Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I understand the frustration of those that want him out, and can understand the viewpoints being put forward (although I don't entirely agree), but does anyone honestly think that he'll not be here for the start of next season? 

Don't pin any hopes on him being sacked as it's just not going to happen this side of the 17/18 season. 

18 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

@striker i agree! The backroom staff and manager need to take the majority of the blame to be honest. 

If Rodgers was here the style and effectiveness of our play would surpass everything that we have seen this season.

Rodgers is a good coach/manager but he would have struggled trying to implement his ideas with this group of players (just as Remi & RDM did). I still back Bruce to improve us and lay the foundations for the next manager to push us on (style & tactical wise). I just hope we can finish this season with a victory over Brighton.

19 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

No one has said this have they?

The rest of it is probably what 100% of managers would've needed coming into the shit that was avfc the same time Bruce did. 

Fwiw, I've fallen off the fence onto Bruce out territory so I'm with you, but this post is just ridiculous. I guess tongue in cheek at parts but ridiculously over the top none the less.

You saved me writing this. I'm still in the Bruce stays camp but I had never said most of the twaddle written in that rant. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz

1 hour ago, Reivax_Villa said:

@Morley_crosses_to_Withe

Yeah we won't sack him. This is why I think Steve Round should scour Europe for some long term coaches that can create a footballing philosophy here. 

There's definitely some changes needed at bodymoor, I'm not convinced changing the manager is the answer. We appear to have been unable to coach a side to pass the ball to each other, to MOVE AROUND into space in an organised way that not only gives the player on the ball an option but moves the opposition's players to tease them out of position etc. 

You know, play football together as a team essentially. This has been lacking since MON in any consistent way, and even then it was one dimensional counter attack but at least there was a plan A. 

All season long, regardless of manager bar 45 mins here and there we have been atrocious, last year we were atrocious, for a few years before that barring some gutsy counter attacking performances we have been shit as ****. It is Bruce's job to sort that out, so far he hasn't, I really think we need to appoint some coaches at all levels that can implement the same style at all levels. If we are talking about long term stability then lets go the whole hog, have a long term vision and implement a long term plan. I'm not totally against Bruce staying while that goes on either, I think he could do with the help by the look of it. 

The worrying thing is we have changed players, coaches and managers pretty consistently over the last 5 or 6 years and the end result on the pitch is invariably horrendous.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, romavillan said:

We appear to have been unable to coach a side to pass the ball to each other, to MOVE AROUND into space in an organised way that not only gives the player on the ball an option but moves the opposition's players to tease them out of position etc.  

Movement off the ball to create space, openings & channels for other players is one of the most basic "things" in football.

Even my school team did this

• Like 3

Playing devil's advocate- but would we have done any better if we made no signings in or out in January? Hand on heart who has improved the side- Taylor perhaps?

Is Bruce better working with limited players? Does he know how to manage players with technical ability? Why continue to play hoof ball since February when we sold our only target man and replaced him with a 5 foot odd munchkin? None of it makes any sense.  

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Playing devil's advocate- but would we have done any better if we made no signings in or out in January? Hand on heart who has improved the side- Taylor perhaps?

Is Bruce better working with limited players? Does he know how to manage players with technical ability? Why continue to play hoof ball since February when we sold our only target man and replaced him with a 5 foot odd munchkin? None of it makes any sense.  

Well we had to get rid of Gollini if the "Italo-coach" rumour is true.

Getting rid of Westwood was a masterstroke, McC out too (but I'm begining to wonder how much Bruce provoked all this) Gestede was just shit.

So we needed numbers anway regardless of quality being instant.

It all boils down to Bruce getting it all horribly wrong from Gaby, SJ, McC and away v Norwich onwards.

15 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I see Huddersfield lost to the scum but its OK, cos their manager isn't Steve Bruce. Their manager is the progressive type who is guaranteed to be better than Bruce. 

How does that have any bearing on Bruce?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eastie said:

Get mike phelan in as coach - he has worked well with Bruce and with United and is a more attack minded coach - calderwood had never worked with Bruce and takes the coaching - it hasn't worked - both too negative as defenders - if Bruce stays then his coaching staff needs  to be changed with more attack minded coaching coming in ..

How did Calderwoods previous team do? Or is that down to the manager and not the coach..............

19 hours ago, thabucks said:

Why does he need a full season, a summer ? He has shown nothing so far to prove he deserves any of that, he's had time enough time to imprint his personality on this team and look how we are playing. Do you honestly believe a summers pre season will make one iota of difference in the way he approaches games? 

He has signed his own players yet does not play to any of their respective strengths. Barring Taylor who is a limited footballer he has not got a performance out of Lansbury, Hourihane or Hogan. He signed Johnstone who might turn into a class keeper but who cost us through his mistakes a shot at the play offs and was the wrong keeper at the wrong time. 

He hasn't got a clue and is out of his depth. Football moves on and he hasn't. 

He is a football relic, a has been of a bygone era. People can point out that Wagner struggled last season but it isn't a fair comparison at all. New manager to a new league, Bruce is supposedly the championship master. 

We should be building a footballing philosophy an identity. The villa way.

We are missing a huge opportunity to properly rebuild the club sticking with him. Stability is just a buzz word when it comes to sticking with him, something to hide behind and should never be used to defend or make excuses for him. 

Just my opinion which is as relevant as yours and others that support sticking with him. Just I know I'm right ;) lol 

Did you read his comments reported in the "People"..... it does not represent a manager that is anywhere near happy and goes on to talk about another clearout.

You could end up being right.....I suspect you are premature in you assessment.I want to see who he brings in this summer.

I would agree with any view , that this team in its present form is not going up.

I think, what we did in Jan, just saved us from relegation.

19 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

He is a nice fella, a 'proper' football man and he seems to always explain the problem  areas clearly without the usual BS after the match when we lose. He also has experience in this division with 4 promotions with far smaller clubs and playing budgets. He has to a certain extent brought stability to the club after  huge turnover of managers and players. 

However the football is appalling, he has not improved the style or shape of the team since he has been here and our entire good run has been based on a decent striker on form with a solid back four. We play with not style at all even with our massive transfer dealings in January which on paper at least should have massively improved the side. He also has previous with randomly buying players in the hope of finding a team, so I don't think there is much of a master plan if anything I guess that is under Steve Round's remit. 

If we sack him would we been seen as knee jerk? Should we keep faith with him? Next season is so vital we badly need to make the right choice. Stick or twist? I don't know. 

There is no question.....The football is woeful, he has admitted as much himself.

He has indicated another clearout after what he seen yesterday and on the back of recent performances.

I agree it cannot go on unabated and some close analysis by the club needs to be made.

• Like 1

The time to sack a manager is at the end of the season, the time to appoint a manager is in the summer. If Bruce is here in August then succeed or fail he has to have the whole season.

I would prefer a clean break after next weekend but appreciate that's not happening.

• Like 1

Â