Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

29 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

This dispute about did we set up defensively.  I suggest watching the first - half of our most important game of the season, if anyone has any doubts about the way Bruce wants  his team's to play. It must be one of the most inept  first - half performances in a play-off final ever. 

When you realise the consequences of that defeat, it makes the way we approached that game totally incomprehensible. Unforgivable, as far as I'm concerned. I want a manager  who is prepared to send us out to play on the front foot from the first minute, especially  against opposition, who are considered inferior to us.

It still riles me how a club the size of Fulham were shown so much respect by our players . Why would you allow the opposition to just stroke the ball around like they did in that first - half ? Where was the intensity and will to dominate the game. All that so called experience, and where did it go ? AWOL. 

I agree as regards that game, and half a dozen others.....too cautious....and I think it cost us. ( but who knows, maybe we’d have been even worse had we done things differently ) But not as a rule, in my view.

Anyway. Gone now.

1 hour ago, penguin said:

Maybe I'm misreading the tone of your post but my point is obviously not that's we'd have gone up with a shitter team.

What I do think is that he has a ceiling and increasing the quality of the squad beyond a certain level and you start getting exponentially diminishing returns. He's good at creating defensively solid teams who take very little risks and instead try and grind out results, which could be exactly what we need next year if we have any promotion aspirations with a weaker team than this year.

He's not the ideal tactician for a side who are favourites most games and have one of the best squads in the league though, as we've seen this year imo.

No don't worry, I'm just being facetious, or a faeces. ?

2 hours ago, penguin said:

Couple of weeks ago I'd have been really happy about him going but it really could be out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Especially with our team almost certainly going to be weakened next year, he is a master at achieving promotion with bang average teams. 

But shit at doing it with good ones?

What winds me up about Bruce is how he seems to think he had to try and get us promoted on a budget. It’s almost like the 22 million he spent on players in January never happened. 

I doubt we’ll be spending 22M in a transfer window in years to come. 

Anyway this discussion has been done to death. I just got reminded of his spending by a MOM article. 

I’d prefer him gone. Next season will be too tough for him. The Mass hysteria would be too much for him to handle.

5 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Won't be surprised if he walks and goes to Leeds as he knows he ain't getting us promoted next season

They are probably waiting for us to sack him so they won't have to pay compo, we are probably waiting for them to buy him out so we don't have to pay compo.

Hopefully they crack first.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

This dispute about did we set up defensively.  I suggest watching the first - half of our most important game of the season, if anyone has any doubts about the way Bruce wants  his team's to play. It must be one of the most inept  first - half performances in a play-off final ever. 

When you realise the consequences of that defeat, it makes the way we approached that game totally incomprehensible. Unforgivable, as far as I'm concerned. I want a manager  who is prepared to send us out to play on the front foot from the first minute, especially  against opposition, who are considered inferior to us.

It still riles me how a club the size of Fulham were shown so much respect by our players . Why would you allow the opposition to just stroke the ball around like they did in that first - half ? Where was the intensity and will to dominate the game. All that so called experience, and where did it go ? AWOL. 

Garbage for 90% matches this season.

Everything enjoyable came through Jack Grealish.

Real cack. Some refuse to see it. That's OK, people enjoy different things. I honestly cba another season of Steve Bruce. What a shame this financial mess has meant we can't sack him.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Garbage for 90% matches this season.

Everything enjoyable came through Jack Grealish.

Real cack. Some refuse to see it. That's OK, people enjoy different things. I honestly cba another season of Steve Bruce. What a shame this financial mess has meant we can't sack him.

Yeah. Some refuse to see it.

Or, you know, some have a different opinion than you?

We have been turgid at times. We've also been excellent at times. I'd suggest the majority of the time we've been decent.
It wasn't good enough in the end, but the talk of hoofball and awful football is vastly exaggerated.

I've said before, but I think people fail to adjust their footballing expectations to match the league we're in. Relative to the Championship, the football we play is pretty good. I imagine 20 ish teams in this league wish they played the football we do (did).

I'm happy to see Bruce leave, assuming there's a good candidate to replace him (that's another story). But if people are expecting us to suddenly vastly improve our playing style then they're going to be disappointed.

34 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah. Some refuse to see it.

Or, you know, some have a different opinion than you?

We have been turgid at times. We've also been excellent at times. I'd suggest the majority of the time we've been decent.
It wasn't good enough in the end, but the talk of hoofball and awful football is vastly exaggerated.

I've said before, but I think people fail to adjust their footballing expectations to match the league we're in. Relative to the Championship, the football we play is pretty good. I imagine 20 ish teams in this league wish they played the football we do (did).

I'm happy to see Bruce leave, assuming there's a good candidate to replace him (that's another story). But if people are expecting us to suddenly vastly improve our playing style then they're going to be disappointed.

Well that is very clearly not the case in my humble opinion - let's say McCarthy got the gig - in this instance you would most likely be correct - if someone like Tony Mowbray or the Cowley bro's or even Lee Johnson got the gig then the fayre on offer would be very different again in my opinion - and for the record I am not endorsing the names I put forward here ( at least not for a while )

37 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Well that is very clearly not the case in my humble opinion - let's say McCarthy got the gig - in this instance you would most likely be correct - if someone like Tony Mowbray or the Cowley bro's or even Lee Johnson got the gig then the fayre on offer would be very different again in my opinion - and for the record I am not endorsing the names I put forward here ( at least not for a while )

Wow. If you're expecting improvement with those names you're in for a big disappointment.

This is exactly why sacking Bruce might not be the great decision everybody thinks it will be. If those are the kind of replacements we can expect then we're ****.

I think it's pretty clear Bruce is staying put.I don't think we have the funds to sack him anyway. It is said that he has been given assurances regarding transfer budget and as I have said all along Xia does not want to contemplate selling Jack. if the sums add up we probably won't be too badly off come Aug 4. Here's hoping!!

• Like 1

Â