PieFacE

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Tydesley gets a load of abuse but he is the only British commentator that I have heard tell you what is going on compared to the storytelling you get from idiots like Tyler

e.g he will tell who the player who is on the ball which is valuable information as not everybody has perfect vision or aware of foreign players in tournaments

I think the main issue with Tydesley is the he has a comically poor knowledge of the game. Tydesley, Ray Hudson and Gary Birtles are the worst 3 that I've heard.

Tyler is superb, he and Gray are one of the best commentary duos in my lifetime. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Tyler never said you wouldn't see it elsewhere. Just that the Premier League has inspiration and invention. But I suppose it doesn't stop people making stuff up so they can have a go.

absolutely this, I get so sick of 'the premier league is terrible', 'atrocious league' bullshit. there's a lot of top class players here, internationals that are important for their country. many players that have played all over europe talk about how difficult it is. very good players in other top leagues have came and done poorly. it's similar to what you said in the spurs thread about Alli.

I feel like a lot of people who talk about the quality of the football in england being poor just say it in absence of having something insightful to say.

• Like 2

The commentators weren't saying that you wouldn't see that goal in any other league,  they were saying you wouldn't see that type of goal twice in the space of days in any other league,  because the premier league is great and whatever. 

6 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

A prime John Motson, Barry Davies and Brian Moore were the best commentators, Tyler like Motson now, is well past his sell by date, pretty much descended into parody these days, and I always preferred Alan Parry to Tyler anyway. Ian Darke was also very good in his day.

BBC's current batch of commentators are pretty damn awful.

Nah Ian Darke is awful for me, should stick to Boxing. He dosen't have a football feel imo...I remember when Sky brought him back for Monday night football around 2006. He was doing a Chelsea game and called the scorer as Lampard even though it was clearly Shevchenko, not the only time he did that during that time.

Motty was past his sell buy date in the late 90s...remember all those England games he used to do and his obsession with people eating their breakfast during the 2002 world cup.

I find Rob Hawthorne alright on Sky aswell, bit dull but sound enough.

Yeah Barry Davies was always one who'd call players and games out if they weren't great rather than just saying everything was brilliant and exciting for the sake of it. Had more composure and intelligence in saying it than Alan Green does nowadays with his imitation.  

5 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I think the main issue with Tydesley is the he has a comically poor knowledge of the game. Tydesley, Ray Hudson and Gary Birtles are the worst 3 that I've heard.

Tyler is superb, he and Gray are one of the best commentary duos in my lifetime. 

It's not a poor knowledge of the game....but he dumbs it down to the audience maybe on ITV orders. It's a bit like that Castle guy on BBC during Wimbledon...I'm sure I heard him say one year it was 7 points to win a tie break. :rolleyes:

Plus Tydesley always banging on about Man. United even if they're not playing.

Just now, VillaChris said:

It's not a poor knowledge of the game....but he dumbs it down to the audience maybe on ITV orders.

I can't agree with that. The way he talks about some foreign teams/players is pretty hilarious.

11 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Xhaka gives away a stupid penalty. 

he is one of the most stupid players I have seem play football. picks up so many idiotic cards

Edited by Zatman

Bournemouth could hammer them tonight if they really want, Arsenal are so open through the middle. At the end of the half Ake ran 50 yards with the ball to the edge of the box and no Arsenal player got within 10 yards of him.

8 minutes ago, DK82 said:

Arsenal should look to Howe at the end of the season. What he has done with Bournemouth is incredible.

I agree. 

For many reasons I think he would be a smart choice not least the way he wants to play football.

His age and relative lack of experience could also make it possible for Wenger to step upstairs and they could retain his knowledge, experience and let's face it draw. 

I suspect Howe would be more open to it than bigger name managers or at least be willing to accept it for the chance at the job.

Removing Wenger is a risk and whoever they appoint is a gamble, established names offer no guarantee as Man United have found.

Arsenal need to make a change and they could do far far worse than go for Howe, I struggle to see who else is a stand out option for them.

Â