The Championship thread

TrentVilla

Butland getting some stick on the Stoke forums. Been at fault for a couple of goals this season at least according to them.

I'm glad we got Heaton

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Butland getting some stick on the Stoke forums. Been at fault for a couple of goals this season at least according to them.

I'm glad we got Heaton

I've said it before but for an apparent "top class" keeper Butland hasn't half conceded a huge amount of goals last 2-3 seasons.

Of course they're not all his fault but keeping is more than making Youtube saves, it's about organising the back 4 so they don't get dragged out of position easily and clearly if Stoke are conceding 2-3s against mediocre teams that is happening.

On 08/08/2019 at 19:47, useless said:

I mentioned in the small heath thread, but Reading have really gone under the radar with some of their signings this summer, they've brought in Pușcaș from Inter Milan for big money and who looks to have an excellent goal scoring record, Joao from Wednesday also for big money, Pele from Monaco who has consistently been linked to Wolves in recent times, Michael Morrison from Small Heath who was their captain and one of their few decent players, Ejaria from Liverpool who I don't know anything about, but he's an England U21 international, and today they've signed Kenedy from Chelsea on loan. It could go horribly wrong if all these players fail to settle in, but if it clicks they could be a surprise package.

Another loss for Reading.

They'll be fighting relegation like last few seasons. Don't think there's much spirit at that club.

Just seen Stoke's next two games are at home to Derby and Leeds.

Would imagine odds on Nathan Jones being first manager sacked have dramatically come down today.

Was doing great stuff at Luton but for whatever reasons his methods can't translate to Stoke even though they've completely overhauled the squad that came down from premier league.

Little bit similar to Lambert with us perhaps. What worked for him at Norwich simply didn't here for many reasons.

38 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm glad we got Heaton

To be fair to Butland he is probably still gutted he is at that shithole 😂

30 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Just seen Stoke's next two games are at home to Derby and Leeds.

Would imagine odds on Nathan Jones being first manager sacked have dramatically come down today.

Was doing great stuff at Luton but for whatever reasons his methods can't translate to Stoke even though they've completely overhauled the squad that came down from premier league.

Little bit similar to Lambert with us perhaps. What worked for him at Norwich simply didn't here for many reasons.

Stoke are like we were, just stuck in a huge rut. Their squad is huge and a lot have played at a higher level but can't seem to gel. 

They've also got people like Diouf, Imbulla and Wimmer not even in the squad. Two of those cost £18m each! 

• Like 1

Stoke's problem is scoring goals, last season in the whole of the Championship only Bolton and Ipswich scored fewer, this was despite spending nearly £30m on attacking players such as McClean, Tom Ince, and Afobe. This summer they've loaned out Afobe after paying £12m for him last summer, replaced him with Hogan, and brought in Gregory and Powell on free transfers, not sure if that's going to fix their problems in front of goal. Was surprised to see that quite a few people were tipping them for promotion before the season started.

Just watched the Charlton v Stoke goals.

1st Charlton goal - no idea what Butland was doing....its a weird goal, looks almost like the ball went straight through him, like he was an ethereal being or something.....

2nd Charlton goal - nothing he could do about it, same for the 3rd tbh.

That 1st goal is surreal though.

7 hours ago, Xela said:

I'm glad we got Heaton

Dreadful keeper, saying it all along

14 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Cannot see the logic in having a '£20m' goalkeeper in the Championship when the rest of your team is that shite.

Yep, could have sold him for £10m and got in a couple of £5m (i.e less than John McGinn) players and use someone akin to John Ruddy or Tim Krull or Jed Steer in goal. 

Edited by sidcow

Stoke tried to call teams bluffs and its backfired. He's a depreciating asset. They'll sell him in January or next summer for less than they've probably been offered this window. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

How the hell did reading land this guy. He was brilliant at the u21 euros.

He was close to joining small heath apparently 

Â