PieFacE

Just before the season began my Arsenal-supporting Bro-In-Law sent me a gloating text enjoying the fact that we had lost Benteke and Delph and offering condolences for the forthcoming season.

Going to lunch with him on Tuesday - should be a happy occasion. :)

Just before the season began my Arsenal-supporting Bro-In-Law sent me a gloating text enjoying the fact that we had lost Benteke and Delph and offering condolences for the forthcoming season.

Going to lunch with him on Tuesday - should be a happy occasion. :)

Be careful you don't make yourself look foolish. They are going to mount a serious title challenge next season.

Hilarious that Cech was at fault for both goals. He hasn't been the same keeper since his head got busted by Stephen Hunt, lost his bravery. He's still better than Smokin' Schzeny though.

His head injury was about a month into the 2006/07 season, if he's been in decline since that day then it's amazing Chelsea stuck with him for so long.  

Personally I think that Cech has always been a little over rated.   He's a fantastic goalkeeper, one of the best in the world, but in recent years people tend to put more and more emphasis on stats (presumably because they are so easy to access) and as a result I think Cech is given far too much credit for 2004/05 when Chelsea only conceded 15 goals all season.  Chelsea don't concede many goals because they don't concede many chances, Cech got a lot of clean sheets at Chelsea because he was playing behind such an organised defence and a solid midfield.  Again, he's not shit or anything and he's still one of the better keepers in the division but I don't think he's this heroic figure who is worth 10-15 points a season.  I don't think he has ever been as valuable to Chelsea as people make out, I certainly don't think he's ever had a season where he has contributed as much to Chelsea as, say, DDG did to Manchester United last year. 

Cech will still have a good season at Arsenal.  He will probably find out it's more difficult playing behind a defence who leave you more exposed than Chelsea do and I'm not sure he's the answer to all of Arsenal's problems.  I'm sure Chelsea fans are getting plenty of mileage out of "Agent Cech" jokes this morning though. :lol:

Hilarious that Cech was at fault for both goals. He hasn't been the same keeper since his head got busted by Stephen Hunt, lost his bravery. He's still better than Smokin' Schzeny though.

His head injury was about a month into the 2006/07 season, if he's been in decline since that day then it's amazing Chelsea stuck with him for so long.  

I didn't say he was in decline, I said that he hasn't been the same. He used to be brave coming for crosses but since then he has looked petrified. Chelsea stuck with him for too long but like a lot of players he lived on his reputation.  As you have said Chelsea's style of play didn't leave him as exposed as he will be at a team like Arsenal who play a high line at the back.

I didn't say he was in decline, I said that he hasn't been the same. He used to be brave coming for crosses but since then he has looked petrified. Chelsea stuck with him for too long but like a lot of players he lived on his reputation.  As you have said Chelsea's style of play didn't leave him as exposed as he will be at a team like Arsenal who play a high line at the back.

Isn't that the same thing?  You are saying he's not as good as he was pre injury.   I'm not so sure he was ever as good as the legend seems to state. 

Surely "in decline" means he's getting worse and worse, whereas villa89 is just saying he's not as good as he was?

Oh. Right.  That's completely different. How silly of me for misinterpreting. 

Personally I think that Cech has always been a little over rated.   He's a fantastic goalkeeper, one of the best in the world, but in recent years people tend to put more and more emphasis on stats (presumably because they are so easy to access) and as a result I think Cech is given far too much credit for 2004/05 when Chelsea only conceded 15 goals all season.  Chelsea don't concede many goals because they don't concede many chances, Cech got a lot of clean sheets at Chelsea because he was playing behind such an organised defence and a solid midfield.  Again, he's not shit or anything and he's still one of the better keepers in the division but I don't think he's this heroic figure who is worth 10-15 points a season.  I don't think he has ever been as valuable to Chelsea as people make out, I certainly don't think he's ever had a season where he has contributed as much to Chelsea as, say, DDG did to Manchester United last year. 

Cech will still have a good season at Arsenal.  He will probably find out it's more difficult playing behind a defence who leave you more exposed than Chelsea do and I'm not sure he's the answer to all of Arsenal's problems.  I'm sure Chelsea fans are getting plenty of mileage out of "Agent Cech" jokes this morning though. :lol:

I largely agree with you, particular about the 'in decline' comments in reference to his head injury.

I'm not sure I agree that he hasn't been as valuable to "Chelsea as people make out" or that he hasn't had a significant impact on their points totals through his performances. I've not watched enough of their games to make an accurate assessment but from the comments of his team mates I'd say that he has made a positive points contribution.

The one thing that I think is absolutely correct though is your comments on what went in front of him at Chelsea which made his job easier. Cech hasn't become a worse keeper since joining Arsenal just as the two CB's in front of him haven't improved because he arrived.

The first goal he conceded yesterday simply wouldn't have happened if he were in goal for Chelsea, he would have had no need to come for that ball because Terry or Cahill would have been there to meet it.

• Like 2

I'm not sure if that's sarcasm... but yeah they actually are pretty different.

I emphatically disagree but maybe there is a level of nuance I'm just not seeing. Gonna concede the point though because it's a silly argument.

Â