Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

13 minutes ago, thejoker said:

If Bruce ‘resigned’, we could save his payoff money from FFP and maybe Dr Tony could pay him off through one of his other companies possibly.

Is he not on a one year rolling contract ? Hence we wouldn’t have to worry about a pay off if it had not been renewed yet. 

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

Is he not on a one year rolling contract ? Hence we wouldn’t have to worry about a pay off if it had not been renewed yet. 

I think, correct me if I am wrong, but that contract means there is always a year remaining. We would have to pay him one year of his salary, I'd guess.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Dick said:

I think, correct me if I am wrong, but that contract means there is always a year remaining. We would have to pay him one year of his salary, I'd guess.

Yes, this is correct. 

We had a crack at throwing money & experience at it. Fell short.

If we need to rebuild with a younger inexperienced team then I'd like to see fresh ideas from the top. Short term pain for long term gain.

Question is: Which manager has the vision to build around?

21 minutes ago, Dick said:

You are right. But tone could be smart about it and say resign and ill give you a payoff with x amount on top so it doesn't work against the club.

• Like 1

Dr Tony returned to China last night. Fully expect an announcement today as surely a decision has been made yesterday. With the resignation rumours surfacing it’s beginning to look very possible that Bruce has gone. I’m sure we will know by the end of the day, tomorrow at the very latest. 

23 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

This is a tough one now in terms of what happens with Bruce. He was given enough resources to ensure we had enough to get promoted. Whether you think like I do that he assembled a good enough squad and didn't quite get enough out of them, or that he never actually assembled a good enough squad, either way he failed.

Now it is a case of whether that failure was big enough that he has to be sacked. Personally I don't think that failure alone is. We were two wins away from automatic and a whisker away from going up via the play offs.

The decision to retain him is not just about what happened this season though. It is about whether he is the man with reduced finances to reshape the squad. I don't think it is the major overhaul some people think. We'll lose Johnstone, Terry, Snodgrass, Onomah, Grabban and likely Hutton of those that played regularly this season. Kodjia and Green who missed most of the season will replace a couple of those and Bree will hopefully be ready for a full season. The likes of Murphy and O'Hare should hopefully be ready to be part of match day 18's week in week out so you are maybe looking at moving two or three more out and bringing four or five players in.

The thing that worries me with Bruce is that he may well down play our chances next season. Focus on the fact that three or four teams will have better finances than us. Set our bar to reach the play offs at best. That attitude for me isn't going to wash quite frankly. He would still be managing the biggest club in this division, still have better finances than most, far better than many, and still have the stature of the club to help attract players at this level and hopefully get the maximum out of all the players at the club by the very fact they play for such a big club. The positives of this club far out weigh the negatives and I want a manager to embrace, promote and feed off of those and set our ambitions as such.

The pro's of retaining Bruce are the continuity angle, the fact he knows the squad inside out, the fact he has got the vast experience and has shown he can get out of this division. The cons are that he failed this season, that I fear he will play on the fact we will have reduced finances, that his default position is to set up negatively and the suspicion that he may not be able to get the best out of our promising young players. He will also have pretty much no grace next season and a poor run and he will be under pressure.

The other unknown here of course is who would we replace him with.

Whatever we decide to do we need to decide quickly. If he is staying come out and confirm that with in the coming days and we get on with planning for next season. If not move him on and get someone else in and give them the maximum time possible. The season starts in under 10 weeks so there is no time for messing about.

Worth repeating. Best post of the last 20 pages. 

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Worth repeating. Best post of the last 20 pages. 

Agreed great post. On balance he stays for me, I think he's shown he can pick a player for cheap and has also built a career around getting PL managers to loan him players. I think he can get us competitive without spending much and at this point I'd take that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I said straight away id like him to move on but it got me thinking. 2-3 months into the season of a new appointment what if were just mid table somewhere thinking to ourselves "Well shit, at least Bruce would have had us up there". I don't like his football but i don't want the risk of us just being stuck in the championship for a decade either.

If we manage to keep the core of the team and sign the better loan players no reason we cannot win the league.  Grealish only played half a season and Kodija a few games.  Keep Bruce.

If we have to sell a few to balance the books and rely on bringing the youth players through then you need a new manager.

I think this team would have got top 2 without the injuries to key players and add in the fact the teams coming down are no great shakes and 2 of the best teams Wolves and Fulham went up there is nothing to fear.  

No reason we cannot sign Snoddy and Johnson.  Amavi money and the saving on Gabbys wages should cover the chunk of that.  Bree to replace Hutton.  Elphick to partner Chester saving Terrys wages. Kodija to replace Grabben.  OHare for Onomah.

It sounds easy it's probably not but if that did happen and we keep Jack you would want Bruce to manage.

12 hours ago, hippo said:

Do we promote our youth players, and try a completely different approach 

Bruce I am sure would go again bringing in older heads - I think he would be less comfortable relying too heavily on young guns - in which case Xia wyness may decide its time for a change.

Its easy to say promote a youngens and rely on them but I don't think they are anywhere near ready. Rhm came on against Bolton and looked as though he's never played before, Davis goalscoring record will not help us next season, ohare doesn't look ready just yet either. Sulliman failed in his loan because he is not there physically yet so he'd have no chance in this division. 

We have some great young talent there's no denying that but throw them all in to early and there careers will be over before they've even started. 

Bruce has failed, but it's a very fine line of failure. I'll say it again, but my worry is who do we replace him with. We ain't going to get no top manager to drop down a league, and anyone else is a gamble imo. Bruce would be the safer bet, because we know he does have it in him to get teams out of this league. With the money spent, and being the biggest club in the division comes along with that a lot of pressure. I'd be happy for him to go providing we have a good replacement. The reality is that I don't think there is a good replacement available. 

• Like 2

I guess he will have a dig at the fans if he goes. Wasn't accepted, fans on Villatalk briefed against him, page 800 on his thread cost us promotion. Will be nasty.

Edited by Dick
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Dick said:

I guess he will have a dig at the fans if he goes. Wasn't accepted, fans on Villatalk briefed against him, page 800 on his thread cost us promotion. Will be nasty.

Do you honestly believe what people say on VT has any bearing on anything? It’s all just opinions and none of ours dictate what happens at VP at all. What happened on pg800?

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Bruce has failed, but it's a very fine line of failure. I'll say it again, but my worry is who do we replace him with. We ain't going to get no top manager to drop down a league, and anyone else is a gamble imo. Bruce would be the safer bet, because we know he does have it in him to get teams out of this league. With the money spent, and being the biggest club in the division comes along with that a lot of pressure. I'd be happy for him to go providing we have a good replacement. The reality is that I don't think there is a good replacement available. 

Yea clubs like us and Wolves and Fulham are no way going to attract a good manager that gets his team to play good football and win promotion. Oh, wait a minute.........

• Like 3

Â