Technical Director

hippo

Steve Round reported (not sure which paper, only seen a screen shot of the text, but looks like it might be something like the sun) as being about to be appointed 'Football Director'. Presumably that's the same job as 'Technical Director', he was also apparently at the game yesterday.

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Steve Round reported (not sure which paper, only seen a screen shot of the text, but looks like it might be something like the sun) as being about to be appointed 'Football Director'. Presumably that's the same job as 'Technical Director', he was also apparently at the game yesterday.

I don't think that there is any truth in this. He probably was at the game because we play Derby on sat, and he coaches there.

5 minutes ago, useless said:

If that's true then it's a bizarre appointment.  He's only ever been a coach or assistant 

Steve Round is set to become Aston Villa’s new technical director, the Birmingham Mail understands.

After a thorough and extensive search the Villa board have decided that the ex-Everton and Manchester United assistant boss is the ideal candidate to drive the club forward.

On Saturday he sat in the directors’ box as the claret and blues recorded their first win in six months with a 3-0 victory over Rotherham.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/exclusive-aston-villa-set-unveil-11747181

Bit of a weird one that 

Edited by Farlz

1 minute ago, villan-scott said:

Completely underwhelming. Jobs for the lads from Wyness potentially. 

What possible credentials does a former assistant manager have to become a Technical Director?

Whilst I understand your point, isn't Les Reed (from Charlton catastrophe fame) in a similar job at Southampton? He's not done badly there.  

He seems highly rated as a coach but i guess we don't know what responsibilities he will have as TD. 

I would assume RDM is in charge of transfer policy, judging by the amount of activity going on now. 

6 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

What does a Technical Director do?

Oversees all coaching and player development from kids through to the first team. Ensures there is a unified structure all the way through (eg. There is no point the u9s playing 4231 counter attack if the first team is playing 442 tiki taka). Makes sure relevant coaches are hired to implement this. I imagine all the sports science stuff falls under his remit too. Basically all the stuff the manager shouldn't have to do so he can focus on the first team. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mwj said:

Oversees all coaching and player development from kids through to the first team. Ensures there is a unified structure all the way through (eg. There is no point the u9s playing 4231 counter attack if the first team is playing 442 tiki taka). Makes sure relevant coaches are hired to implement this. I imagine all the sports science stuff falls under his remit too. Basically all the stuff the manager shouldn't have to do so he can focus on the first team. 

Sounds like you would need someone with years of coaching experience for that kind of role, rather than the commercial and corporate experience that someone like Cortese has (I imagine the type of name many of us were expecting).

22 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Sounds like you would need someone with years of coaching experience for that kind of role, rather than the commercial and corporate experience that someone like Cortese has (I imagine the type of name many of us were expecting).

Yeah, I believe the role is all about organisation and reviewing player training performance and managing coaching staff. A job for the elusive 'football man'.

Edited by a m ole

16 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Don't get why people are saying its underwhelming, as I'd have no idea who'd be a good signing. Let's just trust the club to have done their homework and get someone in they want.

Agree, who is a good signing as a TD. A more well known name? what credentials do you need? I would say working at Everton and Man Utd brings a pretty good background and sound level of knowledge.

If RDM is ok with it then surely thats fine. According to reports he will be responsible for recruitment with RDM having the final say. Fine. He cant be worse than Paddy Reilly, can he?

Edited by imavillan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

Completely underwhelming. Jobs for the lads from Wyness potentially. 

What possible credentials does a former assistant manager have to become a Technical Director?

What credentials do you require to be a Technical or Football Director?

The 'role' seems to have existed for 15 years or more in this country and I still couldn't give nor have heard a clear definition on what they actually do.

12 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Agree, who is a good signing as a TD. A more well known name? what credentials do you need? I would say working at Everton and Man Utd brings a pretty good background and sound level of knowledge.

If RDM is ok with it then surely thats fine. According to reports he will be responsible for recruitment with RDM having the final say. Fine. He cant be worse than Paddy Reilly, can he?

Without being pedantic it's not and shouldn't be classed as a signing either. 

Its a a boardroom appointment.