Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Yes the pressing has been a revelation. I haven't seen a Villa side press like that since, I dunno? I think Brian Little's team used to press?

You press teams high enough at this level and they will make mistakes. We're obviously confident enough in our back 5/6 to do so. It's such a simple, repeatable weapon but as I say it's one built on confidence. 

2 hours ago, Xela said:

5 wins in 9 is it? Keep it up Stevie B!

Meaningless but interesting stat time; if the season started on the day Bruce took the Villa job then we'd be 5th.

8 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I was worried when he went a bit "Paul Lambert" late on with the changes, but we kept our shape and it was clear Wigan had given up trying to play football, so all's well that ends well. 

We won the game today, but for his next trick he needs to work more on movement and try and find a way for them to pick these locks a wee bit more efficiently. 

Still very few complaints so far. I think he's a top bloke to boot, I'd love to play for him. 

he has done well so far but dont expect miracles :P I cant remember watching a Villa team with movement in it, couple of players over the years but not too many

8 hours ago, dounavilla said:

Meaningless but interesting state time; if statisticly statistics mean nothing should statistics exist statisticly?

If we'd won at Leeds last week we'd be 5th too - even allowing for our start of one win in 12 games .

this league is very tight and a run of wins will take us away from the pack 

Edited by Eastie

4 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

RDM Is pushing for top spot in my list of shittest  villa managers purely because if we'd have had Bruce from the start I'm convinced we'd be at least 3rd.

Rdm did make some decent signings but he no clue how to use them - Bruce has built a good backroom team as well and when he has signed some of his own players we can really push onwards.

14 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Still don't feel like we put the ball into the box enough. 

We don't and we aren't clinical enough when we do. We need to score more goals and create more opportunities to do so. 

Problem is the midfield but we've all known that was an issue since August.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I don't know if it is luck or judgement, but Bruce is winning games one way or another.

I would love free-flowing football, but if we play poorly and scrape wins, I will take that. Anything to get out of this league.

The players he inherited simply aren't capable of free flowing football, trying to get them to play that way would result problems.

Bruce is pragmatic and his approach to the job reflects that as do the performances and results of the team. I don't think luck comes into it.

He sets expectations and there are consequences for those who fall short, I'd imagine Cissohko's never been shopping so much on a Saturday.

If only we got Bruce this summer before RDM went on his trolley dash.

• Like 2

Â