James Chester

KJT123

Honestly, i just think a 5 ft 11 CB doesnt cut it at the higher levels, might also be part of our weakness at set plays, if we had a couple of 6ft 1 / 6ft 2 or above CBs it would prob help us a lot (obviously Tuanzebe is on loan so i mean for purchases in Jan)

I wonder if Terry's instruction and guidance last season, as well as Terry being v good in the air and reading the game, made Chester look better than he was and covered up for his weaknesses?

Also the system probably helped him, the Bruce defensive system covered up some of his issues, lack of height/strength, lack of pace etc.

Dont get me wrong, im not a hater, i think chester is ~ok~, i just dont think he suits the DS system, in every game since DS joined he treats the ball like its going to explode, he just looks scared even before the game starts.

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Honestly, i just think a 5 ft 11 CB doesnt cut it at the higher levels, might also be part of our weakness at set plays, if we had a couple of 6ft 1 / 6ft 2 or above CBs it would prob help us a lot (obviously Tuanzebe is on loan so i mean for purchases in Jan)

I wonder if Terry's instruction and guidance last season, as well as Terry being v good in the air and reading the game, made Chester look better than he was and covered up for his weaknesses?

Also the system probably helped him, the Bruce defensive system covered up some of his issues, lack of height/strength, lack of pace etc.

Dont get me wrong, im not a hater, i think chester is ~ok~, i just dont think he suits the DS system, in every game since DS joined he treats the ball like its going to explode, he just looks scared even before the game starts.

140514134022-fabio-cannavaro-world-cup-t

• Like 2

Also, thinking about it, last season we were more defensive, we had Terry and Jedinack, who likely covered for his deficiencies in the air, and strength wise.

With the strikers these days, a lot are big units.

Edited by MaVilla

Just now, MaVilla said:

not sure if that is agreeing or disagreeing with me?? :P

Was just joking as I don't think that you necessarily have to be a giant at CB to cut it at the top level.?

However I must admit I prefer it when we have taller centre backs as they appear more commanding.

Good player, massively out of form. Been poor all season. Same as Grealish.

If you look back to his first season it never clicked with Elphick but he looked better alongside Baker. Suggests he can't be the dominant CB of the two and needs one alongside him who's good in the air while he can drop off and read the play.

Can't be the lead CB alongside Axel who's done well in recent weeks.

Edited by VillaChris

18 hours ago, Zatman said:

He was at right centre back when the goal was scored

No, he wasn’t. I’m not saying he wasn’t at fault for the goal though. He made a shocking error, but he can not play on our left side of defence. He completely changes and cannot use his left foot to defend, so tends to shape his body incorrectly all the time to try to use his right foot. He is not good on the left side, but no question about it he’s the best defender at the club when he’s played on the right side.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Been veey poor this year. I think the lack of protection in front if the back four and the diabolical goal keeper is having a impact on him 

More so the keeper in my opinion. Our centre halves are under pressure all game without any respite by a keeper coming and claiming the ball now and then. 

They are literally having to head the ball away a yard in front of him at times. 

Whilst inexusable, the mistakes are inevitable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

More so the keeper in my opinion. Our centre halves are under pressure all game without any respite by a keeper coming and claiming the ball now and then. 

They are literally having to head the ball away a yard in front of him at times. 

Yes I would agree with that. Nylands gash. We won't go up with him in goal.  Needs to be sold in janaury and a solid replacement purchased

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Yes I would agree with that. Nylands gash. We won't go up with him in goal.  Needs to be sold in janaury and a solid replacement purchased

we can't get buyers for our  **** ups.

On 27/10/2018 at 11:07, MaVilla said:

Its a real big issue for me.

If you are relatively small, in this position, you have to be world Class.

Most of this divisions teams, that are doing anything of note, their centre backs are huge.....until we join this group on this issue, I can't see the necessary progress to gain promotion.

Middlesbrough are not that good, but Ayala and Flint emulate another Cardiff.....Tim Klose, Pontus Janssen and Toni Leistner other examples......these are the sorts we should be signing.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Its certainly another issue and a valid one.

Â