Squad / Team - how do you see it?

Dodgyknees

Saying a full-back who's good at going forward should be playing on the wing is quite simplistic though. Quite often a full-back will have nowhere near the guile and skill required to be a winger. They'll have much less space in front of them as an out-and-out winger. I would try him there but there's certainly no guarantee it will work, especially with the dreadful form he's been showing.

12 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Amavi doesn't deserve to be in the side for me. I agree with your 4-4-2 but would definitely have any of Grealish, Green or Bjarnason over him.

I agree. Green deserves a run, especially as we're now not expected to make play-offs so hopefully less pressure on him. Think Bruce will stick with 4-5-1 next game, Jedi (if fit) for Thor, starts for Bree and Taylor too but otherwise unchanged - Lansbury and Hourihane need games if we ever want them to settle.

11 hours ago, maqroll said:

Elphick in for Chester next game, Chester looks like he needs a break.

Drop Hutton and Amavi for the new boys, go 4-4-2 with Hogan up top. 

If the team looks flat, sharpen the axe

Chester + Baker far better than Elphick + Baker. 

Think the main problem is the keeper in all honesty. We've looked a bag of nerves since he came in.

• Like 1

Johnstone 

Bree    Chester   Baker   Taylor

Jedinak 

Lansbury     Hurihane 

Adomah       Hogan      Kodjia 

I think Bruce will go with this as his preferred 11. 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

Johnstone 

Jedinak 

Lansbury     Hurihane 

Probably what I'd go for as well (assuming Bree is decent). Gollini > Johnstone as well IMO but that team on paper is very strong for The Championship.

19 minutes ago, av1 said:

Johnstone 

Jedinak 

Lansbury     Hurihane 

That team looks pretty ordinary to me. I don't think that team contains much quality and it certainly doesn't excite me. It's just a collection of bang average championship players with a couple of players capable of producing a bit more. I think the keeper is suspect at best.

To me that's not a promotion side I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Time to plan for next season - huttons contract is up so let's get bree blooded and settled in the team and give Jed steer a run if fit - Bruce needs to find a settled style formation and team and hit the ground running come August .

Hutton and Johnstone are only here till the summer so no point persevering with them besides the fact they are both poor .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

I would go -

Johnstone (steer if fit)

bree     Chester      Baker    Taylor 

Jedinak 

lansbury    Hourihane    Grealish 

Hogan kodija 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, KHV said:

That team looks pretty ordinary to me. I don't think that team contains much quality and it certainly doesn't excite me. It's just a collection of bang average championship players with a couple of players capable of producing a bit more. I think the keeper is suspect at best.

The front 6+Chester are proven and good players at this level, to call them average is a bit harsh. Keeper is shit though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, av1 said:

Johnstone 

Jedinak 

Lansbury     Hurihane 

I thought this exact set up too - can see Bruce wanting to stick to a formation that has worked previously but not being afraid to replace the likes of Amavi and Hutton.

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

I thought this exact set up too - can see Bruce wanting to stick to a formation that has worked previously but not being afraid to replace the likes of Amavi and Hutton.

I think grealish has more in his locker than adomah  but agree with the other 10 

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

I think grealish has more in his locker than adomah  but agree with the other 10 

There were glimpses yesterday from Grealish, he can give us such a big boost if he's on form - so yeah I would be tempted too. Think I saw a stat last night that Adomah has featured in every game this season - maybe he would benefit from some healthy competition.

Johnstone

Hutton  Chester Baker Amavi

Hourinhane Jedi  Lansbury

Adomah                          Green

Kodjia

• Like 4

So after seeing tonight's performance, how does everyone else see the team going forward?

Stick with the three at the back?

Kodjia and Hogan in a forward two?

Personally I think Jedinak has to play when fit - he makes us difficult to beat even though he's an awful passer.

2 hours ago, KJT123 said:

Personally I think Jedinak has to play when fit - he makes us difficult to beat even though he's an awful passer.

Jedinak in a 3 with Lansbury and have a raffle before the game to see who plays in midfield with them.

(a)

Johnstone 

Hutton  Chester  Baker  Amavi

Jedinak

Bacuna  Gardner  Hourihane

Kozak   Agbonlahor

Bunn Sellars Kodjia Bree Grealish Lansbury Elphick

(b)          

Johnstone

Hutton  Chester   Baker    Amavi

Jedinak

Bacuna    Hourihane

Grealish

Kozak   Agbonlahor

(c)              

Johnstone

Hutton      Chester       Baker       Amavi

Jedinak

Bacuna    Lansbury   Hourihane   Bjarnason

Agbonlahor/Kozak/Kodjia/Hogan

Edited by Michael118

On 01/02/2017 at 11:01, KHV said:

Fair analysis based on what you've seen of these players for Villa, but you haven't seen much and you haven't seen that formation, so let's give it a chance, otherwise, we truly might as well just slump into that never ending depression.