Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Give me a manager that 100% guarantees us promotion...

Clearly if we could find a manger that would have guaranteed us promotion this season we would have taken him on. But the world doesn't work in that way and so we hired a manager who has previously been there, done it and has the experience to do it again.

You did read that part that said , " proof of the pudding ' .? Speaks for itself really .

19 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Same old ,same old.  As they say ,proof of the pudding will be in the eating .

"same old, same old" indeed.

As in, same old people countering your opinion with a well reasoned post only for you to totally dismiss it.

And you wonder why people get worked up about your posts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Don't twist my words , yes , I said we deserve a better brand of football,  but where did I say we should of got Rowett . What I said was Rowett would of got usome into the play - offs. Which would of at least compensated for the " dull football ". What have we got forelegated Bruce's turgid football ? Mid - table mediocrity, thats what . And that ,I'm afraid, is not good enough for me .

The thing is the manager agrees with you......so by that deduction, I would say he has plans to remedy it.

Now in a rebuild of the magnitude we have had.....It is reasonable to suspect, he has fixed a few problems and the one you mention is on his agenda.

so don't be too surprised in the future if this debate becomes an irritation that has disappeared.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Ask Wigan fans who they'd have back , Bruce or Martinez,? I guarantee it's Martinez every time .

good for him. I am also sure Everton fans would welcome Martinez back with open arms

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

@sheepyvillian given that we're both in separate discussions in this thread but basically talking about the same thing, can you have a read of my post above and give me your thoughts on it?

However you break it down ,its all conjecture. Like I said ,we'll see ,but I have my doubts. My main concern is the dreadful football we are being served with ,and if we're not winning, then it is even  more painful to endure .

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

"same old, same old" indeed.

As in, same old people countering your opinion with a well reasoned post only for you to totally dismiss it.

And you wonder why people get worked up about your posts.

Like with the Line of Duty post ? And I don't " wonder " ,on the contrary, I find that quite amusing tbh . You mean you get " worked up " speak for yourself , not other people .

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

This is the main bone of contention

People are argueing for what he hasnt done for us yet and showed very little evidence WITH US of achieving it.

Their problem is they dont see it.

Either through not wanting to or being blind to the fact that he ISNT DOING IT

I think many of us are factoring in a process of progression, (which takes any manager time) and are accepting the fact the football as a spectacle is not great, but the results are appealing in relation to our stage of development.

It is only an opinion GH and no one has a monopoly on that.....Including me and the anti -Bruce Brigade.

If as an example... if you look at the 1976/77 team it took Ron 2-3 seasons to produce that football and that was without the restrictions of Transfer Windows.

The demise we have suffered is not going to be fixed in total overnight.....some progress has been made, even though this season has been very much disruption.

Where our arguments differ ( I think) We are making allowances for progression, but you seem to want it ALL fixed in one go almost immediately.

You are not alone in what you are witnessing, but it will get much better..

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

Don't twist my words , yes , I said we deserve a better brand of football,  but where did I say we should of got Rowett . What I said was Rowett would of got usome into the play - offs. Which would of at least compensated for the " dull football ". What have we got forelegated Bruce's turgid football ? Mid - table mediocrity, thats what . And that ,I'm afraid, is not good enough for me .

No it isn't good enough but he wasn't here all season, we were the bottom three when arrived. 

So it's a bit of a hollow point.

As for "Rowett would have got us in the play offs" there is no certainty of that whatsoever.

• Like 2

This bickering is pointless.

Now that promotion is effectively out of sight, it's up to Bruce to deliver, something else than this turgid cowardball. I'm certain he'll show his worth in the remaining games, whatever that may be. 

Honestly, I'm rooting for him, because I simply can't bear another year discussing 'the manager'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

Where did I twist your words?  I asked if you've seen Rowett's sides play because they're equally dull.  Your post seemed to imply that Rowett and Smith would do a better job than Bruce and that we deserve a "better brand of football" - the implication is that they would bring this, otherwise you may as well have used examples of managers who you think would meet your point.

Finishing mid-table isn't good enough for anyone, but it's also not entirely down to Bruce.  Recent results suggest that next season will be a lot different.  I genuinely don't understand how you can argue otherwise.

I don't like the football we play under Bruce - I think we're boring to watch, if I'm honest - but he's doing a decent job.  I can't see anything that points to sacking him other than he didn't work a miracle and take us from 19th to top 6.  But then, if we're after miracle workers, I honestly don't know who we'd replace him with.

17 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don't like the football we play under Bruce - I think we're boring to watch, if I'm honest - but he's doing a decent job.  I can't see anything that points to sacking him other than he didn't work a miracle and take us from 19th to top 6.  But then, if we're after miracle workers, I honestly don't know who we'd replace him with.

Yes, this.

I don't think the style of football will change next season either. It's possible the players will look after the ball a bit better, though I wouldn't bet on it. I mean if a team on a decent winning streak, full of confidence can't keep hold of the ruddy thing, then there's not much chance of it happening.

Another "thing" is we know Bruce is aware of the problem, because he keeps mentioning it....But nothing seems to change. Which isn't encouraging from a coaching point of view. There will be more pressure next season, not less.

The other aspects of his job, he's done very well. He's done enough for me to get time to go at it next season, and factor in the desperate need for some stability at the club and (as not a single person has mentioned it in this thread :P) his history includes multiple promotions, it's a sound plan to let him carry on.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, bobzy said:

The settled squad issuearrow-10x10.png isn't an excuse - it's just fact.

Newcastle also made a load of changes in the summer, you're right.  They then promptly lost their first 2 matches in the league.  Of course, overall, they won 5 of their first 9 games so it didn't go as badly as it did for us but it still took them time to settle into their rhythm.  I don't think they made any changes in January (correct me if I'm wrong) so, again, just not the same as for us.

I don't understand where the "we were **** without Kodjia" comes from.  Let's assume it's true, though.  Man Utd are **** without Ibrahimovic?  Arsenal are **** without Sanchez?  Newcastle are **** without Shelvey?  Huddersfield are **** without Mooy?  All clubs have big players who they would struggle without.

Let's talk actual fact, right now.  Steve Bruce has won 7 of his last 9 league games in charge of Aston Villa.  Steve Bruce is currently unbeaten in 5 games as managerarrow-10x10.png of Aston Villa.  As things stand, Steve Bruce has a better win percentagearrow-10x10.png than any Aston Villa managerarrow-10x10.png since W. J. Smith between August 1926 and May 1934 (thank you Wikipedia).  That's over 80 years ago.  All factual information.

So, what's factually going against him?

Don't really want to join in with this discussion, but I have to point out that I believe it is unfair to other managers over the years to compare a record in the Championship with records in the top flight.

I doubt if Bruce will ever achieve the heights of those you compare him with. You have to remember where we now are - second tier.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

No it isn't good enough but he wasn't here all season, we were the bottom three when arrived. 

As for "Rowett would have got us in the play offs" there is no certainty of that whatsoever.

Rowett reputation really has exploded in 6 months especially on here before he was a Championship version of Sam Allardyce or Tony Pulis. Now I expect him to be next manager of Barcelona 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Don't really want to join in with this discussion, but I have to point out that I believe it is unfair to other managers over the years to compare a record in the Championship with records in the top flight.

I doubt if Bruce will ever achieve the heights of those you compare him with. You have to remember where we now are - second tier.

I'm only giving factual information - not saying he's the best manager we've ever had.  You need to give a good reason to sack someone.  That reason doesn't exist with Steve Bruce - that fact just highlights why.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It's not even "pretty much" though brah.

Season started early August, he joined mid-October, you may want to consider taking your GCSE in math again if you think that's 6 weeks you moron.

I'm sure the gcse's are in the summer aren't they? Perhaps we haven't got that far yet?

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

He was here long enough to do better than what he had done ,and with the money he's had to spend, and I'm pretty certain Rowett would of done a better job, just look how he's improved Derby. So it's not really that much of a " hollow point  ", is it? And what's your excuse for the dreadful football on offer? 

Â