way given all the names mentioned share a philosophy of trying to play attractive football - but hey it's a forum and your views are as important as the next 

I have a philosophy of trying to play attractive football, doesn't mean if I took over Villa tomorrow I'd be able to do it.

If anyone you listed gets appointed, with our financial issues, we'll be in for an average at best season.

We'll be looking back on last season with envy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Well , He can....but maybe he thinks he doesn't have to.....on the other hand he may have second thoughts and change.

No season is wasted, before we kick a ball.....that's just hindsight, in action.

Cardiff could have thought they had no chance.....but when expectation is low and the delivery is high.....it tastes all the much sweeter.

And the saying goes, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. 

I've seen nothing to suggest that keeping Bruce, with less money and talent, will provide us with either better football, promotion, or both.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Disagree totally, Tro.

That is all wishful thinking on your part.

I am happy that my post will be closer to the reality of the situation.

I see merits in both views.  If there was an obvious choice to replace Bruce, I'd be happy to roll the dice.  Equally with the current chaos, having some level of stability in the club is badly needed.

Mind you, the thought of another 1000 pages of this thread might tip me over the edge...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, USA_Villa said:

The thought of us keeping Bruce or Hutton is again hoping for a short term fix. Keeping both is suicidal.

No really it isn't. In the current situation it's entirely sensible. We can't pretend that we can make the sort of decisions that, if money was no object, we would.As much stability as possible is the way forward next season. Anything else is wishful thinking and could, at worse, make the situation more difficult still.

37 minutes ago, USA_Villa said:

I've seen nothing to suggest that keeping Bruce, with less money and talent, will provide us with either better football, promotion, or both.

He won't.

Forget promotion. If our finances are as bad as they seem, it's not an option.

We shouldn't be comparing what Bruce can do with what he did last season.
We should be comparing what Bruce can do with what whoever we can convince to take the job under these shitty circumstances can do.

I'd suggest Bruce wins in that scenario.

If our finances aren't that bad, and the outlook is far more positive, then it's a totally different discussion.

48 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He won't.

Forget promotion. If our finances are as bad as they seem, it's not an option.

We shouldn't be comparing what Bruce can do with what he did last season.
We should be comparing what Bruce can do with what whoever we can convince to take the job under these shitty circumstances can do.

I'd suggest Bruce wins in that scenario.

If our finances aren't that bad, and the outlook is far more positive, then it's a totally different discussion.

Well no he doesn't.  Bruce doesn't win in either scenario. If we have no money and have to play the youngsters and develop a new style then he doesn't win. 

5 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Then we'll need to agree to disagree Rob.

I spent that entire first half utterly distraught with what the players were doing, not what SB was doing.

I guess it comes down to perception, some people seem to think that players are like puppets on a string, the Manager being the puppeteer of course. I don't subscribe to that.

The Manager will pick a formation, pick 11 players and will try and give some kind of motivational team talk (I assume), from that point on it's on the players as far as I'm concerned.

I know the players bottled it, if I was more dedicated to proving myself right I'd go back and watch the first half to make specific notes but I clearly recall at least 2-3 occasions in the first half where it was obvious (as mentioned previously, people looking like complete strangers to one another) - this is not SB (or any Managers fault), they failed to rise to the occasion, it's literally as simple as that.

People keep referencing our style of play throughout the season, thing is, I watched some other Championship teams, Fulham, Wolves and Cardiff particularly - the quality was not great in any of them, might just be because it's 2nd tier football.

im not quite sure how/why this is even a debate. SB has been quoted as saying the game plan was to contain in the first half until the youth of fulham tired ( which it did) and go for it in the 2nd where the risk of fast counter was less.

not a bad plan - but every pundit in the land said if we did that we'd lose - and we did.

Not only did he get it wrong but seemingly the general consensus out there knew he was wrong.

5 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Nah you're right, lets sack SB and go get one of the worlds greatest Managers.

Honestly, they're all waiting for a call from Dr. T right now.

How do the goalposts move? No one claims Bruce is anything other than what he is, an experienced Manager who, whether you like to admit it or not, probably knows more about football and football management than all of us combined.

It's the 'Brouters' who love to shout and make as much noise as possible, often based on nothing other than opinion or assumption. When presented with facts they choose to ignore them and being making noise again instead, it's the new Trump-inspired approach to making yourself seem important, make lots of noise and lots of bullshit but if you say it for long enough and loud enough others might start believing it.

What other nonsense. Trying to equate wanting Bruce out to Trump! Oh dearey me.

Yet in the Xia thread you are more than happy to crucify the guy based on limited information yet you defend Bruce to the hilt and use sarcasm and hyperbole against anyone who doesn't, despite his second season of failure.

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I guess the wise man will say, if there is no obvious surety to change, what are you changing for?

A very wise man once said...

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results

Bruce out for me.

47 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

not a bad plan - but every pundit in the land said if we did that we'd lose - and we did.

Not only did he get it wrong but seemingly the general consensus out there knew he was wrong.

So, basically the very definition of a bad plan!

1 minute ago, TheStagMan said:

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results

Well that's handy cos we actually want the same result this season, a high league placing, better still a play-off place. 

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Well that's handy cos we actually want the same result this season, a high league placing, better still a play-off place. 

No, I actually still want promotion. ?

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

im not quite sure how/why this is even a debate. SB has been quoted as saying the game plan was to contain in the first half until the youth of fulham tired ( which it did) and go for it in the 2nd where the risk of fast counter was less.

Maybe so but we didn't really contain them and fell asleep for their goal, we let them have free reign of the pitch and on the few occasions we got possession we were a shambles. 

Whatever SB instructed them to do, I'm pretty sure it wasn't that.

Look, I'm not going to encourage anyone to watch that game again, I'm trying to etch it out of memory but there were lots of examples of the players bottling it and/or allowing the occasion to get to them, even JT. 

We all thought pre game our experience would win over against their youth, totally didnt happen, they were bang up for it and we were shitting ourselves. 

I'm not saying SB is blameless, I'm sure he will have done something differently if given the chance to repeat, but for me, irrespective of tactics the players did not look up for it, for whatever reason(s). 

Â