Match Thread: Ipswich v Villa

limpid

This is really really poor. There is no coherent plan, the only visible tactic is Grealish cutting inside making space for Amavi, however we are not getting players into the box and we are outnumbered, also the delivery has been quite poor apart from the first minute.

Westwood has again offered nothing, and Grealish is slowing our attacks down, although he doesn't have much option as they have too many players back and very little support. Ayew has been anonymous and Bacuna very poor on the ball. Kodija has tried is best to hold up play but is getting bullied and outnumbered. 

Worryingly our defence is continually getting exposed by Sears' pace on the counter, in particular Elphick. 

I hate to be negative but this really isn't good enough, we need a change of shape, and personnel, the formation isn't working at all.

Looking for a positive, Richards actually looks like a football so far today, compared to his usual self...

RDM just doesn't know his best team, and to not know this after 7 matches and a full pre season is just disgraceful. There seems to be zero understanding between the players about their roles, and nobody seems to know what to do with the ball when they get it. Why we have got 5 defenders starting today is a question on par with why did we have 6 attacking players on the pitch last Sunday when 2-1 up with 10 minutes to go? I just want a manager who understands how to get the best out of the team he has, we undoubtedly have a squad which can get us promoted, just not (in my opinion) the manager to do so.

• Like 2

Hope we change from three at the back in the second half.  Yes it gives us a little extra cover away from home but I don't think we should be quite so cautious, despite recent results.  I'd rather see four at the back and have an extra body in midfield so we can try to get hold of the game.  It's not that we don't have the players.  It must be difficult for them mentally, but we need to start winning so we need to push more players forward.

I've supported Westwood generally but must admit he's been poor in the last couple of games.  Still think he has a squad role to play, and looks better alongside someone more dynamic in central midfield.

Unfortunately this is a result of what happens when there is major overhaul 2 months..

RDM doesn't know his team, each player's fitness levels are different. The players cannot play cohesively. 

We will finish in the top 10 this season even if we win this evening. 

6 minutes ago, KSV said:

At least we won't blow a lead. Leave scoring our goal as late as possible. Only way we win

We've still got 45 minutes to score and still lose, although in fairness, we don't look like scoring.*

* typed because my football predictions are often poor and I really hope I'm wrong.

Don't know if it's Di Matteo being clueless about what he want's the team to do, or if it's the players being too stupid/incompetent to carry out his plan.

Either way it's worrying stuff, we look like a team of happy amateurs when it comes to tactics.

• Like 1