Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Yes, this.

I don't think the style of football will change next season either. It's possible the players will look after the ball a bit better, though I wouldn't bet on it. I mean if a team on a decent winning streak, full of confidence can't keep hold of the ruddy thing, then there's not much chance of it happening.

Another "thing" is we know Bruce is aware of the problem, because he keeps mentioning it....But nothing seems to change. Which isn't encouraging from a coaching point of view. There will be more pressure next season, not less.

The other aspects of his job, he's done very well. He's done enough for me to get time to go at it next season, and factor in the desperate need for some stability at the club and (as not a single person has mentioned it in this thread :P) his history includes multiple promotions, it's a sound plan to let him carry on.

I suspect Pete and its only a suspicion.....He is letting us all know about keeping the ball better, because if it doesn't improve he will do something about it in the transfer window.

now judging soley by his comments, it seems he is not expecting them to be not keeping the ball well, so it doesn't sound like its anything to do with his BMH work or in fact his coaching.

I would think it is a precursory comment to imply..... "I did tell you, now I've gone and got someone who will keep the ball better"

Observing the building job of Taylor & Saunders and the amount of players that come a went ........I would suspect many of our players will be evolved if Steve has C 3 years here.

I see the spectacle improving.....just like many things ....I don't know by when.

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Why do you think this? Genuine question.

As I showed earlier, he's already produced play off form (bar maybe a couple of points), that's despite the awful run we had in January.
So even if he is incapable of improving us further, then even his current record over a whole season would probably see us make the play offs.

So I'm curious as to why you see it as what he could produce "at best".

Very simple, I don't see a plan, no style, no bigger picture. The apparent lack of tactical awareness is still missing as it has been since he started.

I may be being totally unfair but the recent good run coincided with the return if Jedinak and Kodja hitting a rich vein of form, allied to a few injuries which meant he couldn't tinker with personnel as he had been doing.

Only time will tell if I am close with my opinion on him or I have done him a disservice.

9 hours ago, Godders said:

Reading some of the posts on here, I fear you may not be right.

I hope that's not the case though. There's something incredibly sad about hoping the team you support fail just to be able to post "see, I told you so" on an internet forum.

Show me one post that explicitly says that....

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

If you take his points per game since he arrived and you put that rate across the full season (i.e. if he'd been here since day one and performed to the same level), we'd be third.

He's doing a decent job results wise, the football's rubbish and the quality of our play brings into question the sustainability of our results - but he seems to be aware of that and he's put some good things into the squad, we're resolute, we're hard to beat and the group seems to have a good spirit to it. There are challenges for him undoubtedly, but that's the nature of things - I think he's made a good start in the six months he's been here.

Are you comparing our points per game over 46 games with the points from other teams who have only played 41?

Edited by mykeyb

8 minutes ago, philgetaway said:

Palace only 28% possession tonight.  I'd be fuming. 

Beating arsenal with only 28% possession. Pfffttt should be ashamed of themselves. Clearly arsenal playing good football are far more deserving of the points. I think palace have cheated. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

What a terrible brand of football. 

18 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Beating arsenal with only 28% possession. Pfffttt should be ashamed of themselves. Clearly arsenal playing good football are far more deserving of the points. I think palace have cheated. 

28% possession explains why they are in a relegation battle and despite the "disaster" at Arsenal they are top 6...

.....meanwhile we are a midtable Championship who have found our level under Bruce.

34 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Are you comparing our points per game over 46 games with the points from other teams who have only played 41?

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-would-steve-bruce-12869979

The former Wigan and Blues boss has overseen Villa collect 48 points from 30 matches, at 1.6 points per game.

Had he been in charge from day one, the claret and blues would be third only to runaway pair Newcastle and Brighton on 76 points.

Di Matteo offered 0.9, and for argument’s sake, had he continued in that vein, Villa would be sitting in the bottom three.

3 minutes ago, NottingVilla said:

28% possession explains why they are in a relegation battle and despite the "disaster" at Arsenal they are top 6...

.....meanwhile we are a midtable Championship who have found our level under Bruce.

Yeah cos Arsenal would be stoked they are 6th, absolutely ecstatic. Meanwhile CP are now 6 points clear of relegation, they have very little battling to do now. 

Sorry to pull apart your rhetoric ...... But just saying

I think we're in a catch 22 situation right now. We're winning a high percentage of games but the football is shit. 

Personally, I see the reason we're not at least in the play offs is because of the slump before Bruce joined and the period following Christmas when Kodjia was away and Jedinak was injured. I can live with the shit football as long as we go up but, my biggest concern isn't the style of football more what happens when Jedinak and/or Kodjia are missing again next season? If Bruce can eradicate those fears then I'd be more than happy to go another season of crappy, but winning, football.

Once we're in the Premier League we can bring a new manager in who can teach our new, Premier League quality, recruits how to play football. 

Edited by villarocker

5 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Yeah cos Arsenal would be stoked they are 6th, absolutely ecstatic. Meanwhile CP are now 6 points clear of relegation, they have very little battling to do now. 

Sorry to pull apart your rhetoric ...... But just saying

Yes, lets hope next season we have a season like Palace and not like Arsenal. :rolleyes:.

Knee-jerk extremism at its worst. 

29 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Unfortunately, the Bham mail seem to have come to that conclusion by calculating how many points 1.6 ppg would have gotten us in those first 11 games under RDM, which would be 17.6 and added them to our current total, but they forgot to discount RDM's points, meaning we would have had to get 28 points in those 11 games to get their total. Taking into account RDM's games would give us a total of 65.6 (41 x 1.6), just one win outside of the playoffs, which all considering, is still pretty good.

They did get the RDM bit right though bizarrely, we'd be on 37 points and probably 23rd.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla
  • Like 2

Ideally I would like good football and results

Realistically I would take results and crap football

If we play well and get no results, then you get frustrated 

If we are playing crap and getting no results, you get  unhappy

We are not playing great most of the time under Bruce, but if over a 46 game season he gets us promoted, he has done is job and I would be very satisfied with that.

We played some decent footy under RDM but won 1 game and went nowhere. 

6 hours ago, vreitti said:

Well, one thing is for certain, this shit ain't gonna be good enough come next season.  

Thats for sure

Personally I'm still expecting some improvement these remaining games.   

dont hold your breath

I wouldn't be against a new (better) manager in the summer, then again I honestly can't think of anyone, who'd be available, and willing.

There weee enough Managers in this division alone who got lesser players/squads to outfootball us.

So there IS without doubt a more expansive manager out there.

Â