Steve Round

meme

If a change of manager is in his mind I reckon he will wait to see what happens with Moyes in the summer  at Sunderland rather than twist now. Old pals reunited seems to be his thing so far (not meant as a criticism). Or someone uninspiring like that wretched man Pearson if we do sack Bruce before the summer. 

5 hours ago, thabucks said:

If a change of manager is in his mind I reckon he will wait to see what happens with Moyes in the summer  at Sunderland rather than twist now. Old pals reunited seems to be his thing so far (not meant as a criticism). Or someone uninspiring like that wretched man Pearson if we do sack Bruce before the summer. 

I saw Moyes in the crowd last night - Would feel at home wiTh roUnd , wyness and Atkins- wouldn't want another old school boss though - time for modern thInking.

9 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I saw Moyes in the crowd last night - Would feel at home wiTh roUnd , wyness and Atkins- wouldn't want another old school boss though - time for modern thInking.

oh yeah...forgot all about that till you mention it. I wondered what on earth he'd be doing there when Sky camera panned to him....guessed he was checking us out with next season in mind!

Imagine if that's who they are thinking?...dear god!

• 3 months later...

So Steve Round then..... just reading about Norwich's sporting director Stuart Webber who brought Wagner to Huddersfield and now wants to appoint Wagner's Dortmund replacement in Daniel Farke to take control of Norwich and it got me thinking about the role in general. 

As i still don't fully understand his remit, it's hard to criticise him. I think that Bruce maybe takes Round's share of the blame in last seasons debacle as it is elusive what he actually does and how much say he has over the team so cannot be overly critical. But in fact maybe he deserves his share of the blame as ultimately he is the one overseeing the clubs development alongside Wyness. 

5 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Loving the negativity, Bruce is bad so let's have a go at Wyness last week now Round. I know, let's sack the board and start again, we can afford it. 

It's easy to say any criticism is just banging the negativity drum, and I fully understand how that critical opinions can come across that way. However Round's broad remit is to shape the Aston Villa way and it's difficult to see what he has achieved so far. 

Of course it's very early days to assess what he has achieved, especially as his job whilst being high profile, isn't carried out in the full glare of public attention. We all have to wait to see what the future holds, but ultimately nobody gets a free pass. 

• Like 2

Wasn't he last in so to speak whilst he finished his contract with Man City? I don't think he started until September.

Any hoo - I'd say first team duties my have fallen purely at the feet of RDM and Bruce this season. Round as far as I know was tasked with rebuilding the completely non existent infrastructure behind the scenes. Re-building our scouting network, piecing the youth process back together hiring different sporting people that top flight clubs need these days.

As Dave alluded to above, there's very few people privy to what he does, and probably some confusion as to where he comes into the first team. From what I've read from numerous sources, he is Mr Bodymoor heath and this season has been building how we operate there.

• Like 1

I think this has been posted a few times. But I'd never properly watched it.

The last 5 mins he talks about his role at Villa. Looks like he doesn't really have anything to do with how we play or are coached. Very geared towards the academy, correct staff in right postions, and building the global brand.

Interesting watch

• Like 2

I seem to remember Round saying that ensuring the first team get results is the responsibility of Steve Bruce.  - Which seems to cover SR arse - nice work if you can get I suppose.

14 hours ago, hippo said:

I seem to remember Round saying that ensuring the first team get results is the responsibility of Steve Bruce.  - Which seems to cover SR arse - nice work if you can get I suppose.

hmmm the manager ensuring the first team get results? Is there a team on the planet where that isn't the case?

Still ignore the facts and have a pop. That's the way.

2 hours ago, villan_007 said:

hmmm the manager ensuring the first team get results? Is there a team on the planet where that isn't the case?

Still ignore the facts and have a pop. That's the way.

What facts ? 

1 hour ago, hippo said:

What facts ? 

Watch the video - he said he'd been playing / coaching / being a number two for 20yrs. He'd had enough.

The only reason he took the Villa job was that he could concentrate on his new career. Building the academy, Sports science and nutrition, recruiting heads of departments. Establishing a culture at the club. Global branding. Of course he is available to the first team and makes sure everything is in place for them but coaching, style of play is down to the manager and his staff.

Essentially people turning on him because they believe he is responsible for  creating a style of play are wide of the mark.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, villan_007 said:

Watch the video - he said he'd been playing / coaching / being a number two for 20yrs. He'd had enough.

The only reason he took the Villa job was that he could concentrate on his new career. Building the academy, Sports science and nutrition, recruiting heads of departments. Establishing a culture at the club. Global branding. Of course he is available to the first team and makes sure everything is in place for them but coaching, style of play is down to the manager and his staff.

Essentially people turning on him because they believe he is responsible for  creating a style of play are wide of the mark.

I have watched the video. What you have listed there is all pretty basic stuff to be honest. Not quite sure how he impacts on global branding ? - nor I am sure what he does day by day that 'establishes a culture'.

We don't really have a style of play, and the coaching side seems to be lacking - so perhaps his recruitment hasn't been that effective. 

My impression is that his role seems a bit of a nothing role, there been little impact so far (cause and effect ?) - to be honest I don't think he will be here that long.

Brian little could do (be doing ) what he does on a part time basis. 

13 hours ago, hippo said:

I have watched the video. What you have listed there is all pretty basic stuff to be honest. Not quite sure how he impacts on global branding ? - nor I am sure what he does day by day that 'establishes a culture'.

We don't really have a style of play, and the coaching side seems to be lacking - so perhaps his recruitment hasn't been that effective. 

My impression is that his role seems a bit of a nothing role, there been little impact so far (cause and effect ?) - to be honest I don't think he will be here that long.

Brian little could do (be doing ) what he does on a part time basis. 

You must of watched it with the sound down. You've dismissed the entire industry of sports science as basic stuff and think brian little could do the job part time? 

Admitted you have no idea whats going on, dismissive an negative for the hell of it.

Baffling rubbish.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, villan_007 said:

You must of watched it with the sound down. You've dismissed the entire industry of sports science as basic stuff and think brian little could do the job part time? 

Admitted you have no idea whats going on, dismissive an negative for the hell of it.

Baffling rubbish.

I wasn't even aware Id mentioned sports science. but Hey ho. Lets assume thats Rounds area of expertise - wheres the impact ? - do the players look fitter ? - have we had less injuries ? 

If fact lets say Round hadn't arrived last september - do you think the club would have finished significantly lower in the table without him ? 

37 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I presume he'll be put in charge of our new manager search as and when?

Main two managers he's worked with in the past are Moyes and McClaren....:ph34r:

The dream team. 

Â