Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I'd be a bit more forgiving if he were working to a strict budget, but the bloke signed the best players from a few teams in the division a year ago, and he's made them all look like clowns.

He;s a chequebook manager of the worst kind.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

How do you conclude that we have a very realistic chance of getting promoted when we cannot beat anyone in the top 6!

Any chances we have of getting promoted under Bruce are based on blind faith and belief alone. 

Top 6 at the half way point of the season in my view is realistic chance of going up. 

Like being 4th in the premier league at this stage, you’d probably say that side has a realistic chance of qualifying for the Champions League.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Top 6 at the half way point of the season in my view is realistic chance of going up. 

Like being 4th in the premier league at this stage, you’d probably say that side has a realistic chance of qualifying for the Champions League.

Context is everything. We are 6th but we won't be come the Brentford game and probably not after it. We are going the wrong way. We also can't beat the teams above us so there is very little hope we will do that in the playoffs. Especially how our players and the management team have responded to a bit of pressure.

Genuine question, is our expectations just too high for managers and players to cope with. We can't be that laughably shit the past few years. Villa just seem like a poison chalice, whether you're the manager or one of the players. How we manage to turn bright exciting players into the shower of shit that we see is just crazy.

It got me thinking about some of our ex players. Take Jonathan Hogg, how ordinary was he but put him in a different team and he excels.

Dunno what it is, if it's simple as getting rid of Bruce but there's just something inherently wrong with our club.

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Except, finishing 4th in the PL, you qualify for the CL.

Finishing 6th in the Championship, you have to beat 2 teams in the top 6 to go up. We've only beat 2 of the teams in the top 10 so far (8th and 10th), none of the teams in the top 6. We're shit against any of the top teams in this league.

Not beaten anytime above 8th... yet. 

1 minute ago, supermon said:

Genuine question, is our expectations just too high for managers and players to cope with.

Our expectations need to be automatic promotion.

Parachute payments are going to dwindle, and when that happens, we're no longer a temporarily embarrassed 'huge club', we're just another championship club. We're not Premier League ever presents anymore. Once that PL money runs out, I think we're ****, and this will just be our level.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Context is everything. We are 6th but we won't be come the Brentford game and probably not after it. We are going the wrong way. We also can't beat the teams above us so there is very little hope we will do that in the playoffs. Especially how our players and the management team have responded to a bit of pressure.

Sometimes teams have a poor run of games (still only lost 1 in 7 and 2 in 11)and then go back to winning ways. Not sometimes, always. Newcastle lost 9 last season. 

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Not beaten anytime above 8th... yet. 

We're half way through and have played every club in the league. 

Look, I'm not a doom monger enjoying this. It ruins my day every time Villa lose...But if we went in to the playoffs today, I wouldn't expect us to have a chance. Xia has a tough choice ahead of him, we either invest heavily in January and give Bruce everything he desires to get us out of this league, or we sack him and give someone else a go. Because otherwise, I think we're stuck here. Because, whoever you blame, between Bruce and this squad, it's not a combination heading to the Premier League.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

The team is there! The manager isn't.

We can still go up automatically if this clown is shown the door.

Bruce is the first manager who has actually got us moving up the table. Everyone one of the other 6 or 7 have steadily made us worse. I don’t have that much confidence that we are going to swap our manager for the better given the last 5 years or so.

Just now, supermon said:

Genuine question, is our expectations just too high for managers and players to cope with. We can't be that laughably shit the past few years. Villa just seem like a poison chalice, whether you're the manager or one of the players. How we manage to turn bright exciting players into the shower of shit that we see is just crazy.

It got me thinking about some of our ex players. Take Jonathan Hogg, how ordinary was he but put him in a different team and he excels.

Dunno what it is, if it's simple as getting rid of Bruce but there's just something inherently wrong with our club.

I'm not sure mate. I think its more than reasonable that the biggest club, with the biggest budget in the league should expect promotion. 

Benitez and Newcastle went up in a canter and so should we. Any manager that thinks that is unreasonable shouldn't be in manager. Every (non PL) manager is english football would crawl through sh#t to get the Villa gig. 

Just now, Genie said:

Sometimes teams have a poor run of games (still only lost 1 in 7 and 2 in 11)and then go back to winning ways. Not sometimes, always. Newcastle lost 9 last season. 

Yeah but they don't draw games like we do. Bruce at Villa has been good run, bad run, good run, bad run. Around this time last year we lost 7 out of 8 games. That could easily happen again as we haven't won in 4 and still have Brentford, Boro and Bristol to come. 3 tough tough games. 

Just now, Genie said:

Bruce is the first manager who has actually got us moving up the table. Everyone one of the other 6 or 7 have steadily made us worse. I don’t have that much confidence that we are going to swap our manager for the better given the last 5 years or so.

Bruce is only the 2nd manager in the Championship, and with the squad available (relative to our opposition) he should be doing better. 

Â