Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I fear it's a case of the emperor has no clothes and the thought of Steve Bruce with no clothes is enough to ruin many Sunday meals - maybe as manager he should  question why he is unable to get some very good players at this level playing at anywhere near their best - maybe he should question why the performances are so shit by taking a good look In the mirror - patience is wearing thin Steve - the buck stops wth youso sort it - NOW!!!!

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Other than his past history, what have you seen that gives you such confidence?

Well I don't see why past history should be discounted.

I've seen some good performances and I've seen some garbage performances. What reassures me is that Bruce appears to recognise the garbage performances when they're there and what's wrong with them. 

It's concerning that's he's not been able to correct them yet, but with the quality we've got, some additions in the summer, a quality manager at this level and the pre season to put it all together, I'm confident we'll be a much better team next season.

Things take time. I think things SHOULD be better now than they are. But that doesn't mean things won't improve. 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, terrytini said:

Yes I'm surprised people think Bruce cant do this - its simple. 

And it isn't the problem.  The problem is he sees no need for it.

When people like TRO say 'he sees what we see, ' yes he does - but what he is seeing is players playing poorly in his style and as he has set them up - he doesn't appear to have even considered for one moment that it is that set up and style that is the problem.

Well he is reported as saying in one paper......as well as the players, he will be looking at himself....so a bit of self analysis, that maybe you was looking for.

I at least admire his transparency and honesty, if little else.

I think he is the sort to walk away, if he thinks he can't do it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I fear it's a case of the emperor has no clothes and the thought of Steve Bruce with no clothes is enough to ruin many Sunday meals - maybe as manager he should  question why he is unable to get some very good players at this level playing at anywhere near their best - maybe he should question why the performances are so shit by taking a good look In the mirror - patience is wearing thin Steve - the buck stops wth youso sort it - NOW!!!!

I think you will find he has said just that in the "sun"

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well I don't see why past history should be discounted.

I've seen some good performances and I've seen some garbage performances. What reassures me is that Bruce appears to recognise the garbage performances when they're there and what's wrong with them. 

It's concerning that's he's not been able to correct them yet, but with the quality we've got, some additions in the summer, a quality manager at this level and the pre season to put it all together, I'm confident we'll be a much better team next season.

Things take time. I think things SHOULD be better now than they are. But that doesn't mean things won't improve. 

I'm not discounting past performance, in fact since none of us can see into the future you could say it's all we've got to go on. However I think his performance as Aston Villa manager, which is his most recent past, just hasn't given me any confidence he can suddenly turn it around. Just out of interest Stevo, and I'm not trying to score points here, which were the good performances?

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Just wondering. What were the good performances? 

I also don't think past history should be discounted. But after 35 games if what he did at another club is the main reason to believe I find that incredibly worrying. 

Just as a matter of interest how many games / time do you think it takes any manager turn this lot around?

What, may i ask, was you expecting?

When did you think, nah, he's not the one?

nothing sinister, just interested.

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I also think the idea he inherited a complete mess is way over exaggerated. 

If you look back at those first few games, we played some really good stuff. Rotherham, Huddersfield and forest were all games that we dominated and played much better than anything Bruce has served up. 

Late goal against forest and keeper mistake/luck stopped those two being wins. Good second half against Wednesday ruined by a goal keeping error also. 

We were struggling to finish chances and conceded some late goals but we created chances on a level Bruce could only dream of. 

He inherited a strong championship squad with a weak cm and a dodgy keeper. He was able to rectify that in Jan and has made little impact. 

I really don't think he inherited the mess some would like you to believe he did. 

He inherited a strong championship squad......nah.

Past performances do not guarantee future returns. Times change, there comes a point that you can't just rely on the past as a barometer of the chances of future success. Just because he has done it before does not mean he can do it again. 

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Just as a matter of interest how many games / time do you think it takes any manager turn this lot around?

For me, there is no set number of games. 

I agreed that RDM should go when he did (10 games) as it just seemed obvious and I believe SB has stabilised us but can't take us forward and so needs to go at the end of this season.

I guess what I'm saying is you kinda just know.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think you will find he has said just that in the "sun"

Glad to hear it - I haven't read the sun in 20 years :) 

As you know I've defended Bruce until recently but the last month has seen me have huge doubts about him - yes he can sort it but it must be fast - we cannot afford another bad spell next season - he's used up his chances for me and now it's deliver results or go ! 

I hope he delivers but fear the writing is on the wall.

Edited by Eastie

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

This lot as in you really believe this squad is the 13-14th best in the league ? You really truly believe our squad is that bad. As in no other manager could get better performances from what we have and Bruce is our messiah.. poor Bruce being so badly let down by the players pretty much every single week. How can you not see the problem is the manager not the players? A better manager would of got more than Bruce has. All managers are a risk for sure and guaranteed promotion is never a given but Bruce has proven to me that he hasn't got a clue and isn't the way forward. 

• Like 4

When I watch Villa play, its the same sideways backwards football mixed with hoofball back to the opposition, that we continually adopt. The same style of play we came to know and love under Lambert, and under every manager after him. It is the same style that got us relegated.

In our last season in the PL, no team played like us. If we needed a hint how to play, that was easy. Just look at how mighty clubs like Watford, Swansea, Stoke, and almost every other team in the PL played against us, and how they beat us. Almost every game was like a training session for the other team.

This should be the absolute number one thing that has to be addressed.

It hasn't, and still isn't.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, thabucks said:

This lot as in you really believe this squad is the 13-14th best in the league ? You really truly believe our squad is that bad. As in no other manager could get better performances from what we have and Bruce is our messiah.. poor Bruce being so badly let down by the players pretty much every single week. How can you not see the problem is the manager not the players? A better manager would of got more than Bruce has. All managers are a risk for sure and guaranteed promotion is never a given but Bruce has proven to me that he hasn't got a clue and isn't the way forward. 

Is it necessary to resort to exaggerations like "Bruce the messiah" who has even closely alluded to that.

I am not happy at all with the standard of football on display.....But i am not going to speculate at this stage that all the problems lie with a manager that has been with us for 30 odd games on the back of such a demise.

If you think that is no grounds for mitigation fine.I may resign myself to your thinking eventually, but I think its too soon ,sorry.

I think one window is not enough to put this right.

However, the powers that be will see things a lot closer, they will make their mind up.

judging by some of his comments after yesterdays game, it seems many things will be looked at,even himself.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â