Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Otto Rehhagel would be proud, have to say it has been a pretty successful deployment of catenaccio so far. Performances at this stage pretty immaterial as long as the results come.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

Yes it wasnt pretty and my frustrations were as usual getting the better of me in the match thread.

But we were superbly organised and forced Boro to try and play against us, which is the antithesis of Pulis football and therefore they couldnt do it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

There's a big difference with the finances of Huddersfield and Aston Villa.

Anyway,  I thought promotion was all that mattered at the moment. ( smile )

So, let me get this right...

Give defensive-minded Steve Bruce money, he stays defensive-minded. 

Give even-more-defensive-minded David Wagner more money, he becomes Jurgen Klopp?

Let’s hope tonight didn’t hurt too much ( smile ). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

45 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Give even-more-defensive-minded David Wagner more money, he becomes Jurgen Klopp?

Unfair, Wagner looks like Klopp. 

Has he done enough to keep his job? It won't be an easy decision. If a squad can be assembled for the money we've got then it may not be sexy, but to go a completely different direction and we could be waiting a few years for play-offs again.

The expression of our fears, doubts, worries and anxieties surrounding promotion and our football have been levelled at Bruce. As you might expect.

I would like to say thank you to Steve Bruce for his efforts at this club and for keeping the promotion door open for an entire season.

Ultimately, whether you take the time to acknowledge it or not, he's been an asset to this club, this season.

Our club might just taste promotion success under his guidance.

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Boro offered nothing, we shut them down over two legs.

Can we deploy a plan to nullify Fulham as well?

I believe that plan will be 6' 3", Australian, and have a beard.

There will be more space infront of the backline and in behind the full backs against Fulham, and Bruce will exploit it. It’s not going to be total football, we’ll have to defend hard, but I’m 100% sure we’ll pick out the weaknesses of Fulham and attack it.  Just like we picked out Boro’s weakness of doing anything other than pass to Traore and load the box.

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

You can't compare the two managers, when it comes to finances. I don't think Wagner is defensive minded manager by nature, but he's a very Intelligent one, that's for sure. You don't spend as many years as he did at Dortmund, by  being defensive minded.

At times, whilst in the Championship with Huddersfield his team played some wonderful football, hence, the manager of the year title. As I said , he's not a foolish man and realised that he would have to adapt his style if is team was going to survive in the Premier, which to his credit they did.

But do I believe that if he came to us and was given the proper resources, he would have us playing consistently defensive football ? Not a chance. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, poitier said:

I'm not a Bruce fan, but I appreciate that he has done what needed to be done in terms of dressing room morale etc. 

No one disputes that, but the day will soon come when we'll need a manager who can get us playing in a way that excites. I don't think that's Bruce, because caution seems to be embedded in his DNA.

I just hope we're not too cautious at Wembley. We have to believe on the day. Let's hope Grealish has one of those special games, because, trust me, we have to be on the front foot from the go, and not give them a moment to settle.

• Like 3

I’ve no idea anymore what some people watch, or maybe what it is they are looking for.

Ive just rewatched the game and enjoyed how we played even more 2nd time than I did 1st time.

We defended superbly. We broke with skill and pace. We created some good chances, I saw good skills from Snodgrass, Adomah and obviously Grealish.

I felt from October 2016 to about October 2017 Bruce played a cautious game. So much so I’ve Posted on here many times about it.

But for the life of me I simply haven’t seen either negative, or dull, football, for 7 months now. 

Players like Jack, Snodgrass etc are clearly given licence and freedom to express themselves... yet adfitionally play key roles in the overall team structure.

Adfitionally, not only do I enjoy how we play going forward,  but the other parts of the game, the energy, the desire, the spirit, the fight, the defensive organisation, are terrific. Isn’t that all part of enjoying the way your team play ? 

Ah well. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I’ve no idea anymore what some people watch, or maybe what it is they are looking for.

Ive just rewatched the game and enjoyed how we played even more 2nd time than I did 1st time.

We defended superbly. We broke with skill and pace. We created some good chances, I saw good skills from Snodgrass, Adomah and obviously Grealish.

I felt from October 2016 to about October 2017 Bruce played a cautious game. So much so I’ve Posted on here many times about it.

But for the life of me I simply haven’t seen either negative, or dull, football, for 7 months now. 

Players like Jack, Snodgrass etc are clearly given licence and freedom to express themselves... yet adfitionally play key roles in the overall team structure.

Adfitionally, not only do I enjoy how we play going forward,  but the other parts of the game, the energy, the desire, the spirit, the fight, the defensive organisation, are terrific. Isn’t that all part of enjoying the way your team play ? 

Ah well. 

Ah well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

You can't compare the two managers, when it comes to finances. I don't think Wagner is defensive minded manager by nature, but he's a very Intelligent one, that's for sure. You don't spend as many years as he did at Dortmund, by  being defensive minded.

At times, whilst in the Championship with Huddersfield his team played some wonderful football, hence, the manager of the year title. As I said , he's not a foolish man and realised that he would have to adapt his style if is team was going to survive in the Premier, which to his credit they did.

But do I believe that if he came to us and was given the proper resources, he would have us playing consistently defensive football ? Not a chance. 

Paul Lambert says hi. ?

• Haha 2

Â