PieFacE

Good team @rodders0223

My team had only 1 change. Ljungberg in for Silva

Unlucky were Keown, Overmars, Ian Wright, Fabregas and Van Persie

The lack of recent players speaks volumes IMO

Edited by Xela

Lehmann had a brilliant season year they made CL final but I thought he was average for the other seasons he played, lost his place to Almunia in the end.

Think Sagna's the best RB they've had during the Wenger era, 7 seasons of very consistent performances.

In terms of talent Alexis and Ozil could very easily be in there given what they've achieved at international level but while Arsenal make little impression on the title race and CL I can understand why they're overlooked.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

He only signed 6 of them.

That is a little damning after 20 years in the job in my view.

Think that's a bit harsh. Another came through the youth team under Wenger and 3 of the other 4 (Dixon the odd one out) are possibly one of the best players in their respective positions to grace the premier league. And that midfield is phenomenal 

• 3 weeks later...

Arsenal are having a pretty good season. Topping their champions league group for the first time in 5 years. 2nd in the league as well. I think  Wenger has built up a very strong squad. the options up front are impressive. When you think Perez has hardly played a game! I would not be surprised if they went all the way in both competitions

Edited by PaulC

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Surely the time to judge them is in February and March. That's when their season usually falls apart....CL exit followed by poor league results that rules them out of the title race.

Actually that isn't the case.

It is during November they normally run into issues and they hit good form in March.

On 12/7/2016 at 11:30, PaulC said:

Arsenal are having a pretty good season. Topping their champions league group for the first time in 5 years. 2nd in the league as well. I think  Wenger has built up a very strong squad. the options up front are impressive. When you think Perez has hardly played a game! I would not be surprised if they went all the way in both competitions

Perez is pretty shit and I imagine he will have no say in games that actually matter in their season. 

I also half expect this quote to be dragged up when he scores the goal that wins them the title.

13 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Actually that isn't the case.

It is during November they normally run into issues and they hit good form in March.

Last season on Valentine's day they beat Leicester and were 5 points behind them and then proceeded in their next two games to lose to a Man. United youth team and also Swansea at home.

They've also lost a cup final to SHA in this month....

Plus all the CL exits.

They only go on a great run in March when their top 4 place is in doubt.

BTW on this Alexis and Ozil contract talk...is it just me or is Wenger a massive hypocrite talking about placing value over money. This is the same Arsene Wenger who regularly lets his contract run down to the last few months before signing a new one. He also earns 8m a year which places him in the top 5 European coaches despite not getting to even a CL semi final for 7 seasons now.

Personally if Arsenal fall short again this season I wouldn't blame Alexis if he wanted to move to a Chelsea or Juventus. He wants to win trophies in the prime of his career.

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Last season on Valentine's day they beat Leicester and were 5 points behind them and then proceeded in their next two games to lose to a Man. United youth team and also Swansea at home.

They've also lost a cup final to SHA in this month....

Plus all the CL exits.

They only go on a great run in March when their top 4 place is in doubt.

I thought we were talking about the league, it doesn't really make sense to factor in cups as defeats in cups are always more likely to come in certain months.

In terms of league form, as I said November is usually a time when Arsenal struggle, they normally do well in the turn of the year and through into March.

It has been a fairly consistent them of Wenger's time at Arsenal.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/15118/10639618/arsenals-worst-month-in-arsene-wenger-era-is-november

Arsenal month-by-month Premier League record under Arsene Wenger

Month Played Won Drawn Lost Goal diff. Points per game
January 74 39 23 12 72 1.89
February 71 41 17 13 60 1.97
March 72 48 13 11 69 2.18
April 89 53 27 9 109 2.09
May 60 35 12 13 55 1.95
August 65 35 17 13 56 1.88
September 70 44 18 8 86 2.14
October 74 47 18 9 87 2.15
November 78 36 16 26 32 1.59

On 07/12/2016 at 20:53, Zatman said:

I would be shocked if they won a trophy. every time a bit of pressure comes on when they expected to win, they crumble. awful at United for example, poor vs Spurs

If they're expected to be beating United and Spurs, then surely you really wouldn't be shocked if they won a trophy?  Besides, they didn't even lose those games!

They've only lost once in the league this season - 4-3 against Liverpool.  The only thing stopping them winning the league, IMO, is that Chelsea don't have Europe to contend with.  Arsenal will be right up there, though.

6 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I thought we were talking about the league, it doesn't really make sense to factor in cups as defeats in cups are always more likely to come in certain months.

In terms of league form, as I said November is usually a time when Arsenal struggle, they normally do well in the turn of the year and through into March.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/15118/10639618/arsenals-worst-month-in-arsene-wenger-era-is-november

May 60 35 12 13 55 1.95

Surprising. Though maybe I only really notice their form when they are in the title race and there's been a number of occassions they've fallen off at the end of the season. I probably just don't notice when they're only fighting for top 4 and finish well.

On 3 October 2016 at 20:21, Xela said:

Good team @rodders0223

My team had only 1 change. Ljungberg in for Silva

Unlucky were Keown, Overmars, Ian Wright, Fabregas and Van Persie

The lack of recent players speaks volumes IMO

Not been in this thread for ages and only just seen that team, completely agree, with Vieira covering so much ground I don't think you need petit and silva in there and iirc pires and Ljungberg had the same thing going on that we did under MON with downing/young/Milner, if pires went wide Henry and bergkamp went near and middle Ljungberg had the intelligence to go far post (and vice versa) 

ljungberg had a ratio of 1 in 4.5, pires 1 in 3, would love to know how many assists they got for each other

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

May 60 35 12 13 55 1.95

I do think you need to factor in the cup defeats as that often leads to a downturn in the league.

If you go back to 2010-11 they lost that cup final to SHA, then lost in the FA cup two weeks later and also went out of the CL. That lead  to a decline in the league.

I accept their poor November form but it's not even halfway through the season so I wouldn't say a lack of league wins in that month would kill any title bid.

What I do know is if Chelsea and Arsenal are level on points going into March my money would be on Chelsea winning the league everytime.

Â