Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Just now, AndyGray1985 said:

I'm sure he does, but usually the support functions are set accordingly - not given in advance. If Bruce has a different philosophy they might not be contributing as much as expected or to their potential

Maybe thats why it took so long to appoint him. They discussed this type of thing?

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Maybe thats why it took so long to appoint him. They discussed this type of thing?

Maybe. From my knowledge of Round he'll be adaptable to the level of transparent as an assistant - how he will work as a TD remains to be seen. No doubt who's the stronger personality of the two, which might make Rounds role redundant

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AndyGray1985 said:

Steve Round and Ian Atkins - unsure which style of football will be pursued. Atkins got sacked by Everton, BTW contrary to the official story

Just realised you/re an Everton fan. Any idea why Atkins got sacked? In terms of transfer business I put Everton up there as one of the best consider the budget over the years. Surely Atkins played a big part in this although Moyes would get the credit?

We need organisation first and foremost which is why a Bruce or Pulis (never in the mix but would have been perfect) are the need of the hour. 

If he can push us to the upper echelons of the division (8th-12th) it will give us the solid base to push for promotion next season.

Edited by West

7 minutes ago, AndyGray1985 said:

Maybe. From my knowledge of Round he'll be adaptable to the level of transparent as an assistant - how he will work as a TD remains to be seen. No doubt who's the stronger personality of the two, which might make Rounds role redundant

You do know that Round has bee named doing a similar role at Man City. Round overseas the club   Ian Atkins is a scout they'll have little input to style of play. 

Just realised you/re an Everton fan. Any idea why Atkins got sacked? In terms of transfer business I put Everton up there as one of the best consider the budget over the years. Surely Atkins played a big part in this although Moyes would get the credit?

14 out of 16 scouts were sacked when Koeman came in, so wouldn't put too much into it. Atkins is most famous for the players he found, but EFC couldn't afford... Not a bad scout, but scouting realistic targets should be a parameter. But EFC were even more in the s*it at the time, financially. Could have had a great team with the players we didn't sign ;-) 

7 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

You do know that Round has bee named doing a similar role at Man City. Round overseas the club   Ian Atkins is a scout they'll have little input to style of play. 

I believe I've given my view on this a bit earlier in this thread

3 minutes ago, AndyGray1985 said:

14 out of 16 scouts were sacked when Koeman came in, so wouldn't put too much into it. Atkins is most famous for the players he found, but EFC couldn't afford... Not a bad scout, but scouting realistic targets should be a parameter. But EFC were even more in the s*it at the time, financially. Could have had a great team with the players we didn't sign ;-) 

Could have had a great team with the players we kept mate, never mind signed. 

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I guess I'm focusing on individual posts I had dialog with but I recall a poster saying 10th this season and worse next before he is sacked. Yet nothing to back it up apart from the fact he was upset with Bruce appointment and he demoralised with villa. I get the latter part but not the first. 

That was me. You obviously didn't bother to read my posts carefully though because I said exactly why I thought that - poor in the transfer market and produces dull unimaginative teams. It's not an exact science but my opinion is that we will be mid table come the end of the season and struggle again next season.

I know the current orthodoxy of the better fan forum is that any criticism of Bruce is not to be tolerated but that's my opinion. You might think different but it doesn't make you right. For the record I don't dislike Bruce I just think he is the wrong choice. 

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm not saying I don't think we can do it, by the way chaps. I was literally just saying, 12 teams and 10 points, he might have more rope than people think. 

Sorry mate misunderstood early. I'd like to believe he hasn't got the 10 point gap as an excuse. 

Could have had a great team with the players we kept mate, never mind signed. 

He found Essien and more than a handful of players who turned out great years before they were household names. But it's history :-)

1 minute ago, VillaCas said:

That was me. You obviously didn't bother to read my posts carefully though because I said exactly why I thought that - poor in the transfer market and produces dull unimaginative teams. It's not an exact science but my opinion is that we will be mid table come the end of the season and struggle again next season.

I know the current orthodoxy of the better fan forum is that any criticism of Bruce is not to be tolerated but that's my opinion. You might think different but it doesn't make you right. For the record I don't dislike Bruce I just think he is the wrong choice. 

Apologies but its hard to read every single post. Its a busy forum.  I take back my comments but i also disagree with your rational considering he got 4 teams promoted.  Does it make me a better fan then you?  HELL YEAH!! ;)

1 minute ago, AndyGray1985 said:

He found Essien and more than a handful of players who turned out great years before they were household names. But it's history :-)

It sounds like a good endorsement of the man considering we have an owner that is willing to spend.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It sounds like a good endorsement of the man considering we have an owner that is willing to spend.

Cech was another, Diarra and Drogba, to name some off my memory. If you have the cash it might be a great fit

Â