Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I actually missed the game as had another event I couldn’t get out of attending. But I did watch the extended highlights and they look like we had the best chances but didn’t capitalise. The best chance actually falling to our best player and he should have done better. 

But after reading so many posts it sounds like they totally out played us first half and deserved to take the lead.  Also that Steve Bruce got it wrong.

The problem with Villa under Bruce is we very rarely get anything out of a game if we go behind. But if take the lead we normally win.  We are a pure counter attacking team.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

3 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Disagree totally, Tro.

That is all wishful thinking on your part.

I am happy that my post will be closer to the reality of the situation.

keep happy clapping.

its all wishful/ pre-emptive thinking on anyones part.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I actually missed the game as had another event I couldn’t get out of attending. But I did watch the extended highlights and they look like we had the best chances but didn’t capitalise. The best chance actually falling to our best player and he should have done better. 

But after reading so many posts it sounds like they totally out played us first half and deserved to have the lead. 

We made a basic error.....that we made umpteen times all season......they made a move they have made umpteen times all season.

yes I guess deserved, is the right word to use.

3 hours ago, USA_Villa said:

And the saying goes, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. 

I've seen nothing to suggest that keeping Bruce, with less money and talent, will provide us with either better football, promotion, or both.

My missus has got me to drink less......not all sayings are true.

She has bought me a Bentley?

56 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

A very wise man once said...

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results

Bruce out for me.

Not quite the same thing that Enstein intended.....so many varying factors.

nigh on impossible to do the same thing.

Edited by TRO

50 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Well that's handy cos we actually want the same result this season, a high league placing, better still a play-off place. 

Whose we ? And it's not really handy, because we lost the play - off final . So why would anyone want a repeat of that ? The thought of another season having to watch that turgid  crap. Not for me.

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

Whose we ? And it's not really handy, because we lost the play - off final . So why would anyone want a repeat of that ? The thought of another season having to watch that turgid  crap. Not for me.

Ok, I. And maybe some others, probably. 

The poll has attracted more than 15,000 votes, with 61 per cent choosing 'Yes, he's the man to get us up' and 39 per cent opting for 'No he hasn't achieved what he was asked'.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-bruce-manager-aston-villa-14762138

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I've got a rope....if you want to look for a bridge.?

56 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Maybe so but we didn't really contain them and fell asleep for their goal, we let them have free reign of the pitch and on the few occasions we got possession we were a shambles. 

Whatever SB instructed them to do, I'm pretty sure it wasn't that.

Look, I'm not going to encourage anyone to watch that game again, I'm trying to etch it out of memory but there were lots of examples of the players bottling it and/or allowing the occasion to get to them, even JT. 

We all thought pre game our experience would win over against their youth, totally didnt happen, they were bang up for it and we were shitting ourselves. 

I'm not saying SB is blameless, I'm sure he will have done something differently if given the chance to repeat, but for me, irrespective of tactics the players did not look up for it, for whatever reason(s). 

maybe the reason they didn't look up for it was the tactics and the instructions they had.  i've said this before.  we had two wide players.  Adomah standing right in front of Bruce and Snodgrass on the other side of the pitch.  Snodgrass was pushed forward and putting pressure on the fulham defense when they had possession.  It was easy for them to work around him and grabban becuase Albert was 30-40 yards withdrawn, so Fulham just switched field and the running from Snodgrass and Grabban was made useless.  

Now, I repeat.  Albert was standing within a few yards of Bruce who never said "get the F@%$$^ forward and support the pressure !"  So, who was failing to follow instructions.... Snodgrass or Albert.   Because no fool would only have high pressure on only one side of the pitch.

Albert, standing next to Bruce, dropped 30-40 yards deeper (too deep IMO) was clearly following the manager instructions.

Now, did the manager instructions include.... let an opponent make a run just inside of you unmarked?   of course not.  Albert missed that mark and should be blamed, but there's a difference between following your manager's instructions to sit deep and doing everything right while you are sat (too) deep.

Manager screwed up the plan, player screwed up the application of the plan in that one moment.   And you can't claim that Albert should have been pushed up higher because he was right next to the manager the entire half. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jareth said:

The poll has attracted more than 15,000 votes, with 61 per cent choosing 'Yes, he's the man to get us up' and 39 per cent opting for 'No he hasn't achieved what he was asked'.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-bruce-manager-aston-villa-14762138

any duplicate votes made.  i'm pretty sure some on here have nothing to do all day but vote over and over again for Bruce.  ;) 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Jareth said:

How depressing. 

If he's staying it's to save money IMO. Whilst I have some sympathy for the idea of him being a safe pair of hands whilst everything else is going tits up. I'm not so sure that's the right way of looking at it. He's put us in a position now where all the money he spunked in transfers and wages are no longer viable, or are no longer full stop as they've said thanks for the cash and **** off. Now we have to replace Baker for the second summer in two years for example, he'll have to have a radical change of outlook with respect to the youth and to team building for him to be a safe pair of hands. Otherwise he's just as much of a risk as all the other chancers taking the piss out of AVFC.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

maybe the reason they didn't look up for it was the tactics and the instructions they had.  i've said this before.  we had two wide players.  Adomah standing right in front of Bruce and Snodgrass on the other side of the pitch.  Snodgrass was pushed forward and putting pressure on the fulham defense when they had possession.  It was easy for them to work around him and grabban becuase Albert was 30-40 yards withdrawn, so Fulham just switched field and the running from Snodgrass and Grabban was made useless.  

Now, I repeat.  Albert was standing within a few yards of Bruce who never said "get the F@%$$^ forward and support the pressure !"  So, who was failing to follow instructions.... Snodgrass or Albert.   Because no fool would only have high pressure on only one side of the pitch.

Albert, standing next to Bruce, dropped 30-40 yards deeper (too deep IMO) was clearly following the manager instructions.

Now, did the manager instructions include.... let an opponent make a run just inside of you unmarked?   of course not.  Albert missed that mark and should be blamed, but there's a difference between following your manager's instructions to sit deep and doing everything right while you are sat (too) deep.

Manager screwed up the plan, player screwed up the application of the plan in that one moment.   And you can't claim that Albert should have been pushed up higher because he was right next to the manager the entire half. 

Both Terry and Chester were ball wathcing though too. with respect to the goal.

7 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Is it a good point though or is it just an easy statement to make?

Our team vs Wolves away:

Johnstone,

Elmohamady, Terry, Chester, Hutton,

Snodgrass, Hourihane, Whelan, Adomah,

Davis, Kodjia

Our team vs Wolves home:

Johnstone,

Elmohamady, Chester, Terry, Taylor,

Snodgrass, Jedinak, Hourihane, Adomah, Grealish,

Grabban

Our team vs Cardiff away:

Sam Johnstone 

Alan Hutton, James Chester, John Terry Neil Taylor, Ahmed Elmohamady

Henri Lansbury, Glenn Whelan, Joshua Onomah

Gabriel Agbonlahor, Scott Hogan

Our team vs Cardiff home:

Johnstone,

Elmohamady, Chester, Jedinak, Tuanzebe,

Snodgrass, Whelan, Hourihane, Adomah, Grealish,

Grabban

So in those two away games, that we lost, we had 2 strikers on the pitch.

The two home games, which we won, we had 1 striker on the pitch.

But SB 'sets us up negatively and to lose away from home', right?

Fair points but you could display a multitude of team sheets yet play in a different way on the pitch.

I also don't think anyone has said that Bruce set the team up to lose away from home. What they are saying is the team on many occasions last season were set up with the onus on not losing which handed the initiative to what was on paper inferior opposition. That was quite evident throughout the season and with the most expensively assembled squad the Championship has seen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I have a philosophy of trying to play attractive football, doesn't mean if I took over Villa tomorrow I'd be able to do it.

If anyone you listed gets appointed, with our financial issues, we'll be in for an average at best season.

We'll be looking back on last season with envy.

Well of course you would - you either do or you don't, don't make it any more complex than it is - it really is down to your choosing as a manager and as for looking back with envy ? On a failed season ?

Sung to Love Don't Live Here Anymore by Jimmy Nail (Yes, Oz)

You have failed me
We don't want you anymore
Need a vacancy
We don't want you anymore

Just felt a need to lighten the mood ............ It's so depressing

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m just moving from thread to thread hoping for some good news but each one is even more depressing than the last. 

Its going to be a long summer for Villa fans. 

Come to Off Topic baby!

• Like 1

Â