Squad / Team - how do you see it?

Dodgyknees

15 hours ago, thunderball said:

Good sport Michael, but I genuinely would be interested in your team when the window closes as you have a unique view amongst many sheep here (of which I am one)?

Thanks, tb. No problem. I'll be more than happy to post my team once all the signings are completed.

Don't expect it to be much different from teams I've already posted though. Can't say I am thrilled with the players we have been linked with so far.

Edited by Michael118

26 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Thanks, tb. No problem. I'll be more than happy to post my team once all the signings are completed.

Don't expect it to be much different from teams I've already posted though. Can't say I am thrilled with the players we have been linked with so far.

you aren't happy with Lansbury/Hourihane?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Boumasbabies said:

.......................Johnstone........................

.............Chester.............Baker................

Bree..............................................Amavi

..............Lansbury..........Jedinak............

Adomah............Hourihane..............Thor

..........................Kodjia.............................

Much better balance to the midfield. Jedi sits and allows Lansbury to drive forward and dictate play

giphy.gif

So, looking toward the end of the season now as I still can't see us getting into the play-offs, let alone winning them.

Kozak, Hutton, Bunn and Johnstone are going to be out of contract so I won't include them in the squad.

GK: Steer

RB: De Laet, Bree

CB: Chester, Baker, Elphick

LB: Amavi, Calder

RM: Adomah, Bacuna

CM: Lansbury, Hourihane, Jedinak, Tshibola

LM: Bjarnason, Green

AM: Grealish

ST: Kodjia

Thats 18 players, I'd be aiming for 22 with academy products not included in that number (Calder and Green) they can supplement. I'd say allow Bjarnason more time as a CM if it is his favourite position, bring in a good winger. A good goalkeeper too, we could offer silly money and wages to Pickford before Prem teams snatch him. A centre back to potentially break up the Chester/Baker partnership, although I'd have no problem with us signing a promising player who's a future Prem player, to push Elphick down the pecking order. A strong attacking mid option for this league and 2 decent strikers to add competition for Kodjia. 

All of this means I've assumed the following will leave, along with expiring contracts: Sanchez, Veretout, Gil, Cissokho, Richards, Ayew, Agbonlahor, Westwood, Gardner, McCormack.

In total, that means 14 players will leave the club in the summer which seems a lot again, but looking at that figure, 7 of those haven't played for us since October at the latest, the rest are squad players at best really who are ageing, in positions we have enough cover in, on too high wages for their contribution to the side, or all three of those. The only exception is Ayew who I'd rather stay, but he's a difficult one to fit into the side and if someone is offering good money, it makes sense to part ways. 

Edited by skarroki
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Michael118 said:

most probably be

Bunn

Hutton Richards Elphick Ally

Westwood Gardner

Bacuna                  McC

Gaby Kozak

Edited by Grasshopper
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Boumasbabies said:

.......................Johnstone........................

.............Chester.............Baker................

Bree..............................................Amavi

..............Lansbury..........Jedinak............

Adomah............Hourihane..............Thor

..........................Kodjia.............................

Much better balance to the midfield. Jedi sits and allows Lansbury to drive forward and dictate play

I'd drop Jedinak to be honest

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KHV said:

I think Jedinak will be able to complete more passes when his midfield partners actually move and show for the ball. Not to absolve him, as his passing has been woeful, but he's a good protector of the back four and I think he's a good extension of the Baker / Chester partnership.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KHV said:

Yeah.

In games we're expected to dominate I'd like to see Hourihane instead of Jedinak, and Grealish in the spot behind the striker.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah.

In games we're expected to dominate I'd like to see Hourihane instead of Jedinak, and Grealish in the spot behind the striker.

Same here, to be honest we should be dominating almost everyone

• Like 1

Johnstone

Bree            Chester      Baker               Amavi

Hourihane      Lansbury

Bjarnason               Grealish                Ayew

Kodjia

Bunn

Richards

Elphick

Bacuna

McCormack

Agbonlahor

Adomah

I think we now have 2 CMs who will be able to (at least) hold their own in midfield as a pair, rather than relying on a third pair of legs in there. A massive problem for us so far has been that we've had nobody to play an accurate vertical ball in midfield. Instead, it's inevitably recycled back to the CBs and out to the full-backs. This either leads to Hutton humping it into row Z, or Amavi giving it to an attacking mid who has dropped to halfway, and still has the whole defense to beat (with only 2 attack-minded teammates for assistance). Hourihane and Lansbury can not only allow us to play an extra AM, they can also pass it in between the opposition lines, finding Jack, Ayew, et al in space, and allowing them to get turned and attack. Bjarnason isn't quick or technical, but he's a workhorse and can provide energy with and without the ball. He and Ayew are both quick to get back into shape when possession is lost, so I feel we can live without a Jedinak in the middle. I actually think that having an able midfield behind him would suit McCormack too, but he obviously has a lot of work to do to prove himself worthy of another chance. If I'm greedy, Rhodes and versatile full-back cover would be great, given how we've struggled without Kodjia, and the trend of Hutton's rivals getting injured!

• Like 2

According to Birkir, Bruce see's him mostly as a central midfielder. So I guess he'll either play in a three man midfield with Hourihane and Lansbury or give them some competition.

Edited by bose

With Conor and Lansbury in the middle I think Grealish will be on the left side, if he plays through the middle it will get a bit tight in there. Jedinak would be behind these two in the pecking order, unless we lose Baker to injury and need his strength in the air. With the players we have now its crying out for a 4-4-2 or 4-1-4--1, there are loads of options, Bruce has really shown his strengths in this transfer season, managed to balance the squad and hardly spent a penny. I can see Ayew going and another coming in.  

1 hour ago, bose said:

According to Birkir, Bruce see's him mostly as a central midfielder. So I guess he'll either play in a three man midfield with Hourihane and Lansbury or give them some competition.

Which maybe points to a 4-3-3?

Johnstone 

Bree    Baker    Chester    Amavi 

Bjarnason   Lansbury  Hurihane 

Adomah     kodjia   Gabby/Green

I wouldn't be suprised to see Bruce line up like that. (I'm not a fan of Gabby, but Bruce clearly is)

Its a shame McCormack has turned into a rocket polisher, in that formation, i would have liked to have seen him up top with kodjia coming in from the left in place of Gabby. 

Edited by av1

Johnstone

Bree      Chester      Baker       Amavi

Jedinak

Adomah  Lansbury  Hourihane  Ayew

Kodjia

It'll be really interesting to see how Bruce sets his side up now - that left midfield spot is very much up for grabs with Ayew, Grealish, Bjarnason and Green fighting for it. I can see Jedinak keeping his place, he'll probably look a lot better with the new midfielders around him, and there's no doubt that he makes us hard to beat as he's a presence in front of the defence. 

It was interesting to go back to the early days of this thread from August and September and read a lot of comments of how confident people were that our midfield would be decent in this division. 

Those who thought Jedinak and Tshibola would just come in and dominate this league.... 

I fully expect Lansbury and Hourihane to be very successful here. Not so sure about Bjarnason, I think he might be the one who struggles, but I certainly won't write anyone off. We should be a lot better in possession than we have been. 

There's no doubt in my mind that if the midfield can create more then all of Kodjia, McCormack, Gabby and Ayew can hit the net for us but they have to step up and perform.