Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

11 minutes ago, hippo said:

Whats the timescale for today then ? - when would expect to hear something ?

My feeling is if we get to 2.30 - 3.00pm than that would point towards Brucie staying.

11.59 now - Anything could happen in the next half hour as they used to stay on Stingray !

i would suggest that the longer it goes with no news that it will be than likely he will stay.

As @villan-scott mentioned in a previous post, if he's in the dugout at tonights game that will tell us something.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Did she not get invited in to the canteen?

My understanding is ....He spent £23.5 million in Jan 2017......then he spent £2.5 mill in the summer of 2017....He also recovered £18 mill in player sales.

That was a net spend of £8 mill when I went to school.

Where do all these fantasy figures come from?

Bruce spending - £23m

Hogan - £10m
Bree - £3m
Hourihane - £2m
Lansbury - £3.5m
Thor - £2m
Whelan - £1.5m
Elmo - £1m

Sales - £21.35m

Gestede - £6m
Ayew - £5m
Westwood - £5m
Baker - £4m
Bacuna - £1.35m

Veretout, Gil and Sanchez deals were set up by RDM so Bruce didn't bring those fees in. You can add Amavi's £8m fee and Gollini's £3m fee to this years coffers as Bruce did set those deals up. You also have c£10m of loan fees paid by Bruce for for Snodgrass, Terry, Onomah, Grabban, Johnstone etc. All in all he has spent very little. However, the wages have been astronomical and her point was Bruce justified these wages by talking about the mentality and experience needed. 

• Like 2

Just now, DrUnKeNbUm said:

I agree, a different approach is needed. 

I just feel we have the basis of a decent squad now compared to the utter dross we have had over the last few years. A couple of shrewd additions would be enough and I feel a promotion challenge would be a reasonable expectation. 

If we can retain the squad we have now and add a few shrewd signings I'd agree.

Problem is even with new rich owners we might have to get rid of some of the ones we want to keep.

But Bruce just has to go no matter what, he just has to.

We need a coaching set up who can develop players, create a way of playing that doesn't rely on individuals but rather on tactics, patterns and attention to details.

Bruce will keep us ticking along doing a competent job but ultimately nothing more. I don't think he has it in him to change or evolve.

The club needs to move in a different direction, even if it means uncertainty and a bumpy road.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Can we hit 2000 pages before he is gone?

Smash that like button guys, share, subscribe, comment down below.

with posts like this 2k pages will be a piece of piss :crylaugh:

Edited by blandy
spurious content removed
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

They are going to offer him a move to Director of Football. 

If that's the case I'd rather have him as manager.

A manager with no real experience as manager and a DOF with no experience as DOF?

Might as well add Gabby and Micah as head of the physio team and Stevie Wonder as head of scouting.

Bruce would be spectacularly ill suited for the DOF role.

15 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Bruce spending - £23m

Hogan - £10m
Bree - £3m
Hourihane - £2m
Lansbury - £3.5m
Thor - £2m
Whelan - £1.5m
Elmo - £1m

Sales - £21.35m

Gestede - £6m
Ayew - £5m
Westwood - £5m
Baker - £4m
Bacuna - £1.35m

Veretout, Gil and Sanchez deals were set up by RDM so Bruce didn't bring those fees in. You can add Amavi's £8m fee and Gollini's £3m fee to this years coffers as Bruce did set those deals up. You also have c£10m of loan fees paid by Bruce for for Snodgrass, Terry, Onomah, Grabban, Johnstone etc. All in all he has spent very little. However, the wages have been astronomical and her point was Bruce justified these wages by talking about the mentality and experience needed. 

That is a ridiculously loaded set of data.....You cannot seriously expect me to take that in.....Its irrespective, who bought the players we sold....they were sold and the net spend is what should be appraised/discussed.

The wages are a different kettle of fish....yes I think they were over paid.....He set out to fix the mentality by signing experience, but then created a stamina problem (IMV), We laboured and looked leggy in many games....it was trade off that didn't work ,but nearly did.

so you finally admit, highlighted the truth.

It is inevitable that pro or anti renditions of Steve Bruce will max their argument out......it's probably somewhere in between where the truth lies.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

No logic in sacking him in my view

I don’t think the word sacking will be used if he does go. A statement will be issued saying the club are going in a different direction and the new owners want their own man in.

24 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Hogan - £10m
Bree - £3m
Hourihane - £2m
Lansbury - £3.5m
Thor - £2m
Whelan - £1.5m
Elmo - £1m

the fees and net spend arent the problem, look at last season who he played (% of starts)

hogan 41%

Bree 7%

Hourihane 87%

Lansbury 13%

Thor 24%

Whelan 65%

Elmo - 78%

Terry - 70%

Samba - 11%

Johnstone - 98%

Axel - 11%

Onomah 43%

taylor 59%

couple of injuries of course but still some of those are piss poor use of players he has bought, its not a case of amavi out neil taylor in look what a great job he's doing with net spend, its he got a shit left back in that he doesnt play and prefers a 33 year old RB over

Edited by villa4europe

I have heard it all now.

So a new manager, invites the press in the the club canteen for a press conference and the knives are out, because of it....and used in a case to discredit him.

How shallow can you get.

I would call that hospitality and a move to get a bunch of people on side, which can benefit the club as a whole.....Graham Taylor once said, you need the press with you.

Its an extension of the blokes amiable and relaxed persona.

come on guys, constructive criticism yes.....But that is scraping the barrel.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the fees and net spend arent the problem, look at last season who he played (% of games played, not starts)

hogan 46%

Bree 13%

Hourihane 39%

Lansbury 17%

Thor 54%

Whelan 71%

Elmo - 93%

Terry - 70%

Samba - 17%

Johnstone - 98%

Axel - 11%

Onomah 72%

taylor 43%

couple of injuries of course but still some of those are piss poor use of players he has bought, its not a case of amavi out neil taylor in look what a great job he's doing with net spend, its he got a shit left back in that he doesnt play and prefers a 33 year old RB over

I think you can set any kind of stats to promote your point.....the Hourihane Stat, put me in doubt of the validity.

There are a couple of things that resonate with me.

• 47% win ratio last season.....We need someone to exceed that.
  • just about every pundit, Journalist, football expert, call them what you will.....think its a bad idea, getting rid of Steve Bruce.

Don't get me wrong.....There are things I want to see change and I am hoping he will....He will have learnt something from last season.....First hand.

Edited by TRO

30 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Bruce spending - £23m

Hogan - £10m
Bree - £3m
Hourihane - £2m
Lansbury - £3.5m
Thor - £2m
Whelan - £1.5m
Elmo - £1m

Sales - £21.35m

Gestede - £6m
Ayew - £5m
Westwood - £5m
Baker - £4m
Bacuna - £1.35m

Can someone do this with salary commitments as well?  I think I understood that FFP counts those, too.   

1 minute ago, TRO said:

• 47% win ratio last season
  • just about every pundit, Journalist, football expert, call them what you will.....think its a bad idea, getting rid of Steve Bruce.

Should've been much higher with that squad. Imagine how many more games we'd have won if we attacked more often. People are overestimating our performances due to our results.

"Football experts", I'm alright thanks. Micky Gray, Jim White blah blah. These people he feeds stories to are not going to ever criticise him.

One of the things that pissed me off about Bruce last season was that he's apparently an experienced Championship manager who knows the league inside out.... well, why did he keep making the same mistakes failing to rotate an (ageing) first 11.

So many times we'd play Saturday & Tuesday and the first 11 would be the same for both games, and often we looked leggy in the midweek game. Bruce himself commented that he should have known better (I think against QPR) yet did the same thing again several times after.

Not a huge issue, but... you'd expect his experience would prevent him from making such rookie errors. 

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I think you can set any kind of stats to promote your point.

There are a couple of things that resonate with me.

• 47% win ratio last season

Don't get me wrong.....There are things I want to see change and I am hoping he will....He will have learnt something from last season.....First hand.

I am firmly in the 'we need a change camp' and for me that is change of manager.

I am sure he will have learnt something from last season and yes at first hand, but the big question is, is he capable of doing something about it and implementing a change? In playing style for example.

From what i have seen in the pre season friendlies (and despite the wins) the answer for me is a resounding no. 

Â