Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Here's why I'm not excited about this appointment:

1. Prior to RDM, if anyone had suggested we contact Hull and ask them if we can approach Steve Bruce, we would have laughed at them. What has changed?
  2. Our vastly experienced board have taken the easy approach. Go for the guy with the so called 'experience' and 'track record'. Are you really telling me that there are no younger, more talented and ambitious managers out there? And why did we take 10 days to make this decision. Don't tell me it was due diligence. 
  3. Do we think this is a long-term appointment? If not, why not? What happens when we don't get out of this division this season.
  4. He is tainted with a Blue brush. Like it or not, we have that to deal with every time we deal with our Bluenose friends and colleagues.

I really, really hope I'm wrong. I hope they have a Plan B ready and waiting.

I'd also like to know who else was interviewed or on the list.

UTV

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Delighted with the appointment. 4 promotions from this division, and what was his win % in this league? More than 50%? 

283 games

136 wins

48%

Edit - that's from Sheffield through Huddersfield, Palace, Blues and Hull. 

Edit 2 - you can take as fact. I researched it myself splitting out cup games etc. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Average 6th place points total for the last decade is 73.1

We need 1.8 ppg to reach 73. It's tough. Really, really tough. 

He had better perform then. At the start of the season RDM was expected by quite a lot on here to get us promoted in one season from this piss poor division. Steve Bruce has inherited a good squad and no doubt a really hefty transfer kitty for January.

6 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

He had better perform then. At the start of the season RDM was expected by quite a lot on here to get us promoted in one season from this piss poor division. Steve Bruce has inherited a good squad and no doubt a really hefty transfer kitty for January.

He has also inherited a really bad league position. He should in no way be held to the same expectations RDM had with a full season in front of him. 

21 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

He has been out of management 3 months mate not 10 years. He managed in this division last season and others managed to nullify his tactics well enough that Hull came 4th and won the play offs. I am not aware of an influx this season of these so called managers with a modern outlook on football in the Championship that will suddenly render Bruce useless.

Fair enough. I guess most managers in the Championship are relics like Bruce then. Wagner at least seems different, and too me as an interesting proposition. I'm certainly not an expert in regard to this division.

2 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

He has also inherited a really bad league position. He should in no way be held to the same expectations RDM had with a full season in front of him. 

But he is so much better and has a cracking CV with 4 promotions from the Championship.

1 minute ago, vreitti said:

Fair enough. I guess most managers in the Championship are relics like Bruce then. Wagner at least seems different, and too me as an interesting proposition. I'm certainly not an expert in regard to this division.

Wagner's achievements to date are being top with Huddersfield after 11 games. 

That'd be a HUGE gamble. 

• Like 1

If we win our next away game (Reading), he would achieve something in nine days what the last two and a half managers couldn't do.

16 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

And a -10 point handicap. 

18 minutes ago, USA_Villa said:

Here's why I'm not excited about this appointment:

1. Prior to RDM, if anyone had suggested we contact Hull and ask them if we can approach Steve Bruce, we would have laughed at them. What has changed?
  2. Our vastly experienced board have taken the easy approach. Go for the guy with the so called 'experience' and 'track record'. Are you really telling me that there are no younger, more talented and ambitious managers out there? And why did we take 10 days to make this decision. Don't tell me it was due diligence. 
  3. Do we think this is a long-term appointment? If not, why not? What happens when we don't get out of this division this season.
  4. He is tainted with a Blue brush. Like it or not, we have that to deal with every time we deal with our Bluenose friends and colleagues.

I really, really hope I'm wrong. I hope they have a Plan B ready and waiting.

I'd also like to know who else was interviewed or on the list.

UTV

LrgK2Yn.jpg

R6k6lwG.jpg

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

RDM could have failed to get us up this season too but he was sacked because promotion was expected (or a bloody good attempt at it) and didn't look likely. Why does Mr Potato Head get excessively more leniency?

Well, because he starts part way through a season, with someone else's squad and a poor league position.  It would be very odd not to take that into account.

• Like 1

Just now, pacbuddies said:

But he is so much better and has a cracking CV with 4 promotions from the Championship.

Irrelevant.  Bruce has a far harder task to overcome . You just can't shift expectaions over to the next guy when he is at a clear disadvantage to his predecessor. 

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Wagner's achievements to date are being top with Huddersfield after 11 games. 

That'd be a HUGE gamble. 

Absolutely. Hence the wording 'interesting proposition'. 

I'm just disappointed we went for the unemployed, 'tried and tested', safe choice most are so delighted with. I'll change my opinion once we get promoted.

Â