Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

14 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

"The players have let the supporters down - and they have also let themselves and the team down." 

Bruce's verdict. 

How about you **** grow a pair and take some responsibility yourself. 

What an absolute coward. 

I guess he maybe saying that in hope of a reaction but that's wrong approach IMO

I really hope we are looking for Bruce’s replacement already. I think everyone can see that Bruce isn’t our long term answer. I’d want him replaced whether we win the playoffs or not.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mrjc said:

I agree with your points around our weaknesses on the pitch. I suppose where I differ is in holding the manager accountable for this. I happen to think he’s been here long enough for these sort of issues to have been resolved (maybe that’s where we differ, which is fair enough). 

Not being consistent, being outfought, not having the right mix in the squad...these are all relevant points, but are points that it is for the manager to address. It is his squad (again today, I think 8 of the 11 and 12 of the 18 were brought in on Bruce’s watch), and therefore for me he is absolutely accountable and responsible for where we find ourselves. 

Yes, it’s progress from the dire state we were in, and I credit him for that. But for me, it’s not enough and will leave us in a very bad situation next season if we can’t get up through the playoffs.  Here’s hoping....

Good response.....and I can't keep defending him.....but there is no window open for any further additions.

as for right now we go with what he's got, its anyones call.....i find it hard to agree or disagree in selections, because i see little difference in effectiveness whoever is selected.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

I thought that quote was bad enough, but jesus wept.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/aston-villa-boss-steve-bruce-14503528

“The disappointing thing is we gave ourselves a wonderful chance through performances during the season and the last three of four games we have been found wanting.

“What that is down to, I don’t know.

“That’s the most disappointing thing.

No worries, mate. You're not in charge or anything.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

"The players have let the supporters down - and they have also let themselves and the team down." 

Bruce's verdict. 

What an absolute coward. 

He has claimed responsibility a few times this season after poor results.

But it's all bull. He doesn't know what's wrong. He can't manage or motivate this incredible squad.

Even in our good run of results, we weren't playing as title winners do. It was frequently individual moments from individual players winning us games, or scoring.

We are such a poorly managed team.

Bruce wasn't a bad choice when he came in, but he's never put any sort of stamp on the team. We still look like we've got no proper formation or style half the time. He will never get a job this good again. He's done.

Should have been sacked before the end of September. Grealish getting fit saved him.

If we can sludge our way to playoffs, I still think we could win a one-off final at Wembley, but I don't see us beating anyone across two legs.

• Like 1

As angry as I am at bruce I am happy he has slated the players in public today as they were complete and utter ahit and should not escape the critism either.

Pathetic and a total wimpy display. Where's the passion lads??

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

As angry as I am at bruce I am happy he has slated the players in public today as they were complete and utter ahit and should not escape the critism either.

Yes, our players definite do not show enough fight today. Most of them basically has passed their peak in their career to be honest & bar the younger ones . Its so clear to see all the older Terry, Adomah etc are running on empty. At their age there’s no way they can play 3 games in 9 days. why can’t Bruce understand that & freshen things up with Bree/Davis/ Green etc ??  I would rather see these young  ones given a go & lose, rather than the rubbish we witnessed today. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

If you have issues with the squad then surely the fault for that lies firmly at the managers door.

I have openly acknowledged he has turned a profit in his transfer dealings but lets not be under any illusions he has been given more than enough in terms of resources to assemble a squad capable of handling the rigours of a Championship season and excelling at this level. The fact he knows better than most what it takes to get out of this league should have meant assembling a squad with the ingredients to do so would have been the easiest part for him.

I actually think the squad he has assembled is good enough. It is certainly better than most in the league. It has a nice mix of experience (Chester, Hutton, Elmo, Snoddy, Terry, Taylor, Samba, Adomah, Jedinak, Whelan), youth (Grealish, Onomah, Green, Davis, RHM, O'Hare, Tuanzebe, Bree) skill ( Grealish, Adomah, Green, Snoddy, Kodjia), pace (Green, Hogan, Grabban, Kodjia, Davis, Adomah, RHM) leaders (Terry, Chester, Jedinak, Whelan) and guile (Grealish, Snoddy, Hourihane, O'Hare, Adomah).

The failings have been in not getting enough out of it. In not using the right players at the right time. In being too defensive at times. In throwing every forward on as your go to card when needing a goal. In not resting players and utilising the big squad he has and in not introducing the energy and enthusiasm of the young lads throughout the season.

I am pissed off as we have tossed away a great opportunity to finish second. The fact we didn't have the staying power and the where with all to do so is a failiure but all is not lost. We have to secure a play off place now. Then over three games produce our best. Trying to grasp at any positives here but in big games with big crowds and pressure and expectation, notably Blues and Wolves at home, we have produced. We have the level of performance in us to beat any side we are likely to face in the play offs and having failed in the marathon the manager will have to produce in the three game sprint. If he doesn't then there is no one to blame but him.

It will all come back to the managers door, that much is obvious.whatever the final analysis.

I did say in my earlier post, that its his, choices of player i have an issue with i think we lack a physical presence in key positions.....if thats the player or the manager, i am unsure.

I know certain players of the past, their drive determination, will, character, was down to them, not necessarily their manager.

I am not professing to know the answer.....but i can see a very flat dour team with no intensity or combative appetite for seeing the job through.

They should be winning every 50/50 ball.....securing second balls, winning aerial duels.

We are going for promotion for god sake, not running the season down.

whatever is causing us not to do that, i am not sure.

players or manager or both.

whatever it is.....it has to change.

i seen none of that passive stuff last night at The Cardiff game, i saw 2 teams going hammer and tongue to gain supremacy.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Have to say I agree with this. The complacency with which our players approached today’s match was staggering - unbelievable. I’ve no doubt Steve Bruce will pay the price for this late season fade out - football managers know only too well the penalty for failure, it is s constant feature of their careers.

The remarkable thing is that no such rule appears to apply to players. It was the guys out on the pitch who let us down today, not the manager. But there will be no sackings for them. They will sail on in their careers unpunished.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

It will all come back to the managers door, that much is obvious.whatever the final analysis.

I did say in my earlier post, that its his, choices of player i have an issue with i think we lack a physical presence in key positions.....if thats the player or the manager, i am unsure.

I know certain players of the past, their drive determination, will, character, was down to them, not necessarily their manager.

I am not professing to know the answer.....but i can see a very flat dour team with no intensity or combative appetite for seeing the job through.

They should be winning every 50/50 ball.....securing second balls, winning aerial duels.

We are going for promotion for god sake, not running the season down.

whatever is causing us not to do that, i am not sure.

players or manager or both.

whatever it is.....it has to change.

i seen none of that passive stuff last night at The Cardiff game, i saw 2 teams going hammer and tongue to gain supremacy.

I think the difference there is warnock demands 100 % effort from his players and if they don’t do it they are out whoever they are -with Bruce it’s become too often a lack of effort and passion from his team and they seem to keep their place regardless 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He has claimed responsibility a few times this season after poor results.

But it's all bull. He doesn't know what's wrong. He can't manage or motivate this incredible squad.

Even in our good run of results, we weren't playing as title winners do. It was frequently individual moments from individual players winning us games, or scoring.

We are such a poorly managed team.

Bruce wasn't a bad choice when he came in, but he's never put any sort of stamp on the team. We still look like we've got no proper formation or style half the time. He will never get a job this good again. He's done.

Should have been sacked before the end of September. Grealish getting fit saved him.

If we can sludge our way to playoffs, I still think we could win a one-off final at Wembley, but I don't see us beating anyone across two legs.

• I don't think he knows whats wrong, otherwise he would fix it.If it is a big centre forward we need, he can't magic one up, its too late....he will have to revisit Davis.
  • style, we have a style, whether its 4-1-4-1 or 4-3-3, we have a style, its just not producing the results we want.
  • you are right ..we have only shown flashes of convincing performances.
  • Grealish getting fit was a talent we was short of, so it was bound to be a filip.
  • We are a poorly managed team is basic roll out of a team that is playing like us....thing is its hard to disagree right now.

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

Have to say I agree with this. The complacency with which our players approached today’s match was staggering - unbelievable. I’ve no doubt Steve Bruce will pay the price for this late season fade out - football managers know only too well the penalty for failure, it is s constant feature of their careers.

The remarkable thing is that no such rule appears to apply to players. It was the guys out on the pitch who let us down today, not the manager. But there will be no sackings for them. They will sail on in their careers unpunished.

True but it’s always the way - far easier to sack a manager and hope another can do better than to get rid of most of a team , it could well be  new ,manager can get something out of the likes of hogan , lansbury etc 

‘For me now there is little doubt Bruce’s reign will end next month whatever happens in the play offs - i think  the board have seen he is not a premier league manager . 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I think the difference there is warnock demands 100 % effort from his players and if they don’t do it they are out whoever they are -with Bruce it’s become too often a lack of effort and passion from his team and they seem to keep their place regardless 

Do you know what Eastie....I agree with that.

I have had that thought for sometime has Steve mellowed in his old age.?...but hey it is just me speculating and agreeing with you.

maybe its too late now to get tough......but they all inc the manager need to find something.

Edited by TRO

7 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Once you start digging out players in public you are nearing the end. The only thing Bruce has going for him is he is apparently a good man manager.

Do you mean like Mourinho and Pogba?

maybe they will score 2 goals on Tuesday night.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Bruce's verdict. 

What an absolute coward. 

Good way to motivate your players Steve, by throwing them under the bus.... Prick

Â