Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

The worrying thing for me is how inept we are looking since the wolves game and I don't think he has the foggiest idea how to change things - I don't feel he has a cat in hells chance of outhinking Jankcovic over two legs or even a final - I think it's a case of hold on and just hope for Lady Luck to shine on us 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dave J said:

The worrying thing for me is how inept we are looking since the wolves game and I don't think he has the foggiest idea how to change things - I don't feel he has a cat in hells chance of outhinking Jankcovic over two legs or even a final - I think it's a case of hold on and just hope for Lady Luck to shine on us 

I agree he looks clueless as to what to do to change things .He is hoping that the skillfull players will put something together but teams have worked out how to stop the wide players ,I can't recall Snodgrass do anything in the final 3rd today as they doubled up on him.

No idea where Samba has gone but the 2 cbs need a rest .As I understand it Richards is not considered as Bruce can't reply on his fitness , yet Samba clearly is no better.Samba must be injured because he would be in the bench otherwise , so he could be thrown on as an emergency striker ..

43 minutes ago, TRO said:

Mark, you have to understand its just my opinion.

I have defended Steve Bruce as you say on many counts, but mainly because folk make bold or nebulous criticisms that are too general for criticism....I have never thought of him as a Pepe or Mauricio, but more of a safe pair of hands for the position we was in.

Maybe unike you I have issues with the squad.

I think we have some very capable players, but for this league in particular, but I think we have some types of players that we are missing.

I have an issue in the centre of midfield where despite some decent players we fail to dominate like Fulham and Wolves.....We have relied all season on our 2 wingers, who for me now are jaded and weary, both in their 30's.....I think Onomah who is built for this league has been a disappointment for Bruce, that he wasn't expecting.

We have 2 Centre Backs who are fine on their day but at the end of a grueling season look weary too, they both lack pace and tend to sit deep to avoid getting caught our for pace, this then has a knock on effect of leaving huge gaps between them and the midfield which allow space for the opposition to exploit.....for me Mark, they play like a pair of sweepers at times ( I understand that will not go down well with most fans).....I want to see the Laursens and the Mellbergs dominating in the air and pushing on and closing those gaps.....Technically John is superb, James gets caught in possession at times and looks a bit lightweight and cumbersome, not convinced for me.

I also think have an issue up front.

We have some decent players who have scored goals at this level, but we need someone who can lead the line and dominate aerial balls like Glen Murray or Chris Woods, players who can cause disruption in the box to capitalise on knock downs and take out their centre halves.

I could write more on this.

For me Mark, If i was criticising Steve Bruce, I would be more likely to go for the mix of his squad, too many samey players, too many lightweight players for this league, we are not a very big side and at times it shows.

I think it is quite disturbing of how many times we come second in aerial duels, all over the pitch, more than just losing ground it sends out the wrong message in the mental battle for supremacy.

I think we as a team are far too easily compromised, for sure, there have been the odd occasions like against Wolves and Bristol, but it now seems the exception as opposed to the rule.

Imo We are not consistent enough to go up Automatically and our form drops have taken us to lower levels than our opponents have managed to stoop.

I don't know whether Steve Bruce will be here next year, but for me, we need a few more players who are more attuned to the rigours of this league and are able to show an appetite for not allowing the opposition any quarter.

All in All not been convinced all season by mainly the points raised.....but enjoyed one or two great nights.

I have no more than hope for the rest of the season.....but will continue to support the team that includes the Manager until the season ends.

I don't think he will be here next season, but that is not say that i have been grateful for his turn around post RDM.

I agree with your points around our weaknesses on the pitch. I suppose where I differ is in holding the manager accountable for this. I happen to think he’s been here long enough for these sort of issues to have been resolved (maybe that’s where we differ, which is fair enough). 

Not being consistent, being outfought, not having the right mix in the squad...these are all relevant points, but are points that it is for the manager to address. It is his squad (again today, I think 8 of the 11 and 12 of the 18 were brought in on Bruce’s watch), and therefore for me he is absolutely accountable and responsible for where we find ourselves. 

Yes, it’s progress from the dire state we were in, and I credit him for that. But for me, it’s not enough and will leave us in a very bad situation next season if we can’t get up through the playoffs.  Here’s hoping....

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dave J said:

If he gets us set up right at the beginning, he is brilliant. But when he has to make changes he cannot adapt. 

29 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Wouldn’t worry about that as Fulham will finish 2nd in any case . 

1 minute ago, Dick said:

If he gets us set up right at the beginning, he is brilliant. But when he has to make changes he cannot adapt. 

Every modern managers will tweak / change during matches in response to opponents tactics. It’s a must, like s chess game. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Nabby said:

I agree he looks clueless as to what to do to change things .He is hoping that the skillfull players will put something together but teams have worked out how to stop the wide players ,I can't recall Snodgrass do anything in the final 3rd today as they doubled up on him.

No idea where Samba has gone but the 2 cbs need a rest .As I understand it Richards is not considered as Bruce can't reply on his fitness , yet Samba clearly is no better.Samba must be injured because he would be in the bench otherwise , so he could be thrown on as an emergency striker ..

Bruce said only Hutton is injured .

3 hours ago, Eastie said:

The likes of jokanovic should have been targeted 2 years ago - now with ffp biting hard why would he leave Fulham for a club having to  huge cuts .

rogers would not leave Celtic for villa in my opinion even if we went up . 

I dunno. Celtic have their ceiling which he has probably reached already.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

If you have issues with the squad then surely the fault for that lies firmly at the managers door.

I have openly acknowledged he has turned a profit in his transfer dealings but lets not be under any illusions he has been given more than enough in terms of resources to assemble a squad capable of handling the rigours of a Championship season and excelling at this level. The fact he knows better than most what it takes to get out of this league should have meant assembling a squad with the ingredients to do so would have been the easiest part for him.

I actually think the squad he has assembled is good enough. It is certainly better than most in the league. It has a nice mix of experience (Chester, Hutton, Elmo, Snoddy, Terry, Taylor, Samba, Adomah, Jedinak, Whelan), youth (Grealish, Onomah, Green, Davis, RHM, O'Hare, Tuanzebe, Bree) skill ( Grealish, Adomah, Green, Snoddy, Kodjia), pace (Green, Hogan, Grabban, Kodjia, Davis, Adomah, RHM) leaders (Terry, Chester, Jedinak, Whelan) and guile (Grealish, Snoddy, Hourihane, O'Hare, Adomah).

The failings have been in not getting enough out of it. In not using the right players at the right time. In being too defensive at times. In throwing every forward on as your go to card when needing a goal. In not resting players and utilising the big squad he has and in not introducing the energy and enthusiasm of the young lads throughout the season.

I am pissed off as we have tossed away a great opportunity to finish second. The fact we didn't have the staying power and the where with all to do so is a failiure but all is not lost. We have to secure a play off place now. Then over three games produce our best. Trying to grasp at any positives here but in big games with big crowds and pressure and expectation, notably Blues and Wolves at home, we have produced. We have the level of performance in us to beat any side we are likely to face in the play offs and having failed in the marathon the manager will have to produce in the three game sprint. If he doesn't then there is no one to blame but him.

Couldn't have put it better myself. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I dunno. Celtic have their ceiling which he has probably reached already.

More chance of mick McCarthy being here next season than Brendan  Rodgers .

wouldn't be surprised to see Bruce at the Albion .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I don’t understand the logic of “let’s not replace him now do it at the end of the season”. Get a better manager in to give us a chance in the playoffs as we can now all see & those of us who’ve called it all season know, we’re not going up with him in charge. 

So why persist with this drivel for 6 games, give someone a 5 game period to bed in and it’s 50/50 in the playoffs at the minute whoever comes 3rd out of Cardiff or Fulham will walk the playoffs. Bruce is a waste of effort now sack him 

Will also give them a head start on next season.

That being said, it's unrealistic.

No way will they remove him before playoffs.

As bad as I feel the situation is, it may be somewhat "cruel" and unfair to be honest.

He deserves the chance to scrape to promotion, or fail, then there will be NO excuses or need for them if he is released.

Only way he should go now is if Terry takes over to their end of the season. 

If we try to replace him now we're will end up with whichever chump is currently out of work. 

We need to be courting whoever it will be now and work on them to quit whatever they are doing at the end of the season and join us straight away. 

Let's all agree that he has to go at the end of the season, promotion or not. The problem we run in to is that the Albion will have a 2-week head start in talking to Dean Smith and will have offered him the job. So there's a real possibility that we won't get promotion through the playoffs, and we will miss out on one of the best managers in the championship. Oh dear.

• Like 1

"The players have let the supporters down - and they have also let themselves and the team down." 

Bruce's verdict. 

How about you **** grow a pair and take some responsibility yourself. 

What an absolute coward. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

"The players have let the supporters down - and they have also let themselves and the team down." 

Bruce's verdict. 

How about you **** grow a pair and take some responsibility yourself. 

What an absolute coward. 

Who picks these players , coaches these players and should be making sure they are motivated on matchdays ? Look in the mirror Brucey! 

• Like 1

Â