Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

Did you read his comments reported in the "People"..... it does not represent a manager that is anywhere near happy and goes on to talk about another clearout.

You could end up being right.....I suspect you are premature in you assessment.I want to see who he brings in this summer.

I would agree with any view , that this team in its present form is not going up.

I think, what we did in Jan, just saved us from relegation.

I think what we did in January made no difference at all as none of his signings, with the exception of Taylor, were used effectively and so didn't perform. Johnathan Kodjia saved us from relegation. 

Steve Bruce has made us a nonentity as far as attacking football is concerned. He has made us a nonentity as far as controlling the midfield is concerned. 

The only thing we can say that he has done since arriving is making us harder to beat. Under RDM we lost 3/11 games which is 27%. Under Bruce we have lost 13/34 games which is 38%. Woooops!

• Like 1

I can't help but think the reason why so many are still happy for him to continue might be that that he's a good talker. By coming out and saying what we want to hear doesn't mean he's capable.

His words about buying players and we being miles away from how he wants us to be does not dismiss the fact that after 6 months we look utterly woeful.  I'm sure most would agree we should at least be playing slightly better all round ??

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

I can't help but think the reason why so many are still happy for him to continue might be that that he's a good talker. By coming out and saying what we want to hear doesn't mean he's capable.

His words about buying players and we being miles away from how he wants us to be does not dismiss the fact that after 6 months we look utterly woeful.  I'm sure most would agree we should at least be playing slightly better all round ??

One of the reasons we are happy for him to continue, is because the mammoth job has only just started.....changing managers every 12 months is not conducive to a stable environment.

It could be that many are right, that it turns out, he is not up to it.....but any manager needs a reasonable time to rebuild a demise.

This is no ordinary repair job, but I equally agree, he hasn't got forever, to do it.

No one can dismiss the fact the football is such a low grade.....the burning question is, is it him or is it the players, now to some degree you can blame him for both, but if the players are not up to it, he has a chance to put it right in the summer.

However, he will be much more heavily scrutinised next season.

I hope for all our sakes its not a manager problem, because if it is, i can see this going on for such a long time.......It will be new owner again next.

perish the thought.

Did RDM have enough time?, Would he have done any better in all honesty. Would he have got more wins with a firing Kodja that Bruce has benefitted from. Would he have got more out of McCormack and Grealish. Would he have bought better in January.

Most people, me included, think that Steve Bruce will start next season as manager whether we like it or not. However I do believe that the board may make a change. Bruce was always assumed to be the board's first choice. However he was appointed about a week after RDM went, ok it was in an international break so there wasn't thought to be a rush. However I don't think the RDM sacking was a knee jerk reaction after the awful performance at PNE, so they must have been looking at options for a while before that. Which would suggest that perhaps SB wasn't their first choice, but they were unable mid season to get their man. Bruce then is the obvious choice. Managers are often appointed almost before the previous bloke is off the car park and so considering SB was supposed to be first choice and out of work a week does seem to be a relatively long time. 

Just me clutching at straws I guess.  

7 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Did RDM have enough time?, Would he have done any better in all honesty. Would he have got more wins with a firing Kodja that Bruce has benefitted from. Would he have got more out of McCormack and Grealish. Would he have bought better in January.

"No" in every instance!

In truth, we don't know and will never know.  What we do know is that RDM was truly awful.  Playing people out of position, a totally unbalanced set-up etc.  We were right to get rid of him and get some stability with SB.  We now need to stop this constant sacking the manager in the hope of instant success and recognise that building a team takes time and requires the whole set-up to gel (on the pitch and off it).  We aren't there yet and like most people I've been very disappointed with the buys and the performances but let's give it time and I'm sure it will come right.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

It's a good question. He cocked up with the midfield, but the style of play was much better. I wasn't disappointed when he was sacked, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. We'll never know now. 

5 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

He might have done, who knows......but in all honesty, 15 games wasn't enough time in reality.

when you don't win its hard to take the risk......He should have started on defence, not the other way around.....but hey, who am I to tell them.

SB was fortunate to have gained some credibility from October to December, but Jan/Feb was much like RDM results.

To be fair to any owner if  you continue to sack managers after 12 months and it is not working.....you could be forgiven for trying stability.

If we all knew who the right manager was, we would be millionaires.

• Like 1

But much like with RDM perhaps some people (myself included) have just concluded that he simply cannot do what we need him do. 

Yes, he has made us harder to beat.

Yes, it appears his signings were what we required.

Yes. We went on a unbeaten run.

But promotion next season? 

Not a chance IMO. 

I'd like to state again for the record ;I'm all for stability in the managers seat ( and felt the same when RDM was introduced). But, like with RDM I felt he had to go when he did and I really think we should get rid of Bruce and have although new manager in place for pre season.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Most people, me included, think that Steve Bruce will start next season as manager whether we like it or not. However I do believe that the board may make a change. Bruce was always assumed to be the board's first choice. However he was appointed about a week after RDM went, ok it was in an international break so there wasn't thought to be a rush. However I don't think the RDM sacking was a knee jerk reaction after the awful performance at PNE, so they must have been looking at options for a while before that. Which would suggest that perhaps SB wasn't their first choice, but they were unable mid season to get their man. Bruce then is the obvious choice. Managers are often appointed almost before the previous bloke is off the car park and so considering SB was supposed to be first choice and out of work a week does seem to be a relatively long time. 

Just me clutching at straws I guess.  

The thing is Dave there was a groundswell of opinion behind David Moyes....

;)

I mean, each man in the crowd could have a different nomination, thats how hit and miss it is.

I think Sunderland have a very similar dilemma to us, not that, that bothers me.

I didn't want RDM and was glad when he went as we all still had hopes however slim of gatecrashing the playoffs. I genuinely don't think that Bruce has done that much better. He did well uptown Christmas and it's been a bit key ever since. We have scrapped some wins mainly due to Kodja and the return of Jedinak, how Bruce can be the choice for stability when he wants a big clear out is one I admit I don't understand.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

The thing is Dave there was a groundswell of opinion behind David Moyes....

;)

I mean, each man in the crowd could have a different nomination, thats how hit and miss it is.

I think Sunderland have a very similar dilemma to us, not that, that bothers me.

I hope that groundswell didn't include board members! I agree there is an element of hit and miss with all appointments regardless of who you are and at what level you're playing. Unless of course you're Southampton!

11 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

I didn't want RDM and was glad when he went as we all still had hopes however slim of gatecrashing the playoffs. I genuinely don't think that Bruce has done that much better. He did well uptown Christmas and it's been a bit key ever since. We have scrapped some wins mainly due to Kodja and the return of Jedinak, how Bruce can be the choice for stability when he wants a big clear out is one I admit I don't understand.

Well the stability, i think is relating to the manager and backroom and some degree the players, but every club changes them, just the numbers vary.

Just being devils advocate.

Its funny how Bruce can coach Jedinak, Kodjia, Baker, Hutton,Taylor,Chester in to decent performace.....but allegedly can't coach the rest.

I am really not trying to be smart, but maybe he / they have just bought wrong.

My thoughts are not set in tablets of stone.....I just think there are too many unanswered questions and just sacking managers all the time, is bringing us no further forward.

ps I see somethings from our players, that i find hard to blame coaches for.

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I hope that groundswell didn't include board members! I agree there is an element of hit and miss with all appointments regardless of who you are and at what level you're playing. Unless of course you're Southampton!

Or Aston Villa during our halcyon days.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Movement off the ball to create space, openings & channels for other players is one of the most basic "things" in football.

Even my school team did this

Yes I'm surprised people think Bruce cant do this - its simple. 

And it isn't the problem.  The problem is he sees no need for it.

When people like TRO say 'he sees what we see, ' yes he does - but what he is seeing is players playing poorly in his style and as he has set them up - he doesn't appear to have even considered for one moment that it is that set up and style that is the problem.

• Like 4

Â