PieFacE

Yeah, I really don't know how to put it any simpler.

It's like someone saying "that car is moving slower than it was before" and another person saying "that car is constantly decelerating" and then claiming that means the same thing.

It quite clearly doesn't.

villa89 said Cech was playing at a level below where he was before. Your statement means he is getting worse and worse as time goes on.

They are not the same thing.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

He gets beat at his near post way too easily, moreso in recent years

I've always thought that with him actually, remember the Benteke goal at Stamford Bridge the other year, indeed also the goal he scored at VP v them in May 2013. Both very well placed shots but Cech could've done a little better.

I think the worry from yesterday would be the 2nd goal, he didn't dive at all quickly for that when a lot of keepers would've tipped that shot round the post.

The 1st was an error but just a misjudgement, he's looked pretty secure with high balls for Arsenal in the pre season games plus they defend deep free kicks with a high line which Chelsea don't so Cech probably over compensated for that and felt he had to come rushing out.

He'll have good games for them I'm sure and win them points but yeah I don't see a huge difference either, they went on a long winning run with Ospina in goal second half of last season remember.

from someone who is not me. Thought share because good posting. (from the guy who ranks all the football players i posted in media thread)

Arsenal - West Ham

First of all credit to West Ham and special mention to Payet who I have doubted in the past. Not that he is one of world's elite delivery-men. that's been more than well established , and having one such, that alone speak volumes about this scoop for West Ham but I mean his overall game here looked very impressive. Of course it was just one game and we'll see what he will be against more defensive teams. 

One thing I've held against him is his career severe lack of dribbling, well what do you know against Arsenal suddenly that was no problem. He has the two-footed ability (most used in his delivery-machinery) and he has the balance. What a scoop this must be.

When it comes Arsenal I just wish these elite attacking midfielders would be consistently optimized similar to the way elite attacking midfielder types have been optimized elsewhere the last few years. Let's ffs get that press organized and working. Start some attacks not from the ground that is zero that means having to combine yourself through an entire 11. Sure they can do that on good days but optimizing these players defensively is what will connect them to getting over the top offensively. If you defend in this conservative block that Arsenal did for good parts of the game you might as well have the athletic players that Xavi thought meant no place for him in football. Well turns out that a way was found into making these small-skill-small size "weak" players into effective players defensively. Make the spaces smaller suiting quickness over power. Arsenal have these players. Get on board Wenger. Sure enough it can often be wise trying to lure opponent forward, having that back-room to expose on counters but with no Walcott and little off-ball pace (Ox is on-ball pace imo until he proves otherwise) West Ham generally had the faster players. It made no sense!

Also, I know West Ham sat pretty deep. Deeper than I thought they had to with Arsenal's only competent off-ball mover towards goal being slower than their centrebacks but they did push up some at least delaying Arsenal pressure by decent amounts. 

Entering Walcott can halt even that and even if he isn't as great against deep-sitting sides, just one single attacking player who moves towards goal-away from ball is just not enough. Everyone else's natural movement and instinct is moving towards ball-away from West Ham goal. Even the one attacking mover (Giroud obv) has significant move towards ball tendencies. Well, all the more reason to have at least one more aggressive off-ball mover TOWARDS OPPONENT GOAL.

Overall, not effective enough from Arsenal on the attacking front. They should be better. 

To be fair to Wenger I'm sure his main worry were West Ham counters and saw no reason to, in his mind gamble. If that worry turned out to be the most accurate thing I'm not so sure. It wasn't one dimensional from West Ham.

Also to be fair Arsenal did have games last season where they pressed well. One of the games they pressed very well in recent times was a game against Manchester United where they lost. That sucked.

And both Giroud and Mertesacker aren't exactly natural ingredients when it comes to the things I think that Arsenal are lacking. I think it can still get to made work, even if not supremely, but maybe both of them is one stumbling block too many. That sucks.

Of course they were also without the standard-bearer when it comes to this. The one man who can lead by example better than anyone. Who they have to follow. Get inspiration from. Alexis Sanchez. I really do think the over the top move is to make him the main attacking weapon and that includes his attacking by the way of his defense. He is the closest thing the league has to Suarez now in the ways he can contribute. Not as good a striker certainly but there is a great weapon to be even further unleashed on the league here. Use it optimally Wenger.

edit: 

should also mention how there really isn't any good reason that the Ox shouldn't be a fantastic "counterpresser", seemingly he has all the tools, then the defensive midfielder COQ who now may or may not be error prone has one characteristic that suits and lifted this team very well, he has better acceleration than just about any defensive midfielder out there. He seems made to defend on the front-foot, fix holes aggressively that may or many not have come out of overall aggressive defending, instead of overall more slow more conservative defending.
Edited by gharperr

I see Jack Wheelchair has been injured again. This time a suspected hairline fracture of his left fibula and he may be out for 3 months or at best 6 to 8 weeks.

Arguably one of the most over rated players ever.

Agreed, and a rocket polisher to boot. If the speculation that Man City were prepared to pay big money for him this year is correct, Wenger needs his looking at.

Not last season but yeah he isn't elite at all imo.

Can't understand why Arsenal went cold on Schnderlein. He was there, available to sign and they went cold allowing Man. United to nip in.

Typical Arsenal. It's almost as if they don't want to win the title and perfectly content with 3rd/4th place.

Yes but Arsenal had control of most of the game and should have won it more confortably. Not that impressed with Palace.

I wouldn't say they were in control at all. They created more chances sure, by I thought they lost the battle in midfield. They seem like classic Arsenal to me, they're a confidence side who might win 10 on the bounce before going 5 games without a win, or vice versa.

They certainly won't win the title as they are now.

I weren't impressed with Arsenal at all in all honesty. Thought they were fortunate to win. Press them in midfield and you can get at them providing they're not having one of those days where they dont misplace a pass.

Yes but Arsenal had control of most of the game and should have won it more confortably. Not that impressed with Palace.

I wouldn't say they were in control at all. They created more chances sure, by I thought they lost the battle in midfield. They seem like classic Arsenal to me, they're a confidence side who might win 10 on the bounce before going 5 games without a win, or vice versa.

They certainly won't win the title as they are now.

Who will win the league then because Chelsea look totally unconvincing at the moment. Man City probably look favourites but I wouldn't write Arsenal off.

I weren't impressed with Arsenal at all in all honesty. Thought they were fortunate to win. Press them in midfield and you can get at them providing they're not having one of those days where they dont misplace a pass.

Meh think they deserved to win too be honest. there was ALOT of last ditch defending by CP. Main problem yesterday for them imo, was giroud. Every time he touched the ball he lost it (apart from GOAT flick in the first 10 mins). His link up was just so so so poor. Which is odd for him. But he got the goal i guess

Arsenal won on expected goals and think they deserved it

CMjTNbIWwAAWJvg.png

(in before scary stats and prefer to use my eyes, before you dismiss, xG is the best future predictor of results so its pretty legit)

Edited by gharperr

Meh think they deserved to win too be honest. there was ALOT of last ditch defending by CP. Main problem yesterday for them imo, was giroud. Every time he touched the ball he lost it (apart from GOAT flick in the first 10 mins). His link up was just so so so poor. Which is odd for him. But he got the goal i guess

Arsenal won on expected goals and think they deserved it

CMjTNbIWwAAWJvg.png

(in before scary stats and prefer to use my eyes, before you dismiss, xG is the best future predictor of results so its pretty legit)

I don't understand what that's telling me? Expected goals? What?

You'd expect over 90 minutes for Arsenal to be the better team, they have "world class" players in their team and it should be a lot more comfortable for them than it was. Which is my point, they weren't that impressive really.  Crystal Palace were able to get at them, create chances and I think were good for a draw. 

Ward should have done much better for Sanchez's/Delaneys goal. And Wickam really should have put them 2-1 up. That was probably the difference yesterday, 2 individual mistakes cost them. And Coquelan (sp) should have been sent off. 

Not an impressive performance by Arsenal at all, a few key things went their way I feel. 

Edited by PieFacE

Interesting, why are you only doing Crystal palace *should/could have" line of thinking. Why arnt you doing it for Arsenal aswell? (that map sort of does it fwiw). Missing the ramsay+sanchez should have scored.

ha trying to spell Coq is the worst. I cant ever do it aswell

ExpG
ExpG stands for Expected Goals. It measures not how many goals a team has scored, but how many goals an average team would have scored with the amount and quality of shots created.
Teams that produce more ExpG than they concede have the best chances of winning football matches

Edited by gharperr

Â