Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I still think Bruce can get it right.

We've managed 44 shots in the last two games.  9 times out of 10 (well if it doesn't involve Villa) that yields six points.

He does need to get a grip of them and stop them collapsing every time we concede (which is every time we face a shot).  Oh and **** Johnstone off.

• Like 1

i refuse to believe that we will go down instead of teams like blackburn, rotherham, burton, bristol city, qpr, wigan...especially when we still have to play them this season. stick with bruce, i dont just think he will keep us up, i think we'll be top half.

Yesterday gave me some hope that we are heading in the right direction with our performances at least. 

We just need one win now to get some confidence into the team. After that, I think the performances will turn into results. 

Bruce is on a rolling contract, the season is a complete write-off. I think behind closed doors some like Round, Wyness or Xia needs to say to all the players and manager, he's here to stay, I'm not going to sack another manager mid-season, stick together and show everyone what you're made of. 

If it's largely the same results and we're keeping our heads above water in 20th come the end of the season, then it's time to start looking for a new man to get a full preseason under his belt.

I suspect things will pick up after February though, and hopefully he gives the fans enough confidence between now and may that he's the right bloke for the job to take us forward next season. 

Edited by skarroki

5 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

We're six points from the drop, with 1 point from a possible 21, two more weeks and we could be in the relegation places but hey let's not rush into anything until it's absolutely 'unsavable' 

Rotherham who are rock bottom have 3 more points in 2017 than we do , thats the depth of out far in the shit we are currently 

We are bottom of the form table on 1 point in 2017 ...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

He should go now but probably has until after the Newcastle game. 

If we were planning on sacking him if we don’t get a result at Newcastle then we may as well get rid now.

I personally don’t think his job is under that kind of immediate threat. He will certainly get the two home games post Newcastle. If after the Derby and Bristol games we haven’t secured a result then I think he will be in serious danger of losing his job. I am hopeful it won’t come to that.

19 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I still think Bruce can get it right.

We've managed 44 shots in the last two games.  9 times out of 10 (well if it doesn't involve Villa) that yields six points.

He does need to get a grip of them and stop them collapsing every time we concede (which is every time we face a shot).  Oh and **** Johnstone off.

Same as under RDM, lots of shot on goal, shit results.

37 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Xia has a difficult choice - sack Bruce and appoint the best available candidate now or sack Bruce, bring in a caretaker and find someone in the summer when more choice is available. Both sub-optimal choices but on balance I'd go for the latter (and hope to get Wagner if Huddersfield fail)

No he has a far more sensible option.  Leave Bruce in place and give him a reasonable amount of time to gel the team he has only just bought.  Whilst searching for his long term replacement quietly in the background.  No manager is going to affect our season much one way or the other now.  We're not going up we just need to avoid relegation.  

If Bruce shows signs of turning this around then great.  If not activate plan b

Edited by tezzaleed

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

RDM only lost 4 games - I said it at the time, but he was basically unlucky in a fair few of them (2-2 vs. Forest for example).

The shots thing is just what you get with Kodjia.  That Bristol City fan even said it on here - he's not a natural finisher, but he'll score goals because he'll take a lot of shots.  That's exactly what he does.

2 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

If we were planning on sacking him if we don’t get a result at Newcastle then we may as well get rid now.

I personally don’t think his job is under that kind of immediate threat. He will certainly get the two home games post Newcastle. If after the Derby and Bristol games we haven’t secured a result then I think he will be in serious danger of losing his job. I am hopeful it won’t come to that.

We are going to get humiliated vs Newcastle so he won't be sacked. But I think of this continuesfor home games I don't see how he could survive. That would be what 7-8 straight losses. No manager would be safe after that.

I do feel a bit sorry for bruce. The players have been pathetic and not bothered. It's been absolutely ridiculous how shit they have been.

I really want a an enquiry into see if there is any dodgey deals going on where players are taking back handers to lose games. It's not that bad. It's just so hard to believe these players are THIS bad

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

agreed. 

how many of those shots are actually clear cut or even half chances - not that many

45 shots or whatever in the last two games and we've forced the goalies into one meaningful save in that period

the majority of the rest have been speculative at best

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

That's it though now it has come down to hope! I was naively hoping for results vs Forest and certainly Ipswich and Barnsley to keep the play off hope alive, now the alarming run in 2017 means I'm hoping for a result in the next two home games to keep us away from the trap door. I think we need to make the change before this lot are completely broken, I genuinely can't see us getting the 14-15 points potentially required for safety right now.

7 minutes ago, tezzaleed said:

No he has a far more sensible option.  Leave Bruce in place and give him a reasonable amount of time to gel the team he has only just bought.  Whilst searching for his long term replacement quietly in the background.  No manager is going to affect our season much one way or the other now.  We're not going up we just need to avoid relegation.  

If Bruce shows signs of turning this around the great.  Of not actovate plan b

Firstly, I've no confidence at all that leaving Bruce in place will allow us to avoid relegation and secondly, I think Bruce has already had a 'reasonable' amount of time to show progress. So for me burying our heads in the sand and hoping for the best will lead to league 1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Didiersix said:

I know what you mean but then we haven't done very well over recent years allowing players to rob a wage without responsibility. 

From what I heard last night, he was willing to admit his mistakes - reckons he might have changed too much too soon etc.

He did change to much to soon. That's his fault. Elphick is rubbish and he brought him back and what happened. If ever there was a game to drop Johnstone it was this one but no. Bruce has made his own bed

26 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

We're six points from the drop, with 1 point from a possible 21, two more weeks and we could be in the relegation places but hey let's not rush into anything until it's absolutely 'unsavable' 

Well we're 7 points off the drop, so 3 weeks assuming that every team below us picks up the maximum amount of points available, which won't happen. So you're exaggerating somewhat.

But yes, I'd rather we wait until we're sure Bruce can't turn the ship around before we pull the trigger. It's looking likely that he won't be able to, but given it will cost us millions of pounds and yet more upheaval to get rid of him, I'd rather the club was sure before they sack him.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I do feel a bit sorry for bruce. The players have been pathetic and not bothered. It's been absolutely ridiculous how shit they have been.

I really want a an enquiry into see if there is any dodgey deals going on where players are taking back handers to lose games. It's not that bad. It's just so hard to believe these players are THIS bad

It hasn’t been down to a lack of effort during this poor run certainly not of the games I have been at. If we just look at the two most recent games it has been individual defensive errors that have done for us. Elphick slipping against Ipswich, Amavi giving away a stupid pen then three players fluffing a clearance for the third. Last night we had more possession and had three or four times as many shots as Barnsley. I do genuinely believe the players are trying and even at 3-1 down we really pushed and tried to get back into the game.

Throwing out lines like he has lost the dressing room sound good but they are baseless. I am not seeing a lack of effort, I am not seeing any descent in the ranks.

None of the above is to say his job shouldn’t be under threat. It should. It hasn’t gotten to the stage where I think those above him are looking to pull the trigger though.

Edited by markavfc40

Â