Technical Director

hippo

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

What credentials do you require to be a Technical or Football Director?

The 'role' seems to have existed for 15 years or more in this country and I still couldn't give nor have heard a clear definition on what they actually do.

I always envisage a TD to have a high level overview of the running of the club, and the ability to oversee all elements from recruitment, staff and players, and an ethos from kids through to the first team.

Steve Round is well respected coach, but i can't see how the jump from assistant manager to TD is a natural one. I am more than happy to be wrong, and will support any appointment until given reason not to. It does seem a strange one on paper.

To be honest, unless you're a Sun journalist, I really don't get what's so difficult to understand. There are generally 30-50 coaches and tens of teams at large clubs all the way from juniors through to the first team, and someone needs to oversee this, the coaching, the sports science, the scouting network etc.

Great addition to the club IMHO and another great footballing person at the club more importantly.  

Who gives a toss what his role is called... rather have a decent coach than some tosser we have no idea on what he can do...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

Completely underwhelming. Jobs for the lads from Wyness potentially. 

What possible credentials does a former assistant manager have to become a Technical Director?

I'd say just as many as the 'experts' on this and other forums 

:-)

18 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Wasn't it Steve Round that was suggested for Remi Garde's assistant manager? Or was that someone else. 

Yes, they tried to force Round on Garde as Assistant Manager at the time I think but Remi thought Eric Black would be better. Remember Remi Garde? Goodness me that was a real low point. And just think - if that had happened I don't think we'd have been considering Round now.

It is a little concerning that Paddy Riley tried to bring him in before, and now, he could be coming in again whilst Riley is still at the club as 'jobs for the boys' stuff worries me Riley will still play a part in the club when after last year he should be anywhere near us. I think the Everton connection between Wyness and Round is more likely to be more important though.

Without knowing the role, or much more about Round I've no idea what I think of him coming in. I wasn't aware of the work he'd been doing at Man City and surely that has to be a positive?

• Like 1

Wasn't Les reed a terrible short-term manager for charlton? Or have I got the wrong bloke? I don't know his background but he's been at Southampton and clearly done a good job so if I am right then perhaps history isn't overly important?