Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

25 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Lol Brighton have got better?! Brighton have been good all season and for the last 3 years or so, bar literally two goals last season they would've been in the premier league already. 

Yes they have got better - they are now top !

1 hour ago, philgetaway said:

Bruce does need to be held account to some of these performances – he can’t just apologise every time and brush it off.  I was at the game last night, I was also at Norwich and Cardiff and he needs to take some responsibility. Everyone makes mistakes but to far I would question:

Loaning out the 21 y/o GK – who we have invested £4.5m on, and bringing in a 23 y/o Man U loan player, without an option to buy.

Gardner – new 4 year deal?

Starting Gabby against Norwich – with McCormack and Gestede on the bench.

Letting Gestede leave the day of the Cardiff away fixture – when we had no strikers.

Playing a whole new midfield away to a decent Brentford side – as well as a 19 year old on the wing.  Especially 1 being the Icelandic lad who clearly wasn’t ready.

Tish – why hasn’t he been given a chance?  We all love a new signing but he would have been better than the Icelandic lad last night.

Gollini was hardly commited to the cause - his comments upon leaving show that, no one would argue Johnstone hasn't looked up to it so far.

Gardner's deal is a weird one. I hope he's cheap.

I can see his thinking on Gabby against Norwich what with Mr doesn't turn up to training and Mr one of the worst players I've ever seen wear the shirt being the other choices.

Firstly he is terrible, secondly how is the manner in which Middlesborough FC do their business anything to do with Bruce? No one seems to consider the buyer's demands at all when going on about Gestede.

OK, so it wasn't good. But with Jedinak injured would you really have started Gardner and or Bacuna? If so I respect your opinion but disagree wholeheartedly. Green has arguably been our liveliest player in the last couple of games. Personally I dont know why we didnt play Grealish behind Kodjia with a flat 4 behind them but there we go.

Tish obviously has something about him that Bruce disagrees with I think that's fair to say. Considering what's gone on with McCormack I'd be surprised if it's nothing.

• Like 2

Its no good hiding behind new signings as an excuse for performances like that last night and generally the season as a whole.

Its a luxury about 20 of the 24 teams don't have and we manage to use it as an excuse for terrible performances!!

• Like 2

I've seen enough.

We are not going to get anywhere untill the "old" personel and ways are gone.

Some of the new has been contaminated so we are in a state of

Rinse - gets rid of some of the cancer - which grows back into the rinsed.

Repeat - untill manager cant rinse any more.

RDM & Bruce are just stepping stones untill we are completely rid of the "losing" tag.

As soon as DrT see's this the better. Even the next "Rinser" (if there are traces of cancer still here) will be worn out pretty quickly.

Imagine you have an area to clean of 100sqMtr

1 cleaner has the capacity to clean 30% of it then the cleaner is a spent force

so you get the next cleaner in (40% capacity)

and so forth and so on.....

Till you've cleaned the whole lot.

Now we're at the point where

GK is a downgrade

Hutton still playing (Bree when?)

no back up at CB good enough

Chester/Baker showing signs of the strain of having shit L, R and behind them

Richards still here

Amavi performing badly (Taylor upgrade?)

No cover for Jedi

Bacuna, Gardner and Gaby not good enough

Calderwood and Walsh coming in and even worse performances coming out

No progression from Bruce as to play pattern/tactics/plan A, B or C

So what do we have?

A few newbies - upgrades or not?

Now one thing hasnt been looked at is - the one(s) making the decisions

DrT - Check

Wyness - seems to be - check

Round - ?

Bruce - ?

Calderwood - ?

Walsh - ?

That's where I see the problem

Who chose SJ?

Who chose Calderwood?

Who chooses the tactics/style?

Who chose Bruce?

Who Chose Round?

Where is the break in the chain that leads us to the disorganised shit on the pitch away at Brentford losing 3-0 never looking like 0-0 could be 0-1 and more importantly 1-0 looking more like 2-0 3-0 4-0 was the only way it was going to go?

Lambert, our longest serving manager during the plug-pull from RL, had his hands tied.

Bruce has a "support" good will one can only dream of.

Surely that alone is a carrot to dangle in front of a Manager of both style and repute?

I'm at a loss because things are still so shit, and the same shit seems to be recycling.

We lost to Brentford for the 1st time in our history.

Remember when Lambert broke his 1st record? It didnt stop there because we didnt solve the problem.

We need to solve the nows problem.

Bruce, Calderwood and Walsh out.

Round - Time to deliver or go

He'll be under pressure if we don't start performing soon. 

We've got a Championship dream team... aside from the back 5!

He's just bought 7 players in January who could conceivably start most games.

We aren't going to go up this year but show us something Steve, jeez. Show Tony that you're worth giving even more money to.

46 minutes ago, Bunnski said:

Ugh, thinking about watching this dinosaur play shit football for the rest of the season gives me inner rage. Id happily see him replaced by a young manager that understands the modern game and actually encourages his players to hold onto the ball and try string a few passes together and take the game to the opposition. Even the commentator said last night that teams that have gone to Brentford and had a go at them have won comfortably whereas teams that have sat back and tried to counter have struggled. 

We already tried that 

RDM

Garde

Sherwood

Lambert 

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We already tried that 

RDM

Garde

Sherwood

Lambert 

yep, exactly.  

With Bruce we know exactly what we are getting... someone who knows exactly how to get promoted out of the Championship and has done it on multiple occasions.

• Like 1

My only criticism of Bruce for last nights pathetic display is trying to breed in all the signings at once. That to me, is a sign of a clueless manager, way out of his depth. With that wealth of experience, he really should know better. 

I'm still willing to accept it takes time 'to gel' and to develop a tactic that best suits our (new) players. However, we have to see some more improvement in the coming weeks & months. 

If you discount the poor tactics, questionable selections, players looking unmotivated, discipline issues, the inability to react and change up a game in play, and the defence looking completely disorganized, he does know how to get a team promoted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

When he first came in he was making proactive subs early second half to change games... last few weeks has failed to do anything

I really despise this, he should have made two changes at half time. He appears to be another in a line of Villa managers who do not react to what is going on in terms of mid-game tactical changes and substitutions, Bruce got absolutely bested by the Brentford manager who made tactical changes after 15-20 min and never looked back, whilst Bruce was there with his hands in his pockets. 

19 minutes ago, vreitti said:

My only criticism of Bruce for last nights pathetic display is trying to breed in all the signings at once. That to me, is a sign of a clueless manager, way out of his depth. With that wealth of experience, he really should know better. 

I'm still willing to accept it takes time 'to gel' and to develop a tactic that best suits our (new) players. However, we have to see some more improvement in the coming weeks & months. 

I read somewhere that Bruce does like to get close to his players but to have breeded into all of them already is pretty impressive

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, vreitti said:

So, who would you have played in center mid? Bacuna? Gardner? He would have been crucified on here for playing either of those ahead of the new signings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

Gollini was hardly commited to the cause - his comments upon leaving show that, no one would argue Johnstone hasn't looked up to it so far.

Gardner's deal is a weird one. I hope he's cheap.

I can see his thinking on Gabby against Norwich what with Mr doesn't turn up to training and Mr one of the worst players I've ever seen wear the shirt being the other choices.

Firstly he is terrible, secondly how is the manner in which Middlesborough FC do their business anything to do with Bruce? No one seems to consider the buyer's demands at all when going on about Gestede.

OK, so it wasn't good. But with Jedinak injured would you really have started Gardner and or Bacuna? If so I respect your opinion but disagree wholeheartedly. Green has arguably been our liveliest player in the last couple of games. Personally I dont know why we didnt play Grealish behind Kodjia with a flat 4 behind them but there we go.

Tish obviously has something about him that Bruce disagrees with I think that's fair to say. Considering what's gone on with McCormack I'd be surprised if it's nothing.

I'm a Bruce fan, don't get me wrong.  But for all the good work, he needs to be called out on some points.

I'd argue Johnstone hasnt looked up to it so far, spurs aside.  We needed 2pt per game form to get into the playoffs, and we bring in a GK to develop - that isnt even ours to develop.

Gardner agree - he must be cheap.

The Norwich game was early December, and RMC played post this game, so I assume gategate hadnt happened yet.  I wouldn't say Gestede is the worst player i've ever seen in a villa shirt.  I would say the both RMC and Gestede have scored prolifically in this league, and Gabby doesn't score.  So I would have to disagree.

Firstly, hes scored 20 goals the last time he played in this league, and has just moved to a prem club, placed ahead of Jordon Rhodes.  Agree though that Boro could have forced it through.  I personally would have shown to back-bone if this was the case.  He played 3 days before at home to Leeds, after Cardiff we pretty much had 2 weeks off due to FA Cup.

Im glad Green is in the team - looked half decent yesterday.  I was just using his age and inexperience to add to the point of 3 newbies in midfield.  I obviously don't see the guys in training, but Bjarnason looked way off yesterday.  IF he looked like this in training, I would as manager go with a bit more fitness/experience.  Even though that would mean Bacuna.

Fair point on Tish.

4 minutes ago, villianusa said:

So, who would you have played in center mid? Bacuna? Gardner? He would have been crucified on here for playing either of those ahead of the new signings.

Honestly I don't know. I'd have probably started with Lansbury and Hourihane regardless. I think I'd also have gone for Grealish. It really is impossible to say what the hell is wrong at Villa. It don't seem to matter how 'good' a player is, the moment they pull on our claret and blue shirt, they turn to garbage.

I actually refrained from posting last night, mostly to give myself more time to gain some perspective, and in order to minimize the amount of overreactions on here. Sadly it didn't help diddly squat.

I feel really let down at the moment, although we've arguably already played even worse since Bruce arrived. 

I was firmly against the appointment from start. He then almost won me over with the early results, and now all I can see again is a clueless manager. I don't wanna see him sacked, but I'm not expecting anything more than a modest improvement at best. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, philgetaway said:

I'm a Bruce fan, don't get me wrong.  But for all the good work, he needs to be called out on some points.

I'd argue Johnstone hasnt looked up to it so far, spurs aside.  We needed 2pt per game form to get into the playoffs, and we bring in a GK to develop - that isnt even ours to develop.

Gardner agree - he must be cheap.

The Norwich game was early December, and RMC played post this game, so I assume gategate hadnt happened yet.  I wouldn't say Gestede is the worst player i've ever seen in a villa shirt.  I would say the both RMC and Gestede have scored prolifically in this league, and Gabby doesn't score.  So I would have to disagree.

Firstly, hes scored 20 goals the last time he played in this league, and has just moved to a prem club, placed ahead of Jordon Rhodes.  Agree though that Boro could have forced it through.  I personally would have shown to back-bone if this was the case.  He played 3 days before at home to Leeds, after Cardiff we pretty much had 2 weeks off due to FA Cup.

Im glad Green is in the team - looked half decent yesterday.  I was just using his age and inexperience to add to the point of 3 newbies in midfield.  I obviously don't see the guys in training, but Bjarnason looked way off yesterday.  IF he looked like this in training, I would as manager go with a bit more fitness/experience.  Even though that would mean Bacuna.

Fair point on Tish.

Reading it back Ive double negatived my point on Johnstone haven't I?. I agree.

• Like 1

Â