Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Just now, imavillan said:

As i have said previously i would have liked a change. That has not happened so yes, i will support him.

However i am intrigued as to why you think he will surprise us this season?

New open style of play?

He will sign players and actually play them?

He wont make substitutions in the 67th minute and play 4 forwards?

He will play some of the youngsters?

I, like all Villa supporters hope he succeeds, of course i do, but i cant see him surprising me with any of the above when he has not done anything different in all of his management career. 

Well, some of us think we'll finish mid-table or lower half. I think he'll surprise those people and we'll get at least a play-off place.

Saved me a few quid I suppose this decision as I will not renew to watch Bruceball I just can’t bring myself to pay to watch him anymore ..... love our club but also enough is enough for me..... Drops mike .....

Peace out villatalk it’s been a pleasure !  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

and those usual suspects will be very entitled to be.

And the 'usual suspects' will be bitching and moaning at other posters and looks like it has already started LOL

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

Just now, VillanousOne said:

and those usual suspects will be very entitled to be.

It’s up to them. I have no idea why some people bother supporting a club when their time is spent being so incredibly negative about a manager.

We finished 4th last season and had a playoff final at Wembley yet this was deemed a complete and utter failure and a sackable offence. 

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Agreed - but unfortunately (on here at least) it won’t happen. As soon as we hit a run of no winning in 3 games, the usual suspects will be out in force.

Usual suspects?

You may be happy with shit, 18th Century, defensive Bruce ball.. I mean hoof ball, but these so called "usual suspects" you mention have possibly got a tad p!ssed off with his inept capability of modern day football.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Well, some of us think we'll finish mid-table or lower half. I think he'll surprise those people and we'll get at least a play-off place.

or perhaps the surprise will be he'll still be the manager come November !!!!

Edited by imavillan

I think it was the sensible decision keeping Bruce when you take everything into consideration. It is less than two weeks until the season starts and we have had the upheaval of the changes above the manager and the likelihood that we won't be able to make too many changes to the squad. For now it points to going with some continuity in terms of the manager and coaches and it seems that may be the thinking from the new owners.

It will be interesting to see what targets Bruce has been given going forward and I can't imagine for a second he has been given a free pass this season.If we somehow do retain Chester, Grealish, Kodjia, Adomah and have the resources to bring in one or two additions then promotion should be the aim. Cardiff showed last season you don't need vast riches to get promotion.

I hope Bruce doesn't now do what he did at times last season and play down our chances and focus on any cost cutting. I want to hear him being ambitious, setting ambitious targets and that reflected in how we go into games. If not then his time could well, and should be, short lived. He has been given a chance and I hope he takes it.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

We finished 4th last season and had a playoff final at Wembley yet this was deemed a complete and utter failure and a sackable offence. 

You spin me right round baby right round like a record baby... round round round round...

Makes sense in the short term. Won't get the slack that he got from Xia though and I suspect he knows it.

Would have preferred a replacement but  with only 2 weeks to the season kick off it is to tight for a change. Doesn't mean that they cannot have the replacement ready to rock though

• Like 1

With little to no money to spend with little pre-season left it's the right choice.

He has improved each season result wise, some of the football played was top draw while other times it was dog dirt.

Youth is going to have to get a chance this season because we can't afford to buy premier players near the end of their careers.

If we had money to spend and a top manager was available then I would have been happy for a change, we don't and there wasn't so time to get behind the club.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So glad this isn't in the other football section tonight.

I'm gonna use you as an example when we start losing a few games and you're calling for his head.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It’s up to them. I have no idea why some people bother supporting a club when their time is spent being so incredibly negative about a manager.

we spent huge sums of money, money that nearly sent this club into administration, Bruce failed with the most expensively assembled squad and wages in the Championship.

that is fact, is he solely to blame, no, does he care about the club, yes, is he a nice bloke, yes.

I don't really care about the football we play as long as it gets results, but we didn't.

I appreciate what Bruce did in stabilising the squad and club in general, but I would have preferred we tried something different. Keeping him is playing it safe and maybe that is the right move right now until we have escaped FFP and the damage done by Xia has been undone.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

My reaction entirely. I’ve been feeling rather gloomy for the past week as the momentum for Henry has built up. It looked like these guys had an eye for the flashy gesture without much depth of analysis.

However, it all turned out to be bollocks and they have taken the only sensible option realistically available to them. Phew. 

Now, appoint a new top management structure, do some proper analysis of the club’s long term strategy and potential, ease Dr Charlatan out of the club and we will be ready to go places next season.

Reference the bolded bit, would you agree that we would need to replace Bruce with a different manager to take us forward under those circumstances? 

8 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Very predictable  post that I'm not at all surprised about. Clearly promotion was the goal and clearly that wasn't achieved, as a result it's more than reasonable to ask questions about whether Bruce is the right man for the job.

Bang on. Same manager, weaker squad. What the hell are people expecting to happen? 

• Like 1

Â