Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

It’s far from perfect, but for the first time in years we’re moving up the table, looking at the teams above us and deciding if they are catchable.

I suspect that if you or I got fortunate enough to have a 1:1 with Dr T after a couple of Stella’s he’d agree the performances were not what he hoped, but results wise it’s not a million miles off. Not far enough to risk rolling the dice.

Thats just my hunch, and we all knew this before he was even hired. It was never going to be free flowing exiciting attacking football. It was anticipated it would be a route back to the big time.

Villa are in a funny place, not tearing it up and looking like certs for promotion, but then not dead and buried for this season either.

54 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Not so sure about people “altering their views” but have you considered that, after a really decent and significant victory  - an unexpected one too - some people (for the purposes of this post let’s call them “Aston Villa fans” as opposed to “obesssive critics of Steve Bruce”) might just want to come on here and enjoy the moment and simply celebrate a win. When they get here all they get is the usual droning on about how useless Steve Bruce is. Maybe he is useless- I’m not arrogant enough to pass that judgement on an extremely experienced and successful manager - but, for this evening only, he’s done OK so let’s just enjoy it, no?

Sorry, I know I am in the wrong thread and no one is allowed to say anything remotely positive about Steve Bruce here but, since I was here, I thought I should just mention it. :D

I’ve no idea if you read the post I was replying to or not but I’m not the least bit complaint either about the Win or about anyone enjoying it.

Dont you celebrate the Win in the Ratings thread Anyway ? This is the discuss Bruce thread.

I haven’t  said anything about Bruce being useless. For me he is a good manage4 at the wrong time and place. There, that’s positive about him as a Manager ?

The point I was making was that when a guy has been here for over 50 games I’m amazed that for some his future depends on today and Monday.

I said I fully respect anybody that’s watched those games and wants  to keep him.

I said I also respect and agree with those who don’t.

But I don’t think either way two results should affect it.

You complain that people moan about Bruce in this thread but your desire to do so results in you using a Post that does no such thing. 

And your own Pist is effectively just complaint too.

Why not be happy to post your opinion and leave others to Post theirs without resorting to moaning about them doing so ?

Ive read comments from you before like this - yet the vast majority of Posts in this thread are just people giving their views in a normal way.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I don ‘t think it’s a problem because all managers and players talk incoherent nonsense just after a match and the footballing sky doesn’t fall in. It’s just showbiz and really, anyone who comes on here to analyse and pontificate on the sayings of their club’s manager immediately after a match in my view may need to check the life balance meter a little. :D

I see you are setting yourself as the arbiter of what we should and shouldn’t care about again.

And there you are analysing and dare I say pontificating on the sayings of the Clubs fans.

The irony of you saying people should check their life balance meter is obviously totally lost on you.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I have no problem with those people shouting “Bruce Out” from the rooftops, or having a sensible debate with them in the Steve Bruce thread... but it’s when they start questioning why I don’t want Bruce sacked yet, and what difference a few games will make, that I despair.

Some of us think that keeping Bruce could outweigh a new manager gamble, some of us can consider that the injuries to Terry and Kodjia have been a big factor in our downfall, others might think that we’re now only 7 points off 2nd, with our Top 6 rivals having a fairly tough January and us having a winnable run through February and March. We each have our own tolerances for what we deem to be acceptable. Some people have made their definitive opinion on what should happen to Bruce, which is fine. But what’s not fine is those people telling you that your opinion is wrong, or implying that the things that you’re suggesting ‘could happen’ never will happen.

Good points Rob and yes indeed smoke and fire while there is also a line to. :thumb:

You could definately divide this thread up into 3 sections with a healthy handful in each camp with ones own prefrences and outlooks on things albeit different.

While I don't condone certain things, the thread titled individual has not exactly helped matters himself either.

His comments have caused more unrest in an already disgruntled ants nest of a thread.

• Like 1

At the end of the day. From the minute we dropped into this league. The remit has been to get promoted.

The truth is we've been absolutely nowhere near the top two spots.

That's failure all round.

We've put all our eggs in a short term basket. That's what we'll stick with until the season finishes.

However in some sort of bat shit crazy blind faith, I just see Bruce stumbling over the line. 

23 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I have no problem with those people shouting “Bruce Out” from the rooftops, or having a sensible debate with them in the Steve Bruce thread... but it’s when they start questioning why I don’t want Bruce sacked yet, and what difference a few games will make, that I despair.

Some of us think that keeping Bruce could outweigh a new manager gamble, some of us can consider that the injuries to Terry and Kodjia have been a big factor in our downfall, others might think that we’re now only 7 points off 2nd, with our Top 6 rivals having a fairly tough January and us having a winnable run through February and March. We each have our own tolerances for what we deem to be acceptable. Some people have made their definitive opinion on what should happen to Bruce, which is fine. But what’s not fine is those people telling you that your opinion is wrong, or implying that the things that you’re suggesting ‘could happen’ never will happen.

What you're complaining about has happened to both sides of the fence regarding bruce

What worries me about Bruce is hearing him say how Elphick was only thrown into the starting line up for Boro as Whelan was ill, meaning Jedinak would’ve started at CB otherwise. It was the decision to start Jedinak at CB against Sheff Utd that cost us that game (in my opinion) as he was completely shambolic. I know Elphick has had his moments since joining us but we should absolutely be playing our players in their best positions. Tommy showed today that he can help us be solid at the back and, for me, is a far more suitable replacement for Terry than Mile.

Bruce continues to baffle me at times. 

Edited by roonst83
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, villan_007 said:

At the end of the day. From the minute we dropped into this league. The remit has been to get promoted.

The truth is we've been absolutely nowhere near the top two spots.

That's failure all round.

We've put all our eggs in a short term basket. That's what we'll stick with until the season finishes.

However in some sort of bat shit crazy blind faith, I just see Bruce stumbling over the line. 

'Absolutely nowhere near' - 7 points. 

.... Not much else to say. 

14 minutes ago, roonst83 said:

What worries me about Bruce is hearing him say how Elphick was only thrown into the starting line up for Boro as Whelan was ill, meaning Jedinak would’ve started at CB otherwise. It was the decision to start Jedinak at CB against Sheff Utd that cost us that game (in my opinion) as he was completely shambolic. I know Elphick has had his moments since joining us but we should absolutely be playing our players in their best positions. Tommy showed today that he can help us be solid at the back and, for me, is a far more suitable replacement for Terry than Mile.

Bruce continues to baffle me at times. 

That is **** incredible if true.

No issues at all with Jedi playing at the back, but I think Elphick deserves a bit more respect from Bruce. I can see why McCormack might have struggled, especially if he does have problems (whatever they may be) I cannot see Bruce being sympathetic. He probably thinks a ladies place is in the kitchen and Farage is a top bloke.

58 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s far from perfect, but for the first time in years we’re moving up the table, looking at the teams above us and deciding if they are catchable.

I suspect that if you or I got fortunate enough to have a 1:1 with Dr T after a couple of Stella’s he’d agree the performances were not what he hoped, but results wise it’s not a million miles off. Not far enough to risk rolling the dice.

Thats just my hunch, and we all knew this before he was even hired. It was never going to be free flowing exiciting attacking football. It was anticipated it would be a route back to the big time.

Villa are in a funny place, not tearing it up and looking like certs for promotion, but then not dead and buried for this season either.

I've seen this said by a few and I don't get it. With the drop in level and enormous sums spent on players in terms of transfer fees and wages, we shouldn't expect anything less, and even then what we're doing falls significantly short.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Good points Rob and yes indeed smoke and fire while there is also a line to. :thumb:

You could definately divide this thread up into 3 sections with a healthy handful in each camp with ones own prefrences and outlooks on things albeit different.

While I don't condone certain things, the thread titled individual has not exactly helped matters himself either.

His comments have caused more unrest in an already disgruntled ants nest of a thread.

You’re not wrong there. The last time he came out with these comments, I saw a (relatively) small amount of complaints and articles about it. This time round, I’ve seen many, many more complaints (rightly!) and also more fan articles about it. I have a feeling that last time Wyness/Xia might have had a quiet, and perhaps even understanding, word with him, whereas this time I think he’ll get a bit more stick from them. 

4 hours ago, villan501 said:

Considering the problems that we've had (without nine players) it's a very satisfying win.

"The response from the other night was vitally important. We lurch along, we played badly against Brentford second half and all of a sudden we're in crisis.

"We have to eradicate that as a club. We can't be just going along quite nicely and then we're in crisis. We've seen today this is a division which throws up results which leave people scratching their heads at. Let us get on with the job in hand."

These are from Bruce via bbc is Bruce telling us fans to shut up and let him get on with it hahaha he can do one he' useless today' result doesn't change anyone' opinion.

This could actually be a sly dig at Wyness and the club after 'hard questions have been asked'.

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's imbecilic. Jedinak has been atrocious at centre half more than once, Elphick has come in and done very well.

So we won in spite of him and he is giving it the billy big bollocks in his post match comments basically.

As for his mass hysteria comments, Tony and Wyness were concerned enough to address the unacceptable form.

I cannot wait until we are shot of him.

• Like 3

Â