Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think it depends what "good enough" is.  I think he'd be "good enough" to keep us up, yes, but perhaps limited beyond that - although we've never seen him with much spent on a team.

I don't enjoy his style of football and would rather watch something attractive, but, IF we go up, I think he deserves a shot.

So why would you waste the money then? lol

Wouldn't it make more sense to just have a manager who can take us through the full spectrum of building and pushing on then?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think it depends what "good enough" is.  I think he'd be "good enough" to keep us up, yes, but perhaps limited beyond that - although we've never seen him with much spent on a team.

I don't enjoy his style of football and would rather watch something attractive, but, IF we go up, I think he deserves a shot.

But then doesn't that mean all the players that got us promoted deserve a shot to? Even if its clear they are not good enough for that level.

• Like 3

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

But then doesn't that mean all the players that got us promoted deserve a shot to? Even if its clear they are not good enough for that level.

How is it clear that they aren't good enough for that level without them having played there?

I imagine that, yes, they deserve a shot but, naturally, we'd be spending money to attract better talent.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

How is it clear that they aren't good enough for that level without them having played there?

I imagine that, yes, they deserve a shot but, naturally, we'd be spending money to attract better talent.

True but most of them look average in the Championship. Never mind the Premier League! 

I think we should also spend money to attract a better manager. 

I think he'll be sacked even if he gets us promoted. 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

True but most of them look average in the Championship. Never mind the Premier League! 

I think we should also spend money to attract a better manager. 

I wouldn't mind if he was, personally.  There are certainly much better managers out there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave J said:

Look football is all about opinions is it not? Am I right to assume you think otherwise?  For me  Sparky has not done a bad job at Stoke in the grand scheme of things - yes he can be moody  and churlish at times in press conferences but you don't need to look far for the reasons he presents this way- but in all fairness he has given Stoke a different brand since he replaced Tony Pulis - they have recruited some reasonable ball players during this period and have generally done as well as could be expected in my honest opinion.

For me Sparky operating at his maximum capacity week in week out is a mid table prem manager - For me Bruce is not and neither is the football he produces.

i would add that neither Bruce or Hughes play any part in a vision that I want for Aston Villa - Hughes for me is no more than a short term stop gap manager to haul us over the line and review in the summer with maybe a 12 month deal ???

i doubt very much he would accept the job on these terms anyway so it's all pointless speculation 

It's a pretty basic question, you don't need to get so defensive as I'm not attacking you - just asking why you think that to be the case. 

For me, Hughes is the very definition of unremarkable. In 14 years, he's won precisely nothing in the game and I don't think his teams play particularly good football either. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

Come on TRO - you are better than that dig. You know why the people who want Bruce out want him out (you have hopped in an out of that camp many times). 

It is nothing to do with disliking him, or wanting him out for the sake of wanting him out. It is that we are not meeting our targets (as confirmed by the doc) and we dont think that he will get us promoted. No-one who wants Bruce out will be disappointed if we get promoted. It is ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

ok, I accept your reasoning.....it was only a bit of banter.

I do know why you want him out......and until he is, both sides will not be proved right......I just think its more risk than reward.....depending who is likely to come in.

I do think this.....If he fails to get promotion, whether it is directly his fault or not I think he will go.....and I think he knows this.

I do detect a tad of frustration behind the veil of Dr Tone and I think despite his protocol.....you will see a different side to him if we fail to go up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

So the guy who hasn't been able to get the best out of Xherdan Shaqiri, Bojan and others will come and get the best out of Connor Hourihane and Jack Grealish right?

Just like the current incumbent? - let it slide this ain't happening anyway 

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

It's a pretty basic question, you don't need to get so defensive as I'm not attacking you - just asking why you think that to be the case. 

For me, Hughes is the very definition of unremarkable. In 14 years, he's won precisely nothing in the game and I don't think his teams play particularly good football either. 

Sorry I didn't mean to become defensive-  as someone else pointed out earlier - his average finish is 10th in the prem, that's not so terrible is it? 

As I also said earlier he does not figure in my vision of a future villa - but I honestly believe he would nudge us over the line this year - as for Bruce well it's up in the air for me.

sorry again - I did not mean to come over as defensive 

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Id say he had a decent amount to spend at Sunderland. 

Do you honestly think he is a good enough manager to manage us in the top flight?

Good gosh no way - this guy is living the dream by managing us right now - in the prem can you imagine his tactics 1-9-1

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This should happen but it won't. If he gets us up he'll be our manager until he fails in the premier league and we have to sack him.

9 hours ago, Dave J said:

Sorry I didn't mean to become defensive-  as someone else pointed out earlier - his average finish is 10th in the prem, that's not so terrible is it? 

As I also said earlier he does not figure in my vision of a future villa - but I honestly believe he would nudge us over the line this year - as for Bruce well it's up in the air for me.

sorry again - I did not mean to come over as defensive 

Don't worry - it's understandable given the way the internet can be sometimes, I'm mostly just here for the discussion/debate though, nothing personal. 

Back to Hughes though, for me it's a case of horses for courses. In his last 3 jobs his best win percentage was 35.5%, worst was 23.5%. He's not used to winning games regularly and he has no record in this division. I can't see how he'd be a better option than Bruce and I think we'd be less likely to go up with him in charge.  

All in all, changing for the sake of it would be a very bad move IMO - I think that the job profile here requires exactly the right person and the margin for error is so small that not many could come in and do a great job. 

14 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Id say he had a decent amount to spend at Sunderland. 

Do you honestly think he is a good enough manager to manage us in the top flight?

Long term? no. I don't think anyone wants bruce here long term.

But good enough to keep us up for a season? Yeah I think he probably is.

We'd better hope he is because I'm almost positive he'll get a shot at it if he takes us up.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why is everybody so sure of this? 

How many managers get sacked after getting their team promoted? The only example I can think of is when one particular Hull City manager resigned when he realised there would be no money to spend in the summer and fell out with the ownership.

Â