PieFacE

27 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Out of touch... how? :| 

For me, he hasn't really changed anything for quite a while now. I suppose that could be down to stubbornness though. It must be infuriating to be a fan of Arsenal, there's certainly clubs that have it worse, but to be so close and have him blow it must get to them. 

In the absence of trophies, Newcastle fans will always have their attendance figures.  Arsenal fans will have their net spend and healthy bank balance :lol:

If I were an Arsenal spending silly money on a season ticket I would have wanted him out ages ago. 

Every year people defend him saying the signings he's just made are going to make all the difference, or that this year is going to be their year, or if XYZ hadn't have got injured it would have all been so different.

But it never is different, is it?

Wenger has done an amazing job at Arsenal, but if the club want to really progress he needs to go. But i'm not sure the club really do want to progress to be honest, as long as they make the Champ League qualifications I don't think they give a hoot.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BOF said:

In the absence of trophies, Newcastle fans will always have their attendance figures.  Arsenal fans will have their net spend and healthy bank balance :lol:

Pretty stunning achievement to constantly finish top 4 to be fair.  The proper money clubs can't even manage that.

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Pretty stunning achievement to constantly finish top 4 to be fair.  The proper money clubs can't even manage that.

Best nearly-men in the business to be fair.  I imagine they'll need a new runner-up trophy cabinet soon.  But they'll have plenty of money to buy one with.

• Like 4

Wenger did a good job balancing the books while the Emirates went through, but for the last 4/5 years when it's not really been a financial issue, he hasn't really progressed them any further. I think the board are too scared to take a step back to go forward, though. Which is probably what would happen if they got rid of him.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Simeone is the obvious on but out of all the big name managers he's the one that I really don't think is suited to English football culture

Or Arsenal's he would just be the wrong fit.

Eddie Howe would be the brave choice.

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Simeone is the obvious on but out of all the big name managers he's the one that I really don't think is suited to English football culture

I'd be surprised if he picks Arsenal over Inter. He seems to love the club despite only playing a few years there, has mentioned he wants to manage them. Pioli's Inter contract is up in summer 2018, Simeone's contract is up in summer 2018. Inter, even without Champions League football the last 2 years have spent £200m to Arsenal's £120m. There's also only 1 team he realistically needs to beat to win the title, and they'll be getting pretty old by 2018/2019.

It really will be interesting to see who they pick though, because they've never had to do it before and are too comfortable just going by with Wenger in charge, but he isn't going to be there forever.

Edited by kurtsimonw

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

Liam Brady (ex-Arsenal youth team supremo) confirmed on Irish TV (while he was still working at Arsenal) that the money is there but that the manager won't spend it. Apparently Wenger didn't want to spend £42m on Ozil because he thought it was too much money but was corralled into it by the board. It's easy for him not to spend the money becaues then he always has an out when he fails. The real risk would be to spend the money and try to compete for the title but then he runs the risk of failure and he's not willing to take that chance. He's happy to play it safe and fool himself into thinking he's losing because of the money Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd, Barca, Real, Bayern spend, not because he's not a good enough manager. The loss of the title last season to Leicester sums it all up. He had a perfect chance to win the league and he blew it. The same failures over and over every season.

I really can believe this. I think at this point it's all about Arsene protecting himself, and his own ego. The stubborn old fool should be booted out the door. Whilst the risk remains, the old be careful what you wish for is a concern, as we saw with the lesser power Charlton (although they didn't help by appointing Dowie FFS)... the time has come for a change. At the end of the day it's a football club that should be more concerned with winning trophies that posting profits.

There are a lot of people on the gravy train though so I expect not much will change until Arsene pops it.

Edited by rodders0223

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

It's easy for him not to spend the money becaues then he always has an out when he fails. The real risk would be to spend the money and try to compete for the title but then he runs the risk of failure and he's not willing to take that chance. He's happy to play it safe and fool himself into thinking he's losing because of the money Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd, Barca, Real, Bayern spend, not because he's not a good enough manager.

Rambo-Likes-Machine-Gun.jpg

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

He would have to totally change his style of play. He's going to Italy anyway.

Â